• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Vs. Discraft

I really like this kind of thread. I'm always curious about what people throw and why. My area is very innova heavy, but I throw a LOT of discraft. They just seem to feel better in my hands and it seems that they have a better choice when it comes to slower, less stable discs. I throw FH and BH to about 310.

Breakdown:
Drivers
2 Discraft (for FH)
4 rogues
2 lightning discs

Mids
2 or 3 molds all DC

Putters
1 DC mold
1 Innova mold (for wind)
1 other mold

That being said, I am pretty sure that I could play just as well with all innova. I like wraiths for FH, rocs are fine as mids and I'm sure I could find an understable innova putter if I put my mind to it... Dart? Beat up Sonic?

Innova dominates my bag from putter (Aviar PnA) to mid (DX roc/DX stingray) to control drivers (CE Valk/CE T-bird/CE Leopard/CE Eagle) to long range (Star Wraiths and 1st run bosses). I like the DC tracker for overstable (shorter than long distance) shots. I also have a Surge FLX at the end of my bag which is rarely thrown.

I love Innova molds but I am still torqued at the decision to phase out the CE Line (Sure they've given plenty of reasons why they did it, but still I feel that they discovered a plastic that was near indestructible - good for the consumer but bad for their bottom line, so they "improved" it with a new line) Maybe they'll decide to do a re-release someday (perhaps they'll "stumble" onto the original recipe and have just enough product to release a super limited run of all of our favorites) Let the bidding begin.

I also find something inherently slimy about the way that Innova releases their runs, the "nuances" that are phased in and out which create artificial demand with those who use their product is B.S. Case in point, the first run Boss. I bought 1 for $15 bucks new when first released 6 months ago, now I am looking at $30-$40 slightly used if I am lucky. I didn't know when I first picked one up if I would like it, be able to throw it, etc. The 2nd run Boss is totally different. Why should I have to buy two discs "in case I like it"? In a couple of years I won't be able to find them, let alone replace this disc if lost. I think that this practice pushes people to buy multiples at the time of purchase, knowing that the future of the disc is questionable. Slimy, indeed.

Now half of the discs that I have learned to throw and have built my game on are irreplaceable. I find, I rarely throw my favorite plastic for fear of losing it and the reality that I will never be able to replace it. So, what's the point? I am just hauling around an overweight golfbag.

That being said as much as I try to gravitate towards DC and other brands I end up coming back to Innova. I am trying to modify my game to Innova discs that I can pull off the shelf, play, throw into the woods, and go pick up another. I.e., limit the number of molds I purchase, scale down plastic to DX molds and star molds only. I suppose that they'll soon be "improving" the star wraith next, so stock up on em. They'll never mess with the DX Rancho Roc, right? they wouldn't do that...

Yes a rant, and quite possibly what will push me away from Innova someday. Until then, enjoy those Teebirds.

Since when is a Valk a control driver? Last I checked it held the world record for distance. Way too much high-speed turn to ever be a control/fairway driver IMHO. When I think of a control driver, I think of a TL. Is it easier to control than a wraith or a groove? I suppose so, but that hardly makes it a control driver, at least until we start calling Teebirds midranges.

I have always liked Innova because when I first started playing everyone I knew used Innova so those are the discs I have become familiar with, everything in my bag is Innova but I would not mind trying out a few Discraft discs, I have heard a lot of good things about the Flick

toss up

To me, it's all about the feel and the result - which I think go hand in hand.

I like the Pro-D Plastic of Discraft over Innova's DX -

Although different in feel, I like both Star & ESP...

I'm pretty simple & straightforward, and I pack light.

My assortment:

Innova BEAST

Discraft AVENGER SS

Discraft 150 XL

Innova TL

Innova LEOPARD

Innova POLECAT

Gateway WIZARD

I might swap an Innova Valkyrie with the Beast on occasion.

I'll pack a Quest DOUBLE D if it's a extremely windy day -

I sya Innova just because that is what I am used to. Can find these discs anywhere, types of plastics cover all needs and easy to compare with their charts. I have tried other brands, but it is just difficult to leave what is working for you.

My bag is almost entirely innova because that's all you can buy around here, with the exception of 1 DGA Rogue, which is actually my longest driver so maybe I should try some more DGA stuff.

I really haven't really tried much other than Innova. My club used to pay out in Innova plastic at monthlies and they're more readily available at retail establishments. (I do like to hold something before I buy it.)

If anyone insists that I try another company's product please ship your recommendations to:

Erich Schaffer
2518 Seamist Court
Port Hueneme, California

Innova seems way too inconsitent in their molds so you could use a disc one year and then a new mold of the same disc will fly completely different. Although I still say use whatever works for you and most times it's probably a mix

i use what works best mainly a good mix of discraft and innova with the exception of a gateway wizard putter and a millenium QJLS driver.

Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Millenium, DGA, Lightning, Latitude 64, Ching, Aerobie, Quest AT, Snap, Vibram, Discwing, Discmania, WhamO, & Black Jax (maybe there are others) ALL make a good product. Decent aerodymanic designs, decent molding, & decent quality control. All have issues with consistency & repeatability, both within a run & (moreso) between different runs, as that is the nature of the beast when injection molding with an ever-changing array of available raw materials.
What really makes one better than any other (in a given person's mind) is how "at home" their discs feel in the hand & how closely they fly compared to how the thrower wants them to fly.

I love the discraft and Millennium. The JLS used to be one of my favorite discs tell I lost it. The MRV is my all time favorite mid-range and the LX Elite-Z 1.5 is a great driver.

I have mostly Innova. It is because that was the first plastic I was exposed to by Mr. Shurts' son and we got it cheap. Over the last few yrs, I have been using other brands. Now I only use a Blowfly for putting. I still have an Aviar for pancakes to get outta trouble. Also, I have a Buzz and a Squall that I really love for straight shots and anhyzers. But the other 11 disc I use are Innova with 1 Millenium Express (I hardly throw the Express)

I currently have more Discraft discs than Innova. I play them both, but I like the feel of Discraft's plastic a little more. Even their cheapo Pro-D. One plus of Innova - it seems you can find them at almost every sporting goods store on the planet. I now read that some Walgreens stores carry them. The place I shop for Discraft discs (mostly for the prices) is about 70 miles away. Sure, I could order online, but I like to get my hands on a disc before I buy it. The money I would spend on s&h goes into the gas tank instead and gets me out of the house for the day. New discs + day trip to Fo Co = win win. As for who makes the best disc I'll have to pull an old one out from my dad's arsenal of replies, "I don't think the best has been made yet."

Honestly I like everything about discraft better than innova except the availability (which seems to be a big problem as to why more people use Innova). Props to Innova for doing this but it seems like more an more people would use discraft instead if it were more readily available

Latest posts