• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Interview with Nikko Locastro podcast

I think Nikko is a pretty a cool guy. eh throws discs while staying positive and doesn't afraid of anything...

I did cringe when I heard, "We got some questions from DGRC..."
I was like, "Oops, time to ask Nikko what weight Boss he putts with or which Axe body wash he uses." but it wasn't that bad.

Dig It said:
I think Nikko is a pretty a cool guy. eh throws discs while staying positive and doesn't afraid of anything...
I liked following him around in the EO2011 for just over half a round. He does seem like he really really enjoys playing. I also like the fact that unlike some other players, he's pretty much himself. When his Destroyer turned into a headwind and landed deep in the OB, a pretty loud "F*cking idiot!" could be heard coming from the teebox. =)

Dig It said:

I did cringe when I heard, "We got some questions from DGRC..."
I was like, "Oops, time to ask Nikko what weight Boss he putts with or which Axe body wash he uses." but it wasn't that bad.
Well it's like this on some earlier interviews i posted on here to see if anyone had any questions they wanted to ask but got no response and when i posted there I got questions and usually good ones at that so i use them. I do this on my own and also I have a show i do on fishing so any help I get no matter where from I use.

I volunteered for the Worlds and saw just about all of the competitors. When Nikko came past, he was really struggling with his game. But his demeanor was great. He made some quiet comments about how poorly he was playing, but he didn't blame anyone or anything else. He took complete responsibility for his game.

One of the funny things to me was that all of the younger competitors were great. Out of 400 or so players, I saw poor behavior from 4 guys and they were top players in their 30's and 40's. Towards the end of the tournament, I mentioned this to one of the PDGA officials. The official threw out 5 names and the 4 guys were on that list.

Anyway, my point is that I expected the bad behavior from young, less mature players, but found the bad behavior from the older, more mature players. And the PDGA officials see consistent bad behavior from the same few players.

In all fairness, 99% of the players were great. Almost everyone thanked me for volunteering. And almost everyone accepted my directions well, even when it meant they would have to wait a few minutes for others.

I'll echo Cruz Duck: Nikko is a fun player to watch, he can make some really great throws and plays aggressive. I fished an errant upshot of his out of a tree at Worlds, and he took the news (over 2m) like a man. He lost his whole bag of Destroyers in dense poison oak during a practice round, and had to buy a whole new set just before the tournament...took it in stride (even though he also was afflicted with poison oak the entire tournament). I never met Nikko when he was as ornery like some people suggest he used to be, and I think he has earned a different reputation since that time.

cruz duck said:
...Out of 400 or so players, I saw poor behavior from 4 guys and they were top players in their 30's and 40's...I expected the bad behavior from young, less mature players, but found the bad behavior from the older, more mature players...PDGA officials see consistent bad behavior from the same few players...

There was a group that came by in the A pool at Worlds that just had a black cloud over them, somehow, totally bad vibes. But like you said, it was rare, most folks were on the most-fun-wins train.

I guess they have banned players previously, when it simply got way out of hand (e.g., Cam Todd). And like you said, it isn't the straw that breaks the camel's back, it's the long precedent beforehand that really makes the case.

Some guys are hot-heads, plain and simple. They expect perfection, are only capable of so much, and then they rage at themselves and sometimes lash out at others. Personally, I find this behavior very amusing, although some others are offended by it. Either way, it is embarrassing for the person exhibiting the behavior. I think that if young kids see the difference, and have older guys who they look up to playing a better role model, that this stuff goes away with time. Yeah, you're always going to have some hot-heads, but as long as it isn't contagious and snowballing out of control, it remains limited.

The PDGA official that I was talking to, was assigned to follow one of the "troublemakers" around the course. He stayed with the group the entire round. When they played past me, there was no bad behavior. :)

My only problem was with the top pro who chewed out a spectator. The spectator was moving in the background while the pro was trying to putt. Note that the spectator was watching at a different hole, but was in the background. The player missed his putt and shouted at the spectator. I am absolutely sure that the spectator was not intentionally trying to distract the pro, but the pro intentionally embarrassed the spectator. That bothers me.

For those who know Delaveaga, I was a spotter on the 13/16 crossing fairways. The pro was putting on hole 15 and the spectator was watching hole 12. Unfortunately, four different holes in a small area. And when the top pros are playing through, there were a number spectators around.

A good story: I was watching a player with a 70 foot approach shot. He was forehanding a beast (?). He griplocked his shot and it veered 90 degrees off of his target. And of course, the disc was speeding right towards the bench behind the next tee. The player yelled "Fore". Jim Oates was sitting on the bench and looked up just as the disc smashed into his knee. At the time, Jim was easily leading his division. I could just see Jim thinking, "Oh no, I just lost the Worlds." His knee was pretty sore, but he handled it really well and he played on. Jim ended up winning the World Championship in his division.

cruz duck said:
...A good story: ... Jim Oates was sitting on the bench and looked up just as the disc smashed into his knee...was pretty sore, but he handled it really well and he played on. Jim ended up winning the World Championship in his division.

Yeah, Jim is one tough dude! Definitely knows how to play through, and overcome, all kinds of injuries.

This interview made me kinda curious. He talks about how its difficult to make money and stay on the tour and it got making me think.

If he were with Innova or Discraft would he be in a better situation?
I've talked to a few discraft sponsored players about how they get bonuses from Discraft for placing well in evenets (i guess tier level matters as well). I assume that Innova players get a similar deal. However, the few Gateway sponsored players I've talked to do not get this compensation. So back to the point, I wonder if Nikko would have have easier financial woes to deal with if he were a Innova or Discraft player? Also, I would think that DMac would be taking care of his teams only star at least somewhat.

Which then makes think of another issue I have with pro's complaining about money. None of them ever mention the benefits they get from their sponsors. Do they think we are all idiots? its obvious to me that they get something other than free gear from their sponsors (not to mention i have been told by a few what they get). On top of that they are well above the poverty line with theirs winnings, and alot of the new school pros dont have huge debt (ex. college) to pay off. So alot of that money they get to keep and decide what they want to do with it (not have to...ex debt).

I've done alot of traveling around in this country, its not expensive at all if you avoid certain things. so i feel no empathy for them complaining of travel cost. a few lessons ive learned. #1 most important is not eating out all the time, get a grill or a campfire and cook it, way cheaper and tastes better. #2, realize which part of the country you are in, gas prices will vary in rural/urban areas. In the Midwest, get your gas somewhere in bumble-fuck, much much cheaper. In the West get your gas in the areas major cities. I haven't done much in the East or South so I'm not sure there but I do remember them being more like the Midwest. #3, hotels are not worth the extra $$$, car camp or RV it. Lots of campgrounds have great showers and working toilets. Making a comfortable bed is easy. Across most the country its less than $15 a night to camp (generally).

im just tired of hearing people who get to play a sport they love professionally complain, especially about $$$. i have to work a job that i do not love. I would give my left nut to be able to play DG for a living.

Smyith said:
im just tired of hearing people who get to play a sport they love professionally complain, especially about $$$. i have to work a job that i do not love. I would give my left nut to be able to play DG for a living.
i would not give either nut for an uncertain paycheck. i like my nuts and my bimonthly salary.

larger manufacturers do give tier-specific performance bonuses to their higher-level pros. smaller companies have pretty weak sponsorships, often just some trunk-stock to sell is the best they can offer.

IMO sponsorships are hardly what they're cracked up to be by the recreational competitor. recognition is about the only positive... you have to sacrifice a lot to get those meager dollars and be stressed out by every stroke of a (formerly) fun-time activity.

Smyith said:
Also, I would think that DMac would be taking care of his teams only star at least somewhat.
Btw, isn't he Nikko's uncle? I seem to recall Nikko mention that in an early video.

Leopard said:
Smyith said:
i would not give either nut for an uncertain paycheck. i like my nuts and my bimonthly salary.

larger manufacturers do give tier-specific performance bonuses to their higher-level pros. smaller companies have pretty weak sponsorships, often just some trunk-stock to sell is the best they can offer.

IMO sponsorships are hardly what they're cracked up to be by the recreational competitor. recognition is about the only positive... you have to sacrifice a lot to get those meager dollars and be stressed out by every stroke of a (formerly) fun-time activity.

truth

I completely agree with Leopard.

What makes discgolf super fun for me is that when I play, I could care less about how much $$ I'm going to finish with. I get paid out on a weekly basis regardless of how well I'm playing in a tournament. The day disc golf isn't fun for me anymore I'll stop playing it.

Smyith said:
jubuttib said:
Smyith said:
Also, I would think that DMac would be taking care of his teams only star at least somewhat.
Btw, isn't he Nikko's uncle? I seem to recall Nikko mention that in an early video.
yes he is

since this is a fact there may be some family deal going on that Nikko may have to publicly downplay in order to avoid scandal. The previous statement is pure conjecture on my part.

I agree with the other 9-5'ers ITT. What Pro level DG is right now is chump change compared to other pro level sports. The more I think about things, the more it feels like DG will not have the money that other sports have for another 50 years if ever. I think we're more on the level of pro billiards. But that won't stop me from playing.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44628826

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32238333/The_Top_10_Most_Interesting_Trends_In_Sports

just an interesting read.