• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova new Valkyrie mold

Fwiw, I hate domey rocs too. I was throwing flat tops prior to the roc3. No issue with beads though. IMO bad flashing on candy plastic is way worse on your fingers than a bead.

As far as the shark, it's been so long that I don't really remember why I disliked it so much. I know it never felt right in my hand. Really don't recall how it flew for me.
Right about when I really started playing regularly, the Roc was switched to the Ontario mold. ORocs and Sharks were really close, but the ORoc had better glide and I could throw it farther so throwing a Shark made no sense.

BTW I think Dave D. hates Rocs; did you watch that video? The disgust on his face when he said "significant DUMP...at the end of it" gives it away.

What did you guys hate so much about the shark? I reserved that level of hate for the Roc - "I want a huge bead to scrape the #@$! out of my finger on every throw, and make it super rounded and domey so I cant get a clean release because who needs accuracy in mids?" What a cult of hot garbage that was.

I got stuck on a Buzzz SS and Hornet for my first mids. These days its Truth and Verdict which are pretty much the same thing. The Shark3 flew like a stable Truth but hit the market more like a lead balloon. It was much better IMO than the Roc3 for a buzzz-like flat mid, but naming and marketing is clearly pretty important.
i couldnt get a good grip on the shark to fh

felt sharp in the hand (like a predator does compared to fb) and mine was domey (gross) which wasnt a good combo

mentally i didnt like the little v tech ridge on it

among my originals i do still love (and bag) an aviar and wraith

i preferred a spider to the shark and i still do

i maybe should revisit it as i think i still have that disc somewhere in storage

relive the glory days for better or worse

wow thats impressive

you throw it if so how does it fly
It's been years, I bought 2. I had a Monarch many years ago that I loved and was currently throwing the Valk so figured why not try.

It was so inconsistent lol. I used to play ultimate and love understable discs [hyzerflips] but for the life of me I couldn't figure them out. If they turned they just kept turning without fade...but if they didn't turn they'd fade a surprising amount.

Sold them or gave them away after <100 total throws.

It's been years, I bought 2. I had a Monarch many years ago that I loved and was currently throwing the Valk so figured why not try.

It was so inconsistent lol. I used to play ultimate and love understable discs [hyzerflips] but for the life of me I couldn't figure them out. If they turned they just kept turning without fade...but if they didn't turn they'd fade a surprising amount.

Sold them or gave them away after <100 total throws.
My Brother could use a Monarch but he had used a DX Gazelle and a DX Sidewinder and around same time a Road Runner in Champion in some of earliest flight numbers in 2009. For my brother his problem was in grip and the grove when powering up as he would move to a power slant from a midrange/fairway slant grip not to mention his Monarch disc was in that hard to see purple Champion he won and would not have grabbed if there was any color besides Purple and old 2000 darker blue runs in Champion.

Roc3s and Stingrays cover straight and flippy. Since I shun premo plastic I've had a hard time finding something to fill the overstable end. Probably going to try a DX Gator next.

I probably just need to admit there's no solution to be found in base plastic and buy a selection of grip aids to try. Grip issues are why I don't throw candy plastic.
I bag a DX Gator, not a beefcake by any means, flies pretty OS when new but after some tree and rock hits it beats in to a pretty straight to fade disc, similar to a new DX RocX3 if you've tried those.

There are grippy, base plastic mids that fly as overstable as a Champ Gator, but not ones available from Innova.

Troija, Justice, A1, A2, Runway, maybe Gila and even Zone OS (more of a tweener) are all available in base plastic and more OS than any base plastic mids or putters I can think of from Innova.

I bag a DX Gator, not a beefcake by any means, flies pretty OS when new but after some tree and rock hits it beats in to a pretty straight to fade disc, similar to a new DX RocX3 if you've tried those.

There are grippy, base plastic mids that fly as overstable as a Champ Gator, but not ones available from Innova.

Troija, Justice, A1, A2, Runway, maybe Gila and even Zone OS (more of a tweener) are all available in base plastic and more OS than any base plastic mids or putters I can think of from Innova.
Innova has or had a Sparkle G Star Gator and is beefy more so then regular G Star but not Champion or Me. Want as Beefy as they come? Metal Flake, a type of Champion currently in demand so is in production, is just this and beef is more the lack of glide as I have said prior.

Valkyrie, if one needs a classic Champion in 2000's gummy feel and current runs are stiff keep looking for a Champion Glow, it works for a vary similar disc, from what I have read, newer runs as of 2023 are still rather gummy.