• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

In part 2 of the Aussie Open first round, Paul CRUSHES a forehand Shryke shot (Thanks Eagle for saying the disc he threw). Shryke made it to the champs tournament bag

Haha, wow, I should go pick up the rest of the FR's from the local PIAS. If Paul keeps it in the bag (and eventually makes it a sig disc), those will end up being worth a mint in 2 years.

In part 2 of the Aussie Open first round, Paul CRUSHES a forehand Shryke shot (Thanks Eagle for saying the disc he threw). Shryke made it to the champs tournament bag
I just got done watching part 2. I was really surprised by what discs Eagle said Paul was throwing. He mentioned Paul throwing the Shryke, PD2 & (returning to his bag) Firebird.

I just got done watching part 2. I was really surprised by what discs Eagle said Paul was throwing. He mentioned Paul throwing the Shryke, PD2 & (returning to his bag) Firebird.

In the CCDG "Champs v. Chumps 3" videos, Paul showed off his Sexton Firebird. Sexton was commentating and said he did not know Paul had put that in his (Paul's) bag. But yes, the Sexton FB is in Paul's bag, and it appears the Monster experiment is ovah.

Maybe Paul has finally abandoned the dream of the All-McBeth-Signature bag then? I'm not saying I know he had that dream, but it certainly looked like the direction he was trying to take, what with bagging the Teebird3 and the Monster instead of the (already taken) Teebird and Firebird.

Maybe Paul has finally abandoned the dream of the All-McBeth-Signature bag then? I'm not saying I know he had that dream, but it certainly looked like the direction he was trying to take, what with bagging the Teebird3 and the Monster instead of the (already taken) Teebird and Firebird.

I agree that Paul McBeth was throwing the Monster and MF-Teebird3 so that one or both would become signature discs if he'd won his fifth world title. And I do note that Paul went back to the Sexton Firebird, not any other one, so maybe his (so-called) "struggles" with regular Firebirds are legit...

As to the Teebird3, Paul seems to be doing well with it, and Paul does like the "3" series of discs... Roc3, Mako3, etc.

As to the Shryke... we'll see if it becomes his main forehand driver...

...but it certainly looked like the direction he was trying to take, what with bagging the Teebird3 and the Monster instead of the (already taken) Teebird and Firebird.

Paul said somewhere on video that the Monster replaced the Firebird because he didn't trust the FBird's release on harder throws (spikes, FH), and the wider rim of the Monster felt better in his hand.
He threw a lot of Destroyer forehands last year, if the Shryke has the same rim thickness it may be more of the FH path he is looking for right out of the box instead of counting on 'tuned' Destroyers to get that same flight.

Yes, all speculation but that's what DGCR does best :)

Yes I am aware of Paul's stated reasons for throwing the Monster. He used to throw regular champion Teebirds too. Certainly he has the pick of the litter in terms of discs and there are plenty of flat champion Teebirds out there, so why Teebird3 if not to have some molds in his pocket with no current sig on them in case of another world championship? Even if he did want to go to an all-sig bag, I seriously doubt he would have told anyone that in an interview; it might sound a little arrogant or presumptuous. Anyway, we'll see if both the Monster AND Sexton FB are in his bag this year. The Sexton FB is a little less overstable than standard flat champion Firebirds in my experience and definitely less overstable than the Monster. He might just be bagging both molds for different shots.

Yes I am aware of Paul's stated reasons for throwing the Monster. He used to throw regular champion Teebirds too. Certainly he has the pick of the litter in terms of discs and there are plenty of flat champion Teebirds out there, so why Teebird3 if not to have some molds in his pocket with no current sig on them in case of another world championship?

Like I said before, McBeth likes the flat-topped "3" series discs. He's been throwing Roc3s a good while now, and he bags the Mako3 as well. So even if it's not to be a sig disc, I am not surprised McBeth went to the Teebird3. He's certainly done well with it.

Anyway, we'll see if both the Monster AND Sexton FB are in his bag this year. The Sexton FB is a little less overstable than standard flat champion Firebirds in my experience and definitely less overstable than the Monster. He might just be bagging both molds for different shots.

Is McBeth bagging the Monster at all? Was he using it at the Aussie Open? I don't remember him using a Monster in the Champs v. Chumps, but he might have and it wasn't talked about.

I can see McBeth using the Sexton Firebird instead of either the regular Firebirds or Monsters. But I guess we'll see over time...

Is McBeth bagging the Monster at all? Was he using it at the Aussie Open? I don't remember him using a Monster in the Champs v. Chumps, but he might have and it wasn't talked about.

I can see McBeth using the Sexton Firebird instead of either the regular Firebirds or Monsters. But I guess we'll see over time...

He was definitely bagging the monster at the end of last season (he has a pink champion one I believe). I don't remember if he threw it in Champs vs. Chumps, but pretty sure it came out during the last regular season tournament. He doesn't throw the Monster a lot though; it's mainly a utility disc for big, high spike hyzers.

One reason that I think he could bag both is that in the Aussie Open video he threw the Sexon Firebird on a ~400 foot straight to hyzer skip shot. I couldn't see him using the Monster on that shot; the Monster wants to knife down right out of his hand; it wouldn't do that 400 foot line with the big skip at the end the way the Sexton Firebird did.

He was definitely bagging the monster at the end of last season (he has a pink champion one I believe). I don't remember if he threw it in Champs vs. Chumps, but pretty sure it came out during the last regular season tournament. He doesn't throw the Monster a lot though; it's mainly a utility disc for big, high spike hyzers.

One reason that I think he could bag both is that in the Aussie Open video he threw the Sexon Firebird on a ~400 foot straight to hyzer skip shot. I couldn't see him using the Monster on that shot; the Monster wants to knife down right out of his hand; it wouldn't do that 400 foot line with the big skip at the end the way the Sexton Firebird did.

You're right; he had the pink Champion Monster, and he gave it away with several other of his discs at one of his European tournaments. He obviously got another one (or had it) and was throwing that through the end of the year.

I still think he was throwing the Monster to juice its popularity, and then it would've become his 5x sig disc. But of course he didn't win the 5x yet. So I get the feeling he's going to the Sexton Firebirds, which will help his buddy Nate Sexton's sales (not that the help was needed, but it'll still help), and he'll do very well with it.

Back on topic to the Shryke... gotta wonder how fast they'll fly off the shelves now, after that little bit of free advertising, so to speak. Does make me want to go and work on my forehand game...

In the CCDG "Champs v. Chumps 3" videos, Paul showed off his Sexton Firebird. Sexton was commentating and said he did not know Paul had put that in his (Paul's) bag. But yes, the Sexton FB is in Paul's bag, and it appears the Monster experiment is ovah.
I did see the Champs vs Chumps Part 3 video. I'm just surprised he still has a Firebird in his bag. I thought he might have just added it for that particular course. Considering he said he never fully learned/trusted the Firebird in the previous Champs vs Chumps video. I wonder if he still bags a Monster...

Back on topic to the Shryke... gotta wonder how fast they'll fly off the shelves now, after that little bit of free advertising, so to speak. Does make me want to go and work on my forehand game...

Well, all I can say for sure is that the Shryke made my bag (before I had any idea McBeth was going to throw one). It's like having the flight of a Champion Tern in a disc that feels just like a Destroyer. I never could get used to how shallow Terns are; too shallow for my big hands. The Shryke is great for me.

Well, all I can say for sure is that the Shryke made my bag (before I had any idea McBeth was going to throw one). It's like having the flight of a Champion Tern in a disc that feels just like a Destroyer. I never could get used to how shallow Terns are; too shallow for my big hands. The Shryke is great for me.

The Shryke was okay for me, but in head-to-head competition with the Destiny, the Shryke just plain got beat out for the place in my bag. I'm keeping the Shryke and will practice with it and maybe bag it on occasion, and it did do me right in showing me how truly good the Destiny is.

The Shryke was okay for me, but in head-to-head competition with the Destiny, the Shryke just plain got beat out for the place in my bag. I'm keeping the Shryke and will practice with it and maybe bag it on occasion, and it did do me right in showing me how truly good the Destiny is.

I've only tried 1 Destiny (TP). I found it on the course but it looked to be about 7-8 / 10 condition. It was super flippy though. Even putting a lot of hyzer on it, I couldn't make it finish without diving right. Maybe the VIP ones are more stable, but I don't like champion type plastics all that much. Maybe the one I tried was more beat than it looked, but I definitely need something more stable than what it was.

I really need to try this. I love the feel of the Destroyer and the flight of the Tern. McBeth apparently trusts it. And I also agree with you that the Destiny (I also found then traded) was far too flippy for me to throw properly...although I can see it bombing for some people, especially if some of them are more stable.

I'm thinking that I need to feel up a Shryke. Beat Destroyer flight seems like it will fix everything that is wrong with my bag. Looks like my discing down theory will have to wait. If it is more HSS than a DDx it will find a spot in my bag.

I'm thinking it sounds like an Innova DDX. For me, the DDX is what I'm throwing for max distance but it's usually only 375-400 for me on a good throw. I'd be interested to feel one, but I doubt the DDX is going anywhere for me right now with my arm speed. Really interesting that Paul is throwing one though. I could see him bombing it on a huge anny sometime this year for some crazy distance.

I'm thinking it sounds like an Innova DDX. For me, the DDX is what I'm throwing for max distance but it's usually only 375-400 for me on a good throw. I'd be interested to feel one, but I doubt the DDX is going anywhere for me right now with my arm speed. Really interesting that Paul is throwing one though. I could see him bombing it on a huge anny sometime this year for some crazy distance.

I have both the Star Shryke and and S-Line DDx and C-Line DDx. The Shryke is more understable for me, turns over more. The DDx is like a more-straight-to-OS Champion Tern...

Saw paul bust one out on a long forehand shot while watching spin tv for the aussie open.

Surprised it would be in his bag that soon.

Latest posts