• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Had to dig deep to resurrect this thread. I got a pair of Weese Shrykes for my girlfriend to try. They feel great so I might have to steal one. Has anyone thrown theirs yet?

So I've been throwing 150's G* Shrykes and I find them to be really long and consistent, definitely the longest disc I can throw accurately 99% of the time. They're also pretty flat in my experience. Just picked up a Pro 168g that's pretty domey. What difference should I expect?

So I've been throwing 150's G* Shrykes and I find them to be really long and consistent, definitely the longest disc I can throw accurately 99% of the time. They're also pretty flat in my experience. Just picked up a Pro 168g that's pretty domey. What difference should I expect?

Shrykes seem very weight dependent. By that I mean the lightweight ones will flip easily, and heavier ones usually won't. I'm guessing the pro 168g will be beefier than the 150s G*s.

Pro beats in fast though. Whatever stability your new Shryke has, it won't keep for long.

Shrykes seem very weight dependent. By that I mean the lightweight ones will flip easily, and heavier ones usually won't. I'm guessing the pro 168g will be beefier than the 150s G*s.

Pro beats in fast though. Whatever stability your new Shryke has, it won't keep for long.
I agree on the weights. I carry a 150 and a 171 G* that fly very differently, which is great for minimizing molds in the bag. Then I have a freakish 175 Jomez stamped G* that is an absolute brick. Even factoring in the usual Innova inconsistency, that thing is just weird. Good for headwinds though.

I agree on the weights. I carry a 150 and a 171 G* that fly very differently, which is great for minimizing molds in the bag. Then I have a freakish 175 Jomez stamped G* that is an absolute brick. Even factoring in the usual Innova inconsistency, that thing is just weird. Good for headwinds though.

I've run into a couple Shrykes that were stubbornly overstable. They don't glide, turn, or penetrate. For me they're useless. If I wanted that flight I'd choose a different mold. When I throw a Shryke I'm basically looking for huge, flexy max distance and glide.

The great majority of Shrykes fly true to the numbers.

I've also had a couple lightweight stars that were super understable. They weren't even throwable.

I currently throw a Shryke, but how does a Nuke SS compare?

Nuke SS is faster, flippier, doesn't glide as well, and has a dumpier late fade than a Shryke.

If I had to pick one or the other I'd take the Shryke. More controllable. I don't feel like I lose any distance with the Shryke vs. the Nuke SS either.

I have two Star Shrykes. 3 grams between them makes a big difference, but both pretty dependable. Gives me options depending on the wind.

I love my dark pink Champion Shryke. The weight is in the 170's. It is the perfect hyzer flip disc for me, gets tons of glide for max distance. Super domey. I dont throw it hard on flat or anhyzer angle unless i need a huge sweeping anny line. Wind definitely affects the stability. I would compare the Shryke to a DD Sheriff.

Anyone tried the new Weese Luster Shrykes? I have fallen in love with the 2018 Eveliina Salonen Tour Series Luster Shrykes. They have the glide/distance of a shryke but with a noticable smaller S-curve flight and excellent wind fighting capabilities. I'm using them to get max controlled distance (~380ft).

Would the Weese Luster Shrykes achieve the same or do I need to try and find older Eveliina Shrykes? How about glow/color glow/halo?

Anyone tried the new Weese Luster Shrykes? I have fallen in love with the 2018 Eveliina Salonen Tour Series Luster Shrykes. They have the glide/distance of a shryke but with a noticable smaller S-curve flight and excellent wind fighting capabilities. I'm using them to get max controlled distance (~380ft).

Would the Weese Luster Shrykes achieve the same or do I need to try and find older Eveliina Shrykes? How about glow/color glow/halo?

I lost my last Eveliina Shryke quite awhile ago, but I do remember them being pretty much perfect. This year's Weese Shrykes are a bit more understable, without being overly flippy. Still a useful disc, but not reliable in the same way.

Halo is usually much more overstable, though I haven't thrown one to confirm.

Glow and Color Glow seem to depend on the year. Some of the early runs were incredible, the Madison Walker Color Glow Shrykes are one of my favorite discs of all time. Then in one of the following years, they become monstrous beefcakes that flew more like Destroyers. Then they mellowed out a little again. Not sure where they're at currently.

I lost my last Eveliina Shryke quite awhile ago, but I do remember them being pretty much perfect. This year's Weese Shrykes are a bit more understable, without being overly flippy. Still a useful disc, but not reliable in the same way.

Halo is usually much more overstable, though I haven't thrown one to confirm.

Glow and Color Glow seem to depend on the year. Some of the early runs were incredible, the Madison Walker Color Glow Shrykes are one of my favorite discs of all time. Then in one of the following years, they become monstrous beefcakes that flew more like Destroyers. Then they mellowed out a little again. Not sure where they're at currently.
Thanks for the tips. I guess the Weese Shryke could have a place in my bag. I have tried a few throws with the Halo Shryke and it just doesn't feel like a shryke because it's so OS&glidless. I feel more comfortable to use destroyer instead for those shots.

Here is the current Shryke in my bag. Since I'm new to the Shryke game, it there anything about this run that I should know about?

Attachments

• Shryke.jpg
    Shryke.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 30
Here is the current Shryke in my bag. Since I'm new to the Shryke game, it there anything about this run that I should know about?

All stock Star Shrykes have had that stamp. Not much differentiation between runs besides the early ones being penned and the more recent ones being embossed. I've seen domey/ flat and US/OS ones in all runs.

All stock Star Shrykes have had that stamp. Not much differentiation between runs besides the early ones being penned and the more recent ones being embossed. I've seen domey/ flat and US/OS ones in all runs.

Thank you for that information!

Halo Shryke

Tried a Halo Shryke for the first time today. Disc is 175g.

First off, I like Halo plastic a lot. It seems very well made. Slightly gummy, smooth, and nice looking. My Halo Shryke is cream colored with a striking gold rim.

Nice dome. Definitely not flat.

This particular Shryke seems to be on the beefy side of the spectrum. I wasn't able to make it turn easily or for long. I couldn't make it turn on a hyzerflip, and I had to throw it at 100% flat to turn it at all. Once the disc did turn, it would fly flat for a while before fading off gradually. Absent was the massive S curve flight I usually associate with Shrykes. The Halo Shryke didn't have much flex.

This Halo Shryke didn't have the floaty glide I usually associate with Shrykes. It glided OK, but I feel like it lost distance by not being super glidey.

Fade was subtle and prolonged. Fairly normal for a Shryke.

Conclusions: The Halo Shryke is nice for those who find other Shrykes just a tad flippy. The Halo Shryke will take huge rips without flipping. I was able to get it out to 450', but other Shrykes would go at least 20' further. It's a consistent driver that yielded nice results.

Halo Shryke: 13, 5, -1, 2. Slightly less glide and high speed turn than most other Shrykes. Fade is still fairly long and subtle, so the disc isn't really a beefcake. Great driver for big arms who want to throw very hard, but get too much turn out of a regular Shryke. Head to head against a King and Destiny the Halo Shryke was probably 20' shorter, largely due to lower glide and high speed turn.

Honestly, this thing kinda reminded me of an older run Boss (the ones that had some high speed turn). It's a nice driver that likes to be thrown hard. I just wish it had a little more glide.

Last edited:
Pro Shryke

Tried my first Pro Shryke today. 175g. Disc is on the flat side, which is somewhat unusual for a Shryke.

All in all, I wasn't remarkably impressed with it. The Pro Shryke is definitely flippy. I was able to turn it over easily, and it took a pretty steep hyzer to keep it from flipping into oblivion. This is definitely the flippiest max weight Shryke I've thrown.

The main problem with the disc was that it didn't glide or penetrate all that well. It almost had this slow, clunky feel. The disc would flip over, S curve, and then just kind of die out late. Head to head against a 168g Opto Bolt, the Shryke got beat on distance every time, sometimes by 20' or more. I feel like G* Shrykes have better glide and distance than this Pro I tried today.

For being Pro plastic I was slightly disappointed in this Shryke. I was expecting better glide and distance. Not a totally horrible disc or anything, but just very..... meh. It lacked that beautiful, floaty glide I'm used to in a Shryke.

Top distance was probably 440'. Should have been at least 20' more.

Pro Shryke: 13, 5, -3.5, 2. Almost too much high speed turn, and not enough floaty glide to make this disc super long. Somewhat clunky flight.

Last edited:
I like a Destiny over a Shryke. But hey! I found two Star Shrykes today when I was hunting down my wayward Destiny. One at 157g and one at 169g. I have a 175-ish gram in Pro that I throw in the field from time to time.

It never wowed but I understand why it is well regarded.

I gave the 157g to my son and I'll see how the 169g in Star flies.

I throw in Colorado.

Ok, so... a few hours ago I threw that 175g Pro Shryke 430'. That's really far for me, maybe farthest ever on a flat grassy field with no tailwind. I'm going to have to think about some things!

Ok, so... a few hours ago I threw that 175g Pro Shryke 430'. That's really far for me, maybe farthest ever on a flat grassy field with no tailwind. I'm going to have to think about some things!

Have you tried a G* Shryke, especially one under 170g? Those things defy gravity, and are the longest Shrykes I've seen.

My Pro Shryke was very much a "middle of the pack" type performer. It was only OK for me.