• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Interview with Vibram's Steven Dodge

I will and heck he may come on here and answer you himself!! We plan to have him on again because we went for 1 and a half hours and still did not get to all the questions we had for him.

Cool thanks! I wonder how that would even work? Do they make glowing rubber? I feel like it must be possible.

I know you already did the interview, but if you ever get him back on air, ask if we're ever going to see any glowing discs from Vibram.

I'm pretty sure, somewhere deep in the original Vibram thread, you will find the answer to this question.
If I remember, glow additives were tried, but the result was less than stellar. I think the problem is the rubber is opaque, so only the glow material near the surface was visible.

Now, if Vibram could come up with an unpigmented X link material, then maybe.
Candy Vibrams ? :)

After listening, I am really curious how Vibram thinks that they will be able to ever open doors of discussion with other disc manufacturers. As a consumer, and one who hopes that disc golf becomes bigger, it's really tough from my perspective to see companies like Innova and Discraft afraid of competition to the point they are.

To Innova.... if the sport grows, maybe your market share shrinks.... HOWEVER there is no way that your total business will be smaller. Would you rather own 70% or more of a niche market (that your business revolves around), or own 40% of a market that is five times bigger?

To Vibram.... Put the shoe on the other foot. Why would you ever want to grow the other companies on purpose until you are actually threatened by competition? I'm sure Gateway has putt a dent on innova's putter sales.

To ALL companies.... You are in a small market. It would be in everyone's best interest to have meetings between all of you to determine certain standards. Yes, the PDGA is the governing body, but as a manufacturer, you guys would be a powerful team in the same room as the PDGA while determining and modifying specs and regulations. On top of that, like was said in the interview, a universal flight system is a MUST for the consumer. As consumers, we have short attention spans. If you go into a store, you have innova mixed with discraft mixed with lat64 mixed with vibram, etc. Discs ARE NOT RETURNABLE. Why are we expected to buy something based on a system we don't know, knowing we might have to return it.

I ASK... Disc golf companies, please get together. This is not about yourself. Steve Dodge says that he can essentially run 2 USDGCs for the price of one. THAT IS A VALUABLE RESOURCE. If I was the USDGC, I would pick his brain and use the money that you save to sponsor the vibram open. I love the USDGC, but I am also surprised by the cost involved to run.

The future of this sport is in the hands of the manufacturers. Let's hope they get it right.

After listening, I am really curious how Vibram thinks that they will be able to ever open doors of discussion with other disc manufacturers. As a consumer, and one who hopes that disc golf becomes bigger, it's really tough from my perspective to see companies like Innova and Discraft afraid of competition to the point they are.

To Innova.... if the sport grows, maybe your market share shrinks.... HOWEVER there is no way that your total business will be smaller. Would you rather own 70% or more of a niche market (that your business revolves around), or own 40% of a market that is five times bigger?

To Vibram.... Put the shoe on the other foot. Why would you ever want to grow the other companies on purpose until you are actually threatened by competition? I'm sure Gateway has putt a dent on innova's putter sales.

To ALL companies.... You are in a small market. It would be in everyone's best interest to have meetings between all of you to determine certain standards. Yes, the PDGA is the governing body, but as a manufacturer, you guys would be a powerful team in the same room as the PDGA while determining and modifying specs and regulations. On top of that, like was said in the interview, a universal flight system is a MUST for the consumer. As consumers, we have short attention spans. If you go into a store, you have innova mixed with discraft mixed with lat64 mixed with vibram, etc. Discs ARE NOT RETURNABLE. Why are we expected to buy something based on a system we don't know, knowing we might have to return it.

I ASK... Disc golf companies, please get together. This is not about yourself. Steve Dodge says that he can essentially run 2 USDGCs for the price of one. THAT IS A VALUABLE RESOURCE. If I was the USDGC, I would pick his brain and use the money that you save to sponsor the vibram open. I love the USDGC, but I am also surprised by the cost involved to run.

The future of this sport is in the hands of the manufacturers. Let's hope they get it right.

Bravo! Seeing as the PDGA is not a particularly strong entity, I'm sure that if all the major manufacturers got more active in changing things that the PDGA would take their recommendations into serious consideration. This sport has ALWAYS been in the hands of the manufacturers, as those that run them were involved in the sport from way back in the day. It's definitely time for some manufacturers to start sharing the costs of the major tourneys. Imagine the prize pool if Innova, Discraft, Latitude 64, and Vibram were all to pitch in for one huge tourney? Every other sport has multiple sponsors, so why not disc golf?

I Steve Dodge says that he can essentially run 2 USDGCs for the price of one.
I didn't get to listen to the broadcast and i have never been to the Vibram Open. i am a HUGE fan of Steve and what he as created up in CT. though. In my opinion though i think the USDGC and the Vibram Open are 2 totally different tournaments and please people who have been to both let me know your opinions as well. The way i see it the Vibram Open is a players tournament and the USDGC's is a spectators tournament. Vibram is on private property while USDGC's is on a college campus. I have seen many MSDGC videos so i have an idea of what the property looks like and i am not sure you could facilitate the hundreds of people that the USDGC's pulls as pure spectators. Not to mention the Hospitatilty tents, edge experience areas and ALL the other fringe things the USDGC's offers visitors of the tournament.
The Vibram is on the right track as far as becoming the biggest paying tournament in the sport but the USDGC's has a lot of different things they are trying to accomplish other than a huge payout.
My hats off to Steve and the Vibram though. i am going to make it up there one year for sure!

Latest posts