• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Hammer (shark stamp) Review

Paulie

Birdie Member
Innova Hammer (shark stamp)
Mid range
DX
178g
Bought used. 8/10. $10

This disc measures 9 inches across. It's bigger than most; the size of an Innova Shark. According to the internet, mainly DGCR :p, this is Innova's second Hammer. The first was smaller and had a hammer stamp. This is DX and is softer and more flexible than my other DX.

I played 18 baskets in a light breeze using only the Hammer. RHBH, mostly.

Longest D, 270 feet. Not bad, considering 300 is my all out max.

My accuracy is not all that good to begin with. This disc made it worse. It seems to have a lot of turnover. The disc even angles up on a rightward slant as it does. That may be useful to some, just not to me right now.

I've been working on my flick and could not flick this thing worth a flick. Wobbly and erratic.

It does catch the wind. Not usually how I wanted it to, but it does.

All in all, this won't be my go to disc any time soon.

Not for nothing, but the Hammer is OOP, so I don't expect too much feedback or people clamoring to get one.

i had one that just sold.

Nikon00002056.jpg

I need to save this someplace so I can just copy and paste...

That version of the Hammer was in production in the early 90's. At the time all Innova had was DX plastic, and they marketed this Hammer as "unbreakable." They made it "unbreakable" by making the flight plate really thick so it wouldn't crack. Unfortunately, taking all the weight out of the rim and putting it in the center of the disc made this Hammer painfully slow, somewhat understable and squirrelly as Hell. In other words, it sucked. As soon as Millennium discs came out with the Aurora MS (a stable mid that was unbreakable due to the better plastic and didn't suck) the Hammer went OOP.

Strangely enough, they sold really well. Back in those days there was no Internet to speak of and a lot of people bought discs based on how cool the stamp was. The Hammer had a pretty cool stamp and the "unbreakable" factor was attractive to a lot of people. So they sold well and you still run into them from time to time. They are cool to pick up as a wall hanger, but as a thrower it might be the worst understable mid ever.

I thought OOP brought all the boys to the yard. :p

ThreePutt, you and DGR account for the bulk of my internet knowledge on this disc.

There is a Hammer on ebay right now whose stamp is the word HAMMER. No actual hammer or shark on it. The Innova factory store has a Classic Hammer in DX for $9.99.

Innova: The Classic hammer is a driver oriented Putt and Approach disc. The Hammer offers a controllable stable/understable flight path. Old school disc golfers can now reunite with this classic mold.

It has two favorable reviews.

Anyone know the flight rating numbers on this? I'll ask Innova.

Attachments

• innova hammer.jpg
    innova hammer.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 61
I still carry a Hammer.

It's my **** happens disc and sometimes long upshot disc. I will always carry one.

There is a Hammer on ebay right now whose stamp is the word HAMMER. No actual hammer or shark on it. The Innova factory store has a Classic Hammer in DX for $9.99.

Is it one of these?

109.jpg

It's a Wedge Hammer. The Wedge Hammer is a completely different disc that the Hammer you have.

Last edited:
Original prototype Hammer, original prototype large diameter Hammer and the other two. I still have the two star stamp discs.

picture.php

These are my favorite thread types. I realy enjoy reading up on OOP molds and history behind disc golf companies. Thanks guys for the info and the pics.

Original prototype Hammer, original prototype large diameter Hammer and the other two. I still have the two star stamp discs.

picture.php

I threw the hammer, but only the purple star stamp in the top left corner of the picture. I have two of them, one is cracked and this one.

IMO, those were the best. Innova tried to repeat their success with the other purple runs that have the hammer of thor stamp but they were not as good. The thicker top plate in the original discs made for a nice slow thrower. Back then in this area that was all you needed for most holes.

The darker the purple the better. The white thor stamp Hammer was better than the blue stamp but not as good as the star stamp purple hammer, which has the darkest color of purple.

I have no idea why it was like that but that's how it's been for me with Hammers. Right now I'd still throw this one if I ran out of old rocs and XDs. :)

Does anyone have one of these that I can purchase. My sons name is Thor and I would love to get one with the hammer of Thor on it to give to him when he gets older. Please help.

Does anyone have one of these that I can purchase. My sons name is Thor and I would love to get one with the hammer of Thor on it to give to him when he gets older. Please help.

very hard disc to find.....$35-55+ i have only ever seen about 5 for sale....im sure the older guys have seen a bunch...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-INNOVA...801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b804d7b9

you can send this guy a message on ebay....he is a old timer (7?)....1987 us masters champion R.L Styles JR.....he is a good guy ...tell him moose-mdg sent you...might get a little price break