• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

Honestly I think the 3 free discs was maybe a bit too whimsical for my liking. It's hard to take a company (or a person) seriously when they just make things up as they go along.

Good point! Three free discs for you! It's starting to fell like Oprah up in here. "You get discs, you get free discs, and you get free discs!"

As a guy who has spent time behind the counter at the brick-and-mortar store, I can tell you that the average or newer player who hardly spends any time on the internet will likely gravitate to Innova and Discraft. If they do try something new, it is either because the store put a huge display up front, or more likely, because they had heard something about it from someone who had heard about how awesome they are from someone else at a league or tournament or playing a casual round.

The player who spends the money that supports these new companies is the person who spends a lot of time on these forums have had heard many positive reviews and have seen many profile pictures from those who are testers and or are in the know. It is these customers who purchase two or three of these discs at a time. Soon they come back in and buy a few more back-ups, likely in the color and weight they prefer, and then they purchase a few other discs from the same company. Until a company becomes more established, this is where the most money is going to come from (the second and subsequent orders to replenish the initial offering).

If SD wants to throw around a few discs to those who will likely be loudest here in the forums, that really is not that bad of a business plan. Of course it can backfire if said "tester" does nothing more than create flame wars, but if that "tester" ends up posting a ton of pictures and does a respectable enough job describing the disc's flight, I am sure that several of us are going to head to an online store or a brick-and-mortar and purchase a few to try for our selves. I am sure many of us will buy them thinking that if it does not turn out to be a miracle disc that we can turn around and sell them here in the marketplace.

So, with that all being said, let me throw my shameless plug in for a few "tester" discs. I would love to have something new to talk about at league. Plus, with the school year done and I do not have to be back in the classroom teaching until mid-August, I will have a ton of time to play and hang out here. /Shameless plug.

So, with that all being said, let me throw my shameless plug in for a few "tester" discs. I would love to have something new to talk about at league. Plus, with the school year done and I do not have to be back in the classroom teaching until mid-August, I will have a ton of time to play and hang out here. /Shameless plug.

Free discs for you!

Yeah we get it. He called us trolls and "rewards" the actual troll. I'm glad you got something you wanted, broseph. I don't need any giant diameter magic discs that don't fit right in the bag. I'll keep throwing my old traditional flying plastic.

By the way......OU sucks. :p

All I want is your undying love and affection.

I have no idea what to expect, but I will be getting as deep as I can/ you'll let me. Then I'll review these discs or whatever.

You're totally right. Oregon, Ohio, and Oakland U suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

But seriously.... Why does anyone care that I get discs? I'm not even a "tester." I just happen to get some, and am doing the pictures/ review of my own volition. It wasn't because I stuck up for him, or was trolling, hell. I don't even know what I got them for! But here's the kicker...

It shouldn't matter to anyone not involved. All it means is that some of you turds/ angels/ princesses will get to see some pretty pictures and read a review on them! Now let's quit bickering, change our collective Manpons, and go complain about Prodigy and Innova disc consistency!

Or talk about Salient Discs in this thread because that's what it's for.

On topic: The Hand Candy plastic looks like GL/ 400s/ Jolly Launcher plastic had a baby... Which is to say, SEXY.

Isn't Hand Candy from UB, a different manufacturer?

You're totally right! Haha. Two new companies with sick looking new products in days time.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if SD's plastic looks similar to that and some others... The glassy looking plastics just keep getting released lately... Opto, Jolly, Hand Candy, whatever SD decides to call the plastic the Prometheus is in...

I guess if it's the Prometheus, this plastic is the ORIGINAL proto plastic... Badum-tshhhhhh

Also, I'd like to apologize for posting so dang much today... Slow day at work... Took my daily post average up a few points... Haha.

Last edited:
Good point! Three free discs for you! It's starting to fell like Oprah up in here. "You get discs, you get free discs, and you get free discs!"

:D

Or Half Baked when he is leaving his job and is like "**** you, **** you, you're cool, and **** you"

:D

Or Half Baked when he is leaving his job and is like "**** you, **** you, you're cool, and **** you"

Hahaha that is perfect.

Okay I'll go now. :p Will report back whenever I receive my goody bag, and can test them out thoroughly.

At least the popcorn was good... :popcorn:

i know most of you don't remember.... but how does it compare to an aerobie epic in terms of BS hype about it being special?

I don't need any giant diameter magic discs that don't fit right in the bag. I'll keep throwing my old traditional flying plastic.

If these fly 50ft further and feel nicer to the touch than your "traditional flying plastic", something tells me you'll make room in your bag. If you say otherwise, you're just lying.

i know most of you don't remember.... but how does it compare to an aerobie epic in terms of BS hype about it being special?

We don't know that it's BS. Let's give them a chance to get some discs out, and tester's feedback before we say it's all hype.

its is all hype no question about it in my opinion. didn't we hear this a few months back with prodigy?

In my opinion, Prodigy did live up to their hype. The hype wasn't so much about a revolutionary new disc design as it was about an unknown company that had stolen most of the top pros and had some crazy sweet plastic. As it happens, Prodigy did sign most of the top pros, and they do have some great plastic.

In my opinion, Prodigy did live up to their hype. The hype wasn't so much about a revolutionary new disc design as it was about an unknown company that had stolen most of the top pros and had some crazy sweet plastic. As it happens, Prodigy did sign most of the top pros, and they do have some great plastic.

No the hype was how they we're going to change the game and they have not. Changing how top pros are sponsored does nothing for the game. Prodigy may produce nice plastic but they have not lived up to their own self proclaimed hype.

No the hype was how they we're going to change the game and they have not. Changing how top pros are sponsored does nothing for the game. Prodigy may produce nice plastic but they have not lived up to their own self proclaimed hype.

I agree that Prodigy has not lived up to the hype, but what was the hype supposed to be? They would change how tournaments would be held, how they would be run, how they would attract players, and how they would attract sponsors and media. But what exactly was their plan in regards to the hype they were trying to raise? Win tournaments with their new plastic?

To be honest, they presented the started line and showed us what they envisioned the finish line to be like, but for the most part it appeared they were going to play everything else by ear. Who knows? Maybe after a full year or two of consistent victories where it was obvious the plastic made the difference...

SD appears to have laid out a clearer path. Their hype involves introducing discs in premium plastic that is not only awesome looking, superior grip, and top-notch durability, but also has a flight pattern that increases consistency and distance. Quite the hype to live up to, and something we have heard before, but part of the hype is that if there is anyone who can accomplish it, its this group of enthusiasts.

Would we consider MVP revolutionary? It really took them the introduction of the Axis before we could see that they were definitely moving the sport forward. The fact they have not banned MVP like The Wheel and the Turbo Putter shows that the PDGA likes the direction they are bringing the sport in.

What about Vibram?

The problem is, what about Legacy? They suffered from ill-timing of Prodigy's releases - as their business plan sounded similar to Prodigy, just on a smaller scale. So we have heard all this before, and we can talk all we want on these forums because apparently we are not able to get out and play today, but we will not truly know if SD is going to be successful until we give them a try and some time.

I don't really know what you mean when you say that Prodigy claimed that they would change the game. When I remember all of the speculation threads, I just remember a lot of hype about a new company with great plastic and lots of pros. That's what they turned out to be. Nothing game-changing, but they never claimed to be that in the first place (unless you read some PR hyperbole as fact).

Salient discs has a good bit of hype about their giant driver, precision, and shoes. As long as they can come through on those 3 things, I think they will have lived up to the hype. They won't change the game, but realistically, no company will do that anyway.

Latest posts