• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inverse Island Hole

Rucker61

Is there a name for a hole where the area immediately surrounding the basket is OB, necessitating making a long putt and where parking the approach would be OB?

I've actually thought about this....

Watching disc golf on ball golf holes, I often wondered if they could set a basket somewhere on the green, and still play the "greens are OB" rules. That'd definitely make you think your approach shot!

Hyzer Creek?

Hmmm... maybe... thought it was in New York...

1ff2f227.jpg

Last edited:
We accidentally had one like this when hole 1 at Oregon park flooded around the pin last year.

Probably not usually a valid design, but interesting.

Hole #1 at NE lions park in Norman,OK has flat boulders all around the base of the basket. My group play the boulders as OB, the only saving grace is if you touch grass that grows between the boulders you are safe.

Ha I did that one time for Sunday dubs.. I went nuts that week messing with the course, I even moved tee offs.

Easy downhill ace run.. did two circles, one about 6' diameter the other about 40, but I put it off center so if you were less than 10' short on the steep downhill you were more likely OB, if you ran it odds were good that you'd be in the other 30' OB behind.

I put the rotator in play too, I was one of two guys that didn't get Bird on that rotating basket. Haha

Always wondered about the inverse island hole and what to call it.

I very much enjoyed both brackets bluff and hyzer creek. My feeling is that private backyard courses are totally allowed some kitschy factor that I wouldn't let slide at a championship level course. Variety is the spice of life n@.

Anyone who wants to do this should consider making the area around the basket no-penalty OB (806.04 Relief Area). At close range, forcing a longer putt is enough punishment to create plenty of scoring separation.

The Spine private course in NC, has a hole that you toss to a basket in the center of a 20 ft pond. Drop zone on the edge. Owner graciously offers up floating disc to toss at it!!!

The pond is undergoing repairs at the Spine. Burt may have it up and going again by now though.

Latest posts