• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Scorpion

jessepittman

I've had some good success with a used Scorpion that I've been bumming from a friend of mine for a while and I was going to buy one of the same new, but it looks like they don't make them anymore.

Does anyone know of a current driver with similar flight characteristics to the Scorpion?

Well, lets see...NO.

The Scorpion had fabulous glide because of that large diameter (22.5 cm!) By today's standards, it was slow. It would probably be rated a speed 5 disc. There is really nothing out today to compare it to.

Except (and you are not going to like this) have you heard of a company called Lightning Discs? Lightning had a disc called the B-2 Stealth that if you got one heavy (and I do mean heavy. They were legal to 185 g!) it would fly more or less like a Scorpion. It is not exactly the same as the Stealth was a flat disc and the Scorpion had a nice dome, so the Stealth does not have as nice a glide as the Scorpion. Anyway, I think they sell the Stealth as the # 2 Flyer these days. The plastic was crud, and I have not thrown a Lightning disc in years. However, they are still in business and you can still find them if you look around.

If I HAD to have a disc like the Scorpion, I'd start there. Maybe the # 1 Hookshot or the # 3 Driver might be better. It is hard to remember as it has been years since I've thrown any of these discs.

At any rate, Discraft and Innova got rid of all their slow, large diameter drivers years ago. Lightning hasn't launched a new mold since 2000 and stays in business selling old discs to the recreational market, so they still have theirs. Lightning # 2 Flyer, # 1 Hookshot and # 3 Driver would be my best guesses.

Really, I think you would be better off getting a good fairway driver like an Eagle or a TeeBird and working with it. Innova cancelled the Scorpion for a reason. It is very old-school technology, and if you are looking to improve as a player some better discs would be a good first step.

Good Luck.

Or we can start pestering the factory store for a run of DX Scorpions!!!

They still make the scorpion in champion on the factory store. and dx ones are readily available. You would probably pay no more than 15 for one

They still make the scorpion in champion on the factory store. and dx ones are readily available. You would probably pay no more than 15 for one
The OP was posted over six years ago, before the Factory Store existed. Hopefully he has found something else to throw by now.

Why not necro another one, seems to be the in thing to do around here lately!

I was out goofing around in the yard today with a medium beat scorpion from my stash. Got it for the Maryland State Parks stamp (I collect MD memorabilia) and just they it on the rack. Holy jeez this thing is hilarious to throw. Flips up from steep hyzer and just glides out. It's really flippy, got a couple good rollers out of it, and was throwing it on like 8 o' clock hyzer and it was flipping over to a smooth right turn.

Pretty fun disc, no wonder disc golf took off back in the day. If that's what was out there, it must have been a total blast!

Love all the recent necro bumps!

Kudos to those who search for existing threads instead of just creating new threads. It's the duplication of threads that makes it hard to find the actual thread you're looking for.

Well, lets see...NO.

The Scorpion had fabulous glide because of that large diameter (22.5 cm!) By today's standards, it was slow. It would probably be rated a speed 5 disc. There is really nothing out today to compare it to.

Except (and you are not going to like this) have you heard of a company called Lightning Discs? Lightning had a disc called the B-2 Stealth that if you got one heavy (and I do mean heavy. They were legal to 185 g!) it would fly more or less like a Scorpion. It is not exactly the same as the Stealth was a flat disc and the Scorpion had a nice dome, so the Stealth does not have as nice a glide as the Scorpion. Anyway, I think they sell the Stealth as the # 2 Flyer these days. The plastic was crud, and I have not thrown a Lightning disc in years. However, they are still in business and you can still find them if you look around.

If I HAD to have a disc like the Scorpion, I'd start there. Maybe the # 1 Hookshot or the # 3 Driver might be better. It is hard to remember as it has been years since I've thrown any of these discs.

At any rate, Discraft and Innova got rid of all their slow, large diameter drivers years ago. Lightning hasn't launched a new mold since 2000 and stays in business selling old discs to the recreational market, so they still have theirs. Lightning # 2 Flyer, # 1 Hookshot and # 3 Driver would be my best guesses.

Really, I think you would be better off getting a good fairway driver like an Eagle or a TeeBird and working with it. Innova cancelled the Scorpion for a reason. It is very old-school technology, and if you are looking to improve as a player some better discs would be a good first step.

Good Luck.

Does Infinite make a disc with a similar mold to the Scorpion?

The company sold to Gotta Go Gotta throw in 2010's when the owner of Lighting died (original owners wife did this) so they have everything to make the old discs, just they are changing where the disc are made now. And yes last disc that Lighting made was in mid 2000 and they cater to players that want to try discs from Innova that are not made anymore. However the plastic from old owner went from poor plastic in basic to stuff with DuPont in it making the plastic between stiffer Pro and a stiff R-Pro, like if the new baseline was Pro without the outer glossy layer, or stiff R-Pro without the super grip. Also have Prostyle plastic that is as like an R-Pro plastic. Last disc the company made was MX-1, 2, 3 in 2009 in a Max line plastic

Last edited:
Why not necro another one, seems to be the in thing to do around here lately!

I was out goofing around in the yard today with a medium beat scorpion from my stash. Got it for the Maryland State Parks stamp (I collect MD memorabilia) and just they it on the rack. Holy jeez this thing is hilarious to throw. Flips up from steep hyzer and just glides out. It's really flippy, got a couple good rollers out of it, and was throwing it on like 8 o' clock hyzer and it was flipping over to a smooth right turn.

Pretty fun disc, no wonder disc golf took off back in the day. If that's what was out there, it must have been a total blast!
Lol...The Scorpion was the stable one. The Barracuda was it's flippy twin.

Does Infinite make a disc with a similar mold to the Scorpion?
I mean the Scorpion was a 22.6cm diameter disc. The B-2 Stealth was listed at 22.4cm. They were BIG discs. They don't fit into most made-for-disc-golf bags; you have to carry them in the putter pouch if they fit there. They are really impractical discs to try to use regularly, they are more of a "I was goofing off one day" nostalgia trip. I'm not sure why a company like Infinite would want to make a disc like that.

I mean the Scorpion was a 22.6cm diameter disc. The B-2 Stealth was listed at 22.4cm. They were BIG discs. They don't fit into most made-for-disc-golf bags; you have to carry them in the putter pouch if they fit there. They are really impractical discs to try to use regularly, they are more of a "I was goofing off one day" nostalgia trip. I'm not sure why a company like Infinite would want to make a disc like that.

Look here, they still make a Scorpion in Champion. https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-scorpion.html

You are right it is a speed 5 slightly US disc. However all discs are guarantied 180 grams or more.

Last edited:
I've had some good success with a used Scorpion that I've been bumming from a friend of mine for a while and I was going to buy one of the same new, but it looks like they don't make them anymore.

Does anyone know of a current driver with similar flight characteristics to the Scorpion?

Uh they do as a limited run of Champion. see above post.

Latest posts