• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova's Pro Plastic

I only throw it for Destroyers.......they glide better than all the other destroyers, and I can use them at various stages of wear.

I'm throwing pro Wraiths, because they beat fast for rollers and huge left to right distance.

Also toying with Pro PDs, I think I would prefer this disc in star plastic but would take a while to beat one straight I assume.

Pro plastic goes far compared to champ/star in my experience as well. Base plastic is longer on average sometimes.

Innova and Millennium drivers in pro plastic have always felt great in my hand. The plastic is a little softer than most champ and star. This allows me to get a better thumb/index pinch and overall better grip on the disc. That usually results in a cleaner release and better, longer throw. The new pro (not r-pro, the good pro) seems to have a little more champ in the mix and holds up for a pretty good while, even with all the rocks and trees I seem to hit. The glide is better on my pro/millennium plastic discs than on their star/sirius counterparts.

TeamTollandDG said:
I only throw it for Destroyers.......they glide better than all the other destroyers, and I can use them at various stages of wear.

Do you have a beat star destroyer in your bag to compare them? let me rephrase that: What is your basis for this claim?

My old star destroyers are money, they travel so faaaaaaaar... My newer ones... not bad, but they don't feel like those ones. I'm betting 90% of this is all in my head, so could that also be the case for pro being "glidier"?

Jeronimo said:
TeamTollandDG said:

Do you have a beat star destroyer in your bag to compare them? let me rephrase that: What is your basis for this claim?

My old star destroyers are money, they travel so faaaaaaaar... My newer ones... not bad, but they don't feel like those ones. I'm betting 90% of this is all in my head, so could that also be the case for pro being "glidier"?
no need for comparison, Pro Destroyers surely have the most glide

Jesse B 707 said:
Jeronimo said:
TeamTollandDG said:

no need for comparison, Pro Destroyers surely have the most glide

The destroyers I started with were the first run star stamp ones. Then I got my hands on a sugarbush pro destroyer and never looked back. Glide fo days. And they start out more overstable than a star one. I really like my wicked beat one as well for big turnover shots.

marmoset said:
edrift101 said:
+ Pro plastic feels NICE
+ It can take more abuse than DX
+ It only costs a couple bucks more than DX
I'll add...
Still grips well
still glides well
breaks in well

And a lot of the new pro plastic has some sort of star/champ in the mixture. The Orange PD's I have have some champ in them I think. I think a lot of newer colored Pro discs are like this.

I agree with all the positives listed here. I checked the Innova Catalog last night and they only have 6 at most drivers in the traditional Pro-Line plastic. This is sad. I think DC is following suit with their Elite-X Plastic. It is disappearing faster than American Manufacturing Jobs. Shame.

A broken in pro rhyno is the best disc I've thrown. My putter round scores make me wonder why I even bother with drivers.

i beg to differ, pro leopards are money.

i recently picked up a merlot pro destroyer, and unlike any other pro d ive seen, its not domey. flies like a star to me, but is starting to beat in pretty nice. i bought a eco star destroyer at the same time and it flies way stable and with alot of glide (domey).

MDR_3000 said:
Pro plastic is awesome in distance drivers, sucks for fairway drivers.
Ode said:
i beg to differ, pro leopards are money.
I kind of agree with both of these; Leos are the only good fairway in Pro IMO. Those things can BOMB! I'd be interested to see them in R-Pro... I wonder if they'd react the same way the Boss did? Tons of glide and extra D?

i think the r-pro plastic is crap in the driver mix and hope they dont continue making more molds in it. if it had more durability maybe, but its current form is bad. thats not to say that i havent seen some people bomb the 150's, i just dont like the plastic.

I'll add another positive note for the Pro Destroyer...

Fantastic grip, which seems to be a plus for the wide-rim, at least for me, to get a good grip on it. The plastic is smooth and although it isn't as tough as Star it also is not prone to become abraded or frayed. The beating in seems to be mostly accommodated by an ever so slight nudging in of the sharp edge and gradual/smooth deformation of the nose and rim.

Once it gets beat in a little, it has a nice long glide, not too much HSS, not too little HSS, but just right. I can throw mine 320' (flat ground, no wind, 174 g) consistently, and on a slight hyzer release it will turn gradually to just past flat (i.e., it will go over and fly a teensy tad right for RHBH) and after gliding beautifully it will come back with a respectable amount of fade at the end.

The only brand-spanking-new disc I've ever thrown that has similar flight characteristics to a beat Destroyer is the Z Surge SS. I don't think they're exactly the same by any means, only that this is the most similar I can think (and when I throw both in practice they both end up right next to one another).

When I get more distance consistently, I'll probably pick up a Star Destroyer, since it will beat in more slowly and remain more HSS for a longer time, which is of course better for higher speed flight.

Latest posts