• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova molds- Wraith

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
So I primarily throw Discraft so I don't know Innova very well. I know that CE plastic and 11x discs are really good, but those were only made in certain molds. I'm looking at getting a bunch of Wraiths to try out, but I don't know the difference between the mold with the flight characteristics vs. the one without vs. any other Wraith molds out there. Can anyone help me out with this (how they differ and if there's one that's really popular)? If it helps, I'm looking at Champion plastic specifically.

If there's a similar thread to this, please direct me, but I didn't see one. Thanks in advance!

I know of 2 special runs of Wraiths. The Augusta Wraiths or the most sought after -- I believe they're relatively overstable compared to most Wraiths. The Augusta Wraiths are champ plastic. Then there was the run of Star Wraiths that were stamped as speed 12 instead of 11. I've heard those were wicked overstable.

I'm not a fan of Champ plastic long distance drivers, personally. They're typically more overstable than their Star plastic counterparts, and for whatever reason, don't seem to fly as far.

My suggestion if you're looking to try out Wraiths, grab a Star Wraith, an Echo Star Wraith, and a Pro Wraith, (grab a champ too if this is your preference.) Those will likely be a good range of stability out of the gate, and will beat up at different speeds, and so give you a decent Wraith lineup within a short period of time.

I've never gotten into Wraiths, but this idea certainly applies to Destroyers, which is my driver of choice. Most Star Destros are going to be pretty beefy for me out of the gate, and will stay overstable enough that they'll fill that slot in my bag for a decent amount of time. Most Echo Stars are going to be maybe half a tick less stable than Star new, but will beat fairly quickly. And every Pro Destro I've thrown was straight with late fade when new, and beat to a hyzer flip within 5-10 tree smacks, and into a turnover driver not long after.

Just one last comment, if I could only carry one plastic type for Destros, it would be Echo Star. Just a fan of how those things fly.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not looking at a really huge turnover disc (like you were saying about the Echo Star beating in fast.) I guess I should have explained better in the OP- I'm looking for a driver to cover all of my other drivers (reducing molds in the bag). The Wraith is at the speed where a brand new one is overstable for head winds and a really beat in one will flip enough for me and a good not too new one will be perfect. If that makes any difference.

I'd say go with regular Star if you want one to get worn in, and only want one plastic type. Champ wears too slowly, I'm impatient. Star is pretty slow, but not as slow.

SirRaph did a pretty good job of answering your question, Star plastic has the stability, Echo Star breaks in quicker. Pro wears in rather quickly, and everyone knows Champion plastic takes forever to wear in. As for how the discs fly between having flight numbers or no flight numbers, people are going to say all sorts of things. I think most find the "pre-numbers" to be more understable, but all the molds still fly true to their ratings regardless of how they're stamped.

starwraiths.jpg

They made star augusta wraiths

and also star non kenny wraiths like above.

I recommend a 170ish star wraith. They fly very fast and usually fairly overstable when new. Funnily enough a surge is nearly identical.

I have a few pre-Kenny Champion wraiths I'd do for cheaper than listed if you're interested...PM me

I don;t think they ever made Pre Kenny Champ Wraiths, as they never made Kenny Wraiths. They did in make Kenny wraiths in only star.

Dear god I've been waiting for a thread like this!

I LOOOOOOVE wraiths to start off and have some insight:

the ideal flight is: released with hyzer, flips up, turns a little, stays straight, fades in chains
the starter flight: release with annhyzer watch it stay in a straight line and fade out of anny.

Champ Wraith (max g): I've had and lost many but the best the running theme is they start off beefy and take a sh*t ton of abuse to break in, but when they do, you will shred any course. That also comes with any disc you spend the time to truly season. My name is a reference to the disc that gave me 3 aces in 2 months before I chucked in a river... a little part of me died.
But I suggest getting one and learning it.

Star Wraith (pre-KC): Has beef but it beats in quicker, the grip is good and the ideal flight is obtained much sooner but its does become flippier than you want. Becomes a turn over disc. And as stated earlier the misprinted 12 speed were super beefy! I bought a 167g neon pink for my wife because I thought she could utilize it, but I couldn't even turn it over.

Star Wraith (12X KC): The Flippiest of the bunch. Mine soon turned into a roller and quickly worked its way out of my bag. I can't throw 500' but the one I had wasn't what I wanted it at all

Pro Wraiths: pretty money, Im not a huge fan of pro plastic for drivers because they cant handle as much abuse I give it (played HEAVILY wooded course, Great Seal State Park) But they fly like the numbers.

Augusta: The champion is CE plastic which from what I understand they stopped making because of well it last. They are rare and a gem if you get one... I sadly haven't had one...
The star i don't know enough about but i assume they are epic as well.

moral here is they are awesome, I recommend a champ and take the time to beat it in, my was my 275' to 450' disc FH/BH. But on a side note innova has as issue with inconsistency so maybe my AceWraith was just a fluke... but man i miss it.

I don;t think they ever made Pre Kenny Champ Wraiths, as they never made Kenny Wraiths. They did in make Kenny wraiths in only star.

gotcha

I have some preflight #s wraiths that are VERY pearly in the rim and I've been told they are from the Augusta run..any credence to this? any way I can tell?

Latest posts