• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Scorpion

I would think a Scorpion in Champion plastic would ruin it. But I thought that about Ontario DX Cobras until I just got a Star Cobra. Now I have a large stack of old DX Cobras I may never get to throw.

I haven't tried it in champ but I did spend a few bucks awhile back to get one again. Very interesting disc with a stable finish... makes me feel better about throwing it back in the day, at my power level it used to turn over and come back with an always manageable S. Good tweener super mid/ fairway driver. I wish I'd figured out that "garbage" stingray though.. Probably could have shaved 10yrs off the learning curve.

Uh they do as a limited run of Champion. see above post.
Lol lol lol...the OP was 11 years ago. Five years ago somebody posed the link to the factory store and we noted that the factory store didn't exist in 2008 when he asked the question. Then it comes around again. Necrobumps are so much fun.

Lol lol lol...the OP was 11 years ago. Five years ago somebody posed the link to the factory store and we noted that the factory store didn't exist in 2008 when he asked the question. Then it comes around again. Necrobumps are so much fun.

I was just helping the guy at the time, hope he has found it from me or somebody else in 2014. I am hopping he did not quit disc golf due to not being able to find exactly what he was looking for, rather just quit this site on the threads. I also clarified that Lighting is oop with your post there yesterday just Gotta Go Gotta throw has the site and all the disc for a really cheep price. Also that 90% of the discs Lighting discs sold are new plastic with DuPont material added to make them between a stiff Pro and a Stiffer old run of R-Pro but more like Pro so smoother, sans the outer layer.

picture.php

picture.php

So threw this baby today 186g scorpion. It warmed up enough to give it a go. Ran it against two soft envy and an uplink. Hilariously awesome results.

The scorpion was the clear winner, almost like I threw one for a decade :D

picture.php

picture.php

So threw this baby today 186g scorpion. It warmed up enough to give it a go. Ran it against two soft envy and an uplink. Hilariously awesome results.

The scorpion was the clear winner, almost like I threw one for a decade :D
In case anyone is wondering; that is 100% an example of proper disc ink, circa 1990. :| Big as you can write it, covering as much of the back of the flight plate as possible, legibility optional. PDGA # only, no phone number. Andy Fankhauser gets two thumbs up.

Well still throwing the Andy thunder white one and another Bob Harris scorpion.. Recently acquired some halo star scorpion x-outs as well as a couple wall candy.

Anyone throw those things yet?
83p7CYDZaDWzM2cf7

Well I got some throws in with my star 183g scorpions.. Not the worst translation but the glide is gone, kinda a lumpy disc, it still retains its shot shape but my envy's go further.

The shape is weird and wonderful, kinda like a half chewed drone... tips over alright it definitely turns but it's weirdly meaty with less fade then I'd expect. The word is unique. It's bizarre but familiar. I could find a lot of discs to do a lot of things better... but I'm gonna try it for the straight up weird factor, gyro is too popular :D

It's so weirdly familiar, I guess a younger weaker me with some heavy dx is a lot like a more skilled me with 183g stars.. Oooof. They could be the wind player or something I've been looking for, maybe? I'm going to work em on some trick shots and try to find space.

The one thing they do though is a weird turn to drop, like a 1.5 turn to almost zero fade, they just sort of straighten out. At very least training with 180g stuff could be good for me. Right!? There's gotta be some reason to go hardcore nostalgic.. It's kinda cuz someone started a rumour I'm a scorpion guy, so a guy messaged me a bout a wall hanger and told me how crazy awesome it was I still threw them! I was but kinda on random sunny days kinda thing, relive my youth for a couple hours.

Any opinions? Should I try and find more while they are only "rare" ish and only appealing to total nostalgic weirdos.. Like maybe 10 of us?

Well I got some throws in with my star 183g scorpions.. Not the worst translation but the glide is gone, kinda a lumpy disc, it still retains its shot shape but my envy's go further.

The shape is weird and wonderful, kinda like a half chewed drone... tips over alright it definitely turns but it's weirdly meaty with less fade then I'd expect. The word is unique. It's bizarre but familiar. I could find a lot of discs to do a lot of things better... but I'm gonna try it for the straight up weird factor, gyro is too popular :D

It's so weirdly familiar, I guess a younger weaker me with some heavy dx is a lot like a more skilled me with 183g stars.. Oooof. They could be the wind player or something I've been looking for, maybe? I'm going to work em on some trick shots and try to find space.

The one thing they do though is a weird turn to drop, like a 1.5 turn to almost zero fade, they just sort of straighten out. At very least training with 180g stuff could be good for me. Right!? There's gotta be some reason to go hardcore nostalgic.. It's kinda cuz someone started a rumour I'm a scorpion guy, so a guy messaged me a bout a wall hanger and told me how crazy awesome it was I still threw them! I was but kinda on random sunny days kinda thing, relive my youth for a couple hours.

Any opinions? Should I try and find more while they are only "rare" ish and only appealing to total nostalgic weirdos.. Like maybe 10 of us?
I get nostalgia and everything, but sometimes we have to accept that something we did for years was dumb and shouldn't be repeated. :|

Discs like the Scorpion died out for a reason.

Also the entire point of the Scorpion was the glide so if the Star Scorpion has no glide, why would you want more of them?

picture.php

I get nostalgia and everything, but sometimes we have to accept that something we did for years was dumb and shouldn't be repeated. :|

Discs like the Scorpion died out for a reason.

Also the entire point of the Scorpion was the glide so if the Star Scorpion has no glide, why would you want more of them?

:D :D nice meme... if you make someone a personal meme is that the internet equivalent of a mixed tape <3 ?

Haha it says it all and you're right. It's likely an irrational attachment that doesn't really fit my small bag action. I did throw one for quite a while as my only disc. It kind of explains why I like big wide rims and the turn to fade shots... I've got a half dozen in DX too... and like you said it died out for good reason.

My decision to try to fit scorpions in is not based on good decision making skills, more an irrational love for a decade long past, a desire to be weird... and that "I gotta have one (or 3 of those) they look awesome!" disc lust.

They might have a purpose as a heavy mid, kind of an anti-uplink kind of flight. I've been working a pyro and entropy but not getting enough turn to do what I want in a stable mid.

I'll snap a few pics when the wife's not around, they're currently hiding behind some shoes in the basement, I'm waiting for a load of discs I won from contributing to a juniors FR waffle, I'll mix em in like they were free.. :D

I mean I get it. I have a dumb Champ Viper I bag and use for overstable mid shots. :\ I just like it being there; there are a dozen better discs for what I use it for.

I mean I get it. I have a dumb Champ Viper I bag and use for overstable mid shots. :\ I just like it being there; there are a dozen better discs for what I use it for.

Ha Viper, that's what it's kinda flying like... thanks!

Again I fully agree, it's a poor decision. I had wondered about those 200g training wizards, these are kinda like that, especially when most of my stuff is 165g or less. I guess I want to try and live up to the Legend of the Last Scorpion thrower.

Meh I'll probably be bored of it in a month.

Well a month and a half and the scorpion is still finding bag space. Kinda a putter/mid/fairway tweener.. Maybe the mullet of midranges. Some glide and control up front, big fade in the back end.

Used it successfully today in some breezy conditions. I'm using it largely as a straight to fade FH disc and for shaping hyzer arcs. BH it's laser straight with a reliable fade, it's why it was popular today in gusts, lots of parks.

A bunch of the guys were checking my bag pre round to see what I brought.. "Trendsetter" was a good word for a guy that buys too many discs too often haha. The scorpion was already weirdly popular before I stepped up to the teepad, a lot of WTF is that weird and wide thing? Is that PDGA approved? Wait this says innova on it, I thought it was MVP!

Last edited:
Well one more thing to love with the scorpion is its distinct edge in echo location.... when you hit a tree it makes a good solid thwaaack like an axe. Easy to find when it hits like that, conceivably the deadliest disc in my bag..