• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

This is not a flight path tested by inbounds, this is an inferred flight path based on data they supposedly gathered from Salient, Inbounds has not thrown the disc yet so to summarize, yes

Where else could they have gotten it before release?
They have told us they can afford to test everything and they have to trust the info from the manufacturers.

"Prometheus flight chart added! The Prometheus from Salient Discs is now available in the inFlight guide. The Prometheus is a LONG, straight, control driver with a unique design with both a large diameter and wide rim. Definitely worth a test drive."

Where else could they have gotten it before release?
They have told us they can afford to test everything and they have to trust the info from the manufacturers.

"Prometheus flight chart added! The Prometheus from Salient Discs is now available in the inFlight guide. The Prometheus is a LONG, straight, control driver with a unique design with both a large diameter and wide rim. Definitely worth a test drive."

The gather data on the disc before actually testing from the company since they can't get every single disc to all their testers they gather data from the company and develop a flight chart. This was explained earlier by inbounds

This is not a flight path tested by inbounds, this is an inferred flight path based on data they supposedly gathered from Salient, Inbounds has not thrown the disc yet so to summarize, yes

The gather data on the disc before actually testing from the company since they can't get every single disc to all their testers they gather data from the company and develop a flight chart. This was explained earlier by inbounds

OK. I see.

That said I am still hoping for consistency and lighter weights. We got all 188g in our order.
Not trolling at all.
"Just the facts, Ma'am." Dragnet

Last edited:
Let me say, these discs are all identical. Beautiful stamps no differences in done or anything. Plastic feels great. All in all I am very happy. Just surprised by the overstability. It will make the bag for sure.

So it sounds like Salient may need to change its marketing of the disc. It doesn't sound like it has the "fade of a midrange" or "allows players whom have had difficulty throwing fast-wide rim discs the ability to throw a distance driver more easily than ever before." If the marketing changes to "overstable control driver," and the discs all fly like that, then Salient still wins on the consistency front.

It's all about framing the advertising.

My 183g Bring Fire Stamped Prometheus arrived yesterday but I was only able to throw it a few times due to storm rolling through in the evening. The stamp looks fantastic. The disc is relatively flat the shape and feel of it reminds me of a larger Innova Vulcan. Here is a picture of the disc and a picture comparing the size of the Prometheus vs. the size of an Innova Vulcan that I pulled out of my bag.

As I said, I was only able to throw it 7-8 times and since a storm was rolling in I was throwing in 10-20 MPH winds so it's a less than idea environment to test a new disc. Below are my first impressions. Note: This should in no way be viewed as a review as 1) I didn't throw it enough, 2) the weather sucked, and 3) I'm not qualified to review a disc. :p

I'll start off with some background in how I normally throw distance drives. I tend to favor high speed discs.

RHBH – My distance drives are between 350-375 feet. In head winds I'll use a 175 Champion Boss or with no wind or tail winds I'll usually hyzer flip a 172 Champion Katana or 175 Legacy Rampage to get there. If I want a straight, controlled throw between 275 – 325 then I'm usually throwing my 1st run 175 Polaris LS or 168 Star Vulcan with more touch than power or if I have room for a bit of fade/skip at the end then I'm starting to like my Proton Volt.

RHFH – Backhand is my preferred throwing style but for open drives or longer dogleg right holes I'll usually throw a sidearm as I consistently get more distance out of it. My sidearm distance drives are between 375 – 425. In head winds I'll throw a 175 Champion Boss, no wind a new(ish) 175 Champion TeeDevil (my seasoned TeeDevil is too flippy to sidearm accurately) or Legacy Cannon, and with a tail wind I'll use my 172 Champion Katana. Other than long drives, I don't sidearm much unless it's a recovery shot where I don't have the room to anhyzer and don't have the overhead clearing to throw a tomahawk.

On to my throws with the Prometheus.

My first few throws are with a sidearm with the wind come from behind me some with a right to left crosswind. I honestly struggled to keep it down the first 3 throws which isn't normal for me as my RHFH throws are usually low and level. Not sure if it was due to the wind pushing my disc as I approached the throw (I tend to flip the disc up sideways a bit on my backswing and the wind was catching it) or if it's due to the wider rim effecting my grip. Between the wind and me floating it too much I didn't see much glide and I only got about 300 - 325 feet out of the drive. The flight characteristics were that of an overstable disc.

I was finally able to get the disc down on my last 2 sidearm throws. The cross wind was blowing strong at this time and pushed it over some making it turn a bit but it never rolled over. Because I threw it so low and level this time there wasn't much glide to speak of and it went just under 360 feet.

Note: Arrow shows wind, blue line distance measurements, orange very rough flight pattern.

The best drive of the backhand throws went for just under 410 and again handled the wind well, but it flew like a standard overstable disc for me.

I only did 3 RHBH throws and they were more into the wind with a bit of a cross wind going left to right. I didn't get much on the first 2 throws and because of that they started to fade quickly. Again, characteristics of an overstable high speed driver. The 3rd throw had a good rip out of the hands and took off nice and level. The headwind/cross wind pushed it slightly to the right and there was very little fade at the end as it flew for just under 350 feet. It handled the wind well once again, but again flew like an overstable disc.

So based on my first impressions in far less than ideal conditions, I would say that mine is an overstable driver that handled the conditions similar to a brand new Champion Boss. If I didn't rip it, it was starting to fade early and there wasn't much glide to it. If I ripped it then it held its line well but still didn't have much glide at the end. I'll try it again this Sunday at Wilco where I can get a lot of throws in to see how it handles on the course in better conditions.

Last edited:
nice info. must be a bit different than my 189.9g one.

agreed, the high weight prometheus isn't for me, it takes a lot of power to get it to fly like that in the higher weights. Right now I can flex it but that's it. I will definitely be getting a few high 170 low 180g prometheus.

This has been my experience with the prometheus thus far after a few field throws

wow this thing releases from the hand really clean, more stable than I thought it was going to be, you can really get some serious D flexing this disc. mine is marked 189g so it is heavy. It handles a headwind decently and doesn't have as hard a fade as I was expecting...seems to lack glide? could just be me, and yes it does fit in my bag but it sticks up lol.

I finally got mine in and WOW! The plastic feels amazing and my 185 is flying great!! I don't really care for the feel when throwing backhand, but I love this thing for a forehand shot. Great glide and great flight overall. I got it out to about 380 in 20mph winds on level ground, which is a solid drive for this noodle arm. This thing is going right in the bag

Hey guys I'm Scott with SD. I'm one of the owners and I design of the discs. I've never been on any forums or face book so this is all new to me! I wanted to field some questions and maybe give some insight as to what we are about as a company.*The delays for Prometheus was a weight issue and the fact that the machine broke mid run. We are sincerely sorry for the delays and it will not happen again, though we are finishing the first run still.(once again the machine.)As for quality control about 10% of the discs where test driven regularly while they came out of the cold molds. They all flew well. Also 75% of the discs had their parting line and the dome height measured to check consistency. If they failed they get discarded. The discs do fly consistently, the issue for some people will be the weight. The difference between the aqua and the blue is nothing shape wise, but there is a trend of weight difference. The aqua tend to be about 3-5 grams lighter. This will affect the flight of the discs because you can get more speed on the lighter ones obviously. The reason why the different color makes for different weight is the different flow rate of the molten plastic. It affects how much we have to pack the mold. The more we have to pack the mold the heavier the disc will be. When I test the discs they are thrown at the same linear and rotational velocities. Therefore the discs produce the same flight, which is unbiased to weight or how the disc feels. When people throw them I'm sure that the vast majority of the discs fly consistently when compared to one of similar weight. I am also confident that most people will throw discs of different weights differently.*People tend to have the ability to have a higher spin/air speed ratio with forehands then backhands. This is more evident in larger diameter and heavy weight discs. For example midranges.*We are working on getting the weight down into the 170s. This is part of the reason for the delay, but our machine going out messed with our sampling and we have not produced those weights consistently. We do know we can get the weight down but we have to get the process down. This process is like walking on the edge of a knife because our plastic has a very small processing window.The delay is inexcusable and is our responsibility. We did not get our materials when we where told and we had mechanical failures, but that doesn't change the fact that we didn't get our product out when we said we would. We got excited about seeing something we dreamed up, prototyped and loved. As a company we should have waited longer and held in the excitement. Though I'm sure you all can understand, it doesn't excuse it. Thank you for your support, encouragement, excitement and sometimes even your criticism. We as a company want to listen to our customers feed back and ideas even if it isn't always easy to hear. As long as its constructive I feel the responsibility to listen.*Who ever came up with Failient, thats funny. I'm going to bring that up at the next board meeting. Also do want a job coming up with names for us?*PS I found out my wife is pregnant with our third kid today! And sorry for any miss spelling and grammar, I do numbers:)

Hey guys I'm Scott with SD. I'm one of the owners and I design of the discs. I've never been on any forums or face book so this is all new to me! I wanted to field some questions and maybe give some insight as to what we are about as a company.*The delays for Prometheus was a weight issue and the fact that the machine broke mid run. We are sincerely sorry for the delays and it will not happen again, though we are finishing the first run still.(once again the machine.)As for quality control about 10% of the discs where test driven regularly while they came out of the cold molds. They all flew well. Also 75% of the discs had their parting line and the dome height measured to check consistency. If they failed they get discarded. The discs do fly consistently, the issue for some people will be the weight. The difference between the aqua and the blue is nothing shape wise, but there is a trend of weight difference. The aqua tend to be about 3-5 grams lighter. This will affect the flight of the discs because you can get more speed on the lighter ones obviously. The reason why the different color makes for different weight is the different flow rate of the molten plastic. It affects how much we have to pack the mold. The more we have to pack the mold the heavier the disc will be. When I test the discs they are thrown at the same linear and rotational velocities. Therefore the discs produce the same flight, which is unbiased to weight or how the disc feels. When people throw them I'm sure that the vast majority of the discs fly consistently when compared to one of similar weight. I am also confident that most people will throw discs of different weights differently.*People tend to have the ability to have a higher spin/air speed ratio with forehands then backhands. This is more evident in larger diameter and heavy weight discs. For example midranges.*We are working on getting the weight down into the 170s. This is part of the reason for the delay, but our machine going out messed with our sampling and we have not produced those weights consistently. We do know we can get the weight down but we have to get the process down. This process is like walking on the edge of a knife because our plastic has a very small processing window.The delay is inexcusable and is our responsibility. We did not get our materials when we where told and we had mechanical failures, but that doesn't change the fact that we didn't get our product out when we said we would. We got excited about seeing something we dreamed up, prototyped and loved. As a company we should have waited longer and held in the excitement. Though I'm sure you all can understand, it doesn't excuse it. Thank you for your support, encouragement, excitement and sometimes even your criticism. We as a company want to listen to our customers feed back and ideas even if it isn't always easy to hear. As long as its constructive I feel the responsibility to listen.*Who ever came up with Failient, thats funny. I'm going to bring that up at the next board meeting. Also do want a job coming up with names for us?*PS I found out my wife is pregnant with our third kid today! And sorry for any miss spelling and grammar, I do numbers:)

Lol, I just finished commenting about how I thought the heavier ones I received (ordered 30) were all much more opaque and turned out a hair darker than the lighter ones. Makes sense now. Thank you for taking the time to field these concerns and congratulations on the little one! I can't wait to see more from your company (especially some lighter discs since my main throwers are all 150 class) and wish you the best of luck in your ventures!