• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova XCaliber

I thought Nate liked the Excostar ones?

I know he throws them for power FH shots...but does anyone have any idea where they fit in relative to his other discs? Like are they more stable than his flippy Destroyers but not as OS as his actually beefy Destroyers or PD2's? Or does he use pretty OS ones and just save them for power forehands?

In my experience XCals get a minor turn and a reliable but not ridiculous fade...like a 12/4/-0.5/2.5 disc...almost like a speed 12 beefy Thunderbird. They just fly different than an OS Destroyer but I don't feel they have the same characteristics as a beat Destroyer. I also love them for laser forehands with finish...I just don't understand why they work so well for it.

In my experience XCals get a minor turn and a reliable but not ridiculous fade...like a 12/4/-0.5/2.5 disc...almost like a speed 12 beefy Thunderbird. They just fly different than an OS Destroyer but I don't feel they have the same characteristics as a beat Destroyer.

^ Nailed it. Beefy Destroyers start fading right out of my hand. A good Xcal is going to track straight and even hint at some turn -- maybe just drop it's wing a touch -- before a sharper reliable fade. Like a nice Eagle-X or OLF.

Honestly, I would rather throw an Xcal for really OS shots or into a headwind for the added go-straight. But I also need to break super beefy Destroyers in. So it is a conundrum.

Also, Xcals are better if your goal is spite.

Last edited:
I thought Nate liked the Excostar ones?

Yeah, in the past I think last years Memorial and BSF, he was using orange Echo Stars but recently in TX and GBO he used a purple or blue stars probably PFN. I think he mentioned he got them from Avery.

I know he throws them for power FH shots...but does anyone have any idea where they fit in relative to his other discs? Like are they more stable than his flippy Destroyers but not as OS as his actually beefy Destroyers or PD2's? Or does he use pretty OS ones and just save them for power forehands?

In my experience XCals get a minor turn and a reliable but not ridiculous fade...like a 12/4/-0.5/2.5 disc...almost like a speed 12 beefy Thunderbird. They just fly different than an OS Destroyer but I don't feel they have the same characteristics as a beat Destroyer. I also love them for laser forehands with finish...I just don't understand why they work so well for it.

I have wondered the same thing about his choice of Xcals over Destroyers for certain throws. I feel like the majority of his power FH throws are Xcals though. He throws them pretty flat and I think thats where the answer lies and the magic is with Xcals. They are more forgiving and controlable with the forehand motion.

I'd agree on this. I can torque an XCal hard and it'll turn a bit before fading hard at the end of flight. For me its not a super long driver, but I know it won't ever flip or start drifting off course to the right. Highly reliable. I really love that it isn't pure beef and can actually achieve acceptable yardage while still being overstable.

Are Xcals really OOP? I'm finding more of the softer star plastic with dome runs these days. Really prefer the older firm plastic with mild dome. Favorite flick disc by far. Kind of worried.

Are Xcals really OOP? I'm finding more of the softer star plastic with dome runs these days. Really prefer the older firm plastic with mild dome. Favorite flick disc by far. Kind of worried.

I got a new i-dye xcaliber from the proshop within the last year I think. It isn't as magical as a stiff star pfn xcal, but it is decent.

Innova needs to get their **** straight before I give up on them.

Discs I like to main but can't anymore:
-classic rocs (I tried to buy the star reprints but everything above 165 sold out instantly, both days)
-xd (fun fact a star xd f2 is somewhere between $200-$300 mint)
-gremlin
-goblin (why the **** would you get rid of your most beginner-friendly mid...)
-beadless gator
-kcp eagles
-jkp valks
-gazelles that aren't all flat domeless. If I wanted a cheetah, I'd buy a cheetah. If Innova ran a bunch of premiuim gazelles with pop tops they would probably sell out instantly...

I'm sure I could think of more but adding the xcaliber to the list isn't going to help me stay with Innova.

Last edited:
I got a new i-dye xcaliber from the proshop within the last year I think. It isn't as magical as a stiff star pfn xcal, but it is decent.

Innova needs to get their **** straight before I give up on them.

Discs I like to main but can't anymore:
-classic rocs (I tried to buy the star reprints but everything above 165 sold out instantly, both days)
-xd (fun fact a star xd f2 is somewhere between $200-$300 mint)
-gremlin
-goblin (why the **** would you get rid of your most beginner-friendly mid...)
-beadless gator
-kcp eagles
-jkp valks
-gazelles that aren't all flat domeless. If I wanted a cheetah, I'd buy a cheetah. If Innova ran a bunch of premiuim gazelles with pop tops they would probably sell out instantly...

I'm sure I could think of more but adding the xcaliber to the list isn't going to help me stay with Innova.

He_daabf3_6271347.jpg

Yeah it's weird when other sub-/partner-companies have to remake your discs because people still want them but Innova won't make them. For example Gremlin with Discmania and beadless Gator with Hyzerbomb.

Yeah it's weird when other sub-/partner-companies have to remake your discs because people still want them but Innova won't make them. For example Gremlin with Discmania and beadless Gator with Hyzerbomb.

Lol even DM discontinued the Gremlin.

Lol even DM discontinued the Gremlin.

Yeah I just searched/saw. I've never seen or thrown one, meaning it's probably quite justified to get rid of it. It is strange though when one company discontinues a mold and another picks up the exact same disc.

Haha, and the Mortar isn't even a beadless Gator.

I thought that's what several pros say it is? Is it essentially "the same disc" but not 100% the same parts?

I am just going by what some in the bags have said, I obviously don't know what mold pieces are used for what.

I thought that's what several pros say it is? Is it essentially "the same disc" but not 100% the same parts?

I am just going by what some in the bags have said, I obviously don't know what mold pieces are used for what.

The rim of the Gator looks more squared while the Mortar looks rounded and convex ... kind of like a vGator

Haha, and the Mortar isn't even a beadless Gator.

Gators are inconsistent with their components. Some are blunt (square-ish) and some are rounded. Next time you are around a few of them check to see. I prefer the blunt ones. Way more torque resistant and overstable. Mortars are definitely beadless Gators. They also have some consistency issues but most are the blunt components. I have a few first run star (whatever star hyzer bomb is called) Mortars and they're blunt.

I wonder if the XCal is really going OOP, if so I have a few friends that need to stock up. Though the recent runs are not the same as the near magical PFN star ones that are most loved.

We should probably talk more about how glorious old Xcals are. Every time its really windy, I am reminded how much wind-fighting and go-straight they have when ripped low and flat. Plus they feel great and you can spite your friends with them.

Latest posts