• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Installing signage - Whats the best position in relation the the Tee box

gottafixit

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
So my course will be getting new signage install pretty soon. I have to go out and mark were to put them so Parks and Rec can come in after and put them in. Signs are 12x18 I think and will be installed on 4x4 posts. So lets hear some opinions on where is the best spot to place the signage in relation to the tee pad. My thought is 3-4 ft of to one side of the front of the tee pad facing so the person teeing off can read it while on the tee.

Not at the end of the tee box, not four to five feet high, and definitely not the right side. Reibe Park in Princeton, MN has their signage like this. I feel like I am going to backhand a sign on every drive and slice my hand off. Often I either runup and release a foot short of where I would like to, or I get timid with my follow through and end up with OAT because I am oversnapping while decelerating my arm.

I actually have no issues with "stumps" or short tee signs that are only a foot or so tall. This is usually good enough to not be an issue in the winter. In fact, it helps people digging out of snow to know where the front of the tee box is. Because of its lower height, it does not interfere with my follow through and I do not have to worry about hitting it with my arm or hand.

One foot behind pad. 3-4 ft off to whichever side the previous hole comes from. Do you really need to stand on the pad and see the sign at the same time? If anything thats a waste of time as you should be throwing when its your turn, not reading. My opinion.

Just be careful if you put them 3-4 feet off to the side of the back of the teepad. If there's any possibility someone could want to throw a backhand roller on that hole, it could get in the way of their runup. Other than that, it sounds good to me.

Somewhere out of the way but still visable as you stand at the back of the tee box. Like #13 at Renny:
teesignlocation_zpsda339a61.jpg

Confusing!

And here is an example of where NOT to put the tee signs:
9bb6f89c.jpg

DSCJNKY & I played this course & we were shocked at the seeming disregard for the location of these tee signs. Somone took a lot of time & effort to make these wooden signs & then they slap them into the ground right where you run up onto the tee pad :\.

My comments posted on the PDGA.Com site. My experience in building, designing courses, replacing and repairing and relocating signs.

In front of the pad is best. Off to the left or right.
1. you can see what you are throwing and the distance without having to get back off the pad.

2. A good distance in front at a diagonal from the pad eliminates issues where signs or posts are in the way of runups.
3. People kick the first thing they see when they throw a bad shot. I have seen tons of foot prints on signs. Location close to the tee or at the back of the pad leads to destroyed signs.
4. signs at the back of the pad are drawn on by players while they wait at back ups or for other people to throw.
5. People hang their bags on sign posts at the back of the pad not the front.

I think signs are best viewed from the pad (which means you can view them from behind the pad too)

Thread:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=34987

And here is an example of where NOT to put the tee signs:
9bb6f89c.jpg

DSCJNKY & I played this course & we were shocked at the seeming disregard for the location of these tee signs. Somone took a lot of time & effort to make these wooden signs & then they slap them into the ground right where you run up onto the tee pad :\.

Ya, that's a perfect example of a tee sign that would screw up a RHBH roller. Even just a regular throw that could get in the way.

People hang their bags on sign posts at the back of the pad not the front.

This, UNLESS a bag holder is incorporated into the signage. I actually like this idea. Three Rivers Parks have really sturdy bag holders and they work really well.

Pier Park locates them in a variety of places from near the front to behind the tee, but at least 5'-10' off to one side, as the winter wetness of the course necessitates having bag holders on the signs.

Use your Zen to place the signs at the most appropriate spot for the landscape. Don't be set on a format-sign here pad here. Be sure to let the energy flow, picture the setting in a Disc magazine or in a town brochure.

Most important, 5 or 10 feet away from the thrown/run-up/follow through.

Use your Zen to place the signs at the most appropriate spot for the landscape. Don't be set on a format-sign here pad here. Be sure to let the energy flow, picture the setting in a Disc magazine or in a town brochure.

You beat me to it.....I was going to suggest consulting a Feng Shui expert.

My comments posted on the PDGA.Com site. My experience in building, designing courses, replacing and repairing and relocating signs.

In front of the pad is best. Off to the left or right.
1. you can see what you are throwing and the distance without having to get back off the pad.

2. A good distance in front at a diagonal from the pad eliminates issues where signs or posts are in the way of runups.
3. People kick the first thing they see when they throw a bad shot. I have seen tons of foot prints on signs. Location close to the tee or at the back of the pad leads to destroyed signs.
4. signs at the back of the pad are drawn on by players while they wait at back ups or for other people to throw.
5. People hang their bags on sign posts at the back of the pad not the front.

I think signs are best viewed from the pad (which means you can view them from behind the pad too)

Thread:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=34987

I have seen discs badly damaged from tee signs in front of tee pad, definitly not the best placement

Seth Burton in WV used to have them on the tee pads which was absolutely terrible. They have since cut them all off and moved them away.

b5026b95.jpg

I went for 5ft off the right front corner. Think this will give plenty of room.

Latest posts