• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iron Hill!

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Been noticing a lot of chatter about Iron Hill. I have played it once, it was the most challenging course of the 68 I have played thus far. Many say this is the most difficult course in the nation. I think it is time she got her due. Seems a few noobs have destroyed her rating due to being overwhelmed. Just looking for feedback and thoughts on this beautiful beast of a course.

i noticed that there were some harsh reviews from people who really just sounded like they didn't like woodsy courses or anything that challenged them too much...sounds like an awesome course...i need to add it to my wish list...

I was hoping to play the IHC last weekend, but hit the snooze too many times. DOH!!! A buddy of mine played the tourney and said it takes a good balance of power and accuracy, otherwise the course will punish you and it did! I also talked to Swatso about the course and he said its an amazing course and be prepared as its the hardest course hes played. I can't wait to get there one of these days!

The IHC was awesome, one of the best tournaments I've played this year! Difficult from start to finish, a fantastic tourny course. Not to mention the DDG club did a great job hosting it. I hope those who were turned off by its length and difficulty and gave it a bad review will come back and give the short tees a go, which are marked on the gold tee signs and nearing completion. Its a shame some of the bad rep its been getting on here. Any one who hasn't played, come get some!

(Also, keep an eye out for Delaware's next BIG thing - Carousel Farm Park. There will be a beat test tourney there on 7/25 with temp baskets for anyone that wants to get a preview, give input and chip in for the basket fund. hmm.. maybe I'll start a new thread about that..)

I was the first one to review Iron Hill on this site. I liked it over all, but when I went they were far from finished - no signs, the map was wrong, and it was hard to get to the next tee. I am looking forward to going back and seeing all the updates. I have played some pretty tough courses and that was by far one of the toughest. The new French Creek course is quite similar to Iron Hill, so I would encourage people to play both. It seems Iron Hill will be more adaptable to varying skill levels. FC just has silver and gold baskets. Silver are much easier.

Past, Present and Future

To get a grip on the course, and some of the bashing, you'll need to know a little about it's past. The course was first proposed to the parks by Steve Winchester about 10 years ago and would have been a Par 3 type course. The park showed some interest but never really got behind us. In the mean time Fran Hoffman was having some success running tournaments in our State using some crazy designs on temporary courses in our county parks. After we installed Trap Pond I told Steve I really didn't want to get involved with a new course unless we were going to put in a real golf course. We have 7 par 3 courses in about a 20 mile radius and I felt they were getting redundant. Steve and Fran agreed.

Last March Steve got a phone call about Iron Hill and it was a go. They were even willing to let us pretty much put in a course the size we wanted. We only had one problem, they wanted it done for their grand reopening 3 months away. The work done in those 3 months was intense. The county spent around $40,000 on the course and we had volunteers going crazy. In June the course was open, ready or not. It was not ready for a PDGA event and it was not ready to be reviewed.

In the last year all the detail work began and this June we were ready for our first PDGA event. I felt the first steps were to get rid of the so called tweener holes, figure out pars, and design the layout for the second and third set of tees. As this was going on we ran doubles, tag rounds and a couple of pro/ams. By this spring we had begun to clear some of the holes most people found to cluttered. Tee signs for the gold tees with footages to two pins, elevation changes, blue and white tee pads and next tee directions were designed and installed. About half the blue and white tees have been installed.

The plan is for a par 72 for all skill levels playing from the appropriate tees. Two holes will be lengthened taking the long layout from a par 70 to a par 72. In the next year we should have all the blue and white tees installed with tee signs for all three sets of tees.

If you haven't been to Iron Hill in the past month, please come out and see all the changes, from new tee signs to a 13 step granite stairway to the basket on 17.

Last edited:
Interesting background and history there. Delaware does seem to have plenty of solid but not spectacular par 54 courses....outside brandywine of course! I also have to agree that french Creek has that long get me out of these damn woods type feel that Iron Hill has though not quite as much elevation and a bit more relaxed on the back 6. I find those 2 courses to be the most wooded long challenges out there. Mid Atlantic really has amazing courses within a small radius.

Just played Iron Hill for the first time today, and wow I wish I could play it everyday. The course is in great shape and is one of my favorite courses now! I will be back for revenge from my 89 from the Pro tees to all long pins except one hole. How is hole 17 a par 5? I was happy with an 8 and my buddy took a 10 on it. I can't image many birdies and forget about an eagle on it.

Never been there, but I looked at the pics, and I would love to play that course. Looks quite challenging.

Looks alot like the new 18 they just put in at Jack Brooks park in Hitchcock,TX

if you want to look it up its called "Jack Brooks #2" and is now one of the most challenging courses in the Houston area.

I'm with Midnight, looked at the pics and makes me want to go play there. I'll agree with OP, it seems the not-so-good players are giving it a bad rap; and I think the one guy only likes flat, open, short courses. Another quote from him on another course is:

Cons: The only con is hole 6, i don't like water coming into play, or steep slopes.

maybe there should be a warning sign at the start of the course for noobs.

How is hole 17 a par 5? I was happy with an 8 and my buddy took a 10 on it. I can't image many birdies and forget about an eagle on it.

Haha, I hear ya. I took a 5 on it once and was ecstatic. Sure felt like a birdie. I've heard rumors of 4s on 17 but have never seen it done. Glad to hear you enjoyed the course.

I'm with Midnight, looked at the pics and makes me want to go play there. I'll agree with OP, it seems the not-so-good players are giving it a bad rap; and I think the one guy only likes flat, open, short courses. Another quote from him on another course is:

maybe there should be a warning sign at the start of the course for noobs.

My home course is like that. Very wooded and not for beginers. Here is a link:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1746

If you like a challenge, then you'll love Iron Hill! The pictures don't even show much, most of the holes play up or down 40' elevation changes and avg distance of 577' through heavy, heavy woods. There were many times that I wanted to throw a roller, but between the huge rocks and trees laying across the course its not an option most the time. Theres only a couple holes to break out a driver and really rip one, but not really cause there are still gaps you have to hit on those. Hole 17 is ridiculous at 860' uphill and the basket is elevated 15' or so and surrounded by trees.

This is my home course although I don't get there as much as I would like. I started playing it last summer when it was really raw and I was a brand new DGer, needless to say it was not a good fit. It however, refined me in its fire (Iron...fire) and now I really enjoy it. I have been out of the area and have not played it in a couple of months. As soon as I get back and see the improvements for myself I will update my review. This course definitely has a different feel than the other courses in the area, the volunteers and creators of this course did a great job, my hat is off to them.

After playing in the IHC, I am looking forward to having time to update my review. The course is definitely up to deserving at least a 4.0 rating. Probably a 4.5... And if all the three tees, signs, and dual baskets make it, I think it will unquestionably deserve a 5.0 as one of the best courses in the country. I fell in love with this place...

As for the par on hole 17, I think par 5 is accurate. It's just a really hard par 5. The first time through, I missed a birdie-4 by less than a foot -- chain high, just a little right of the basket. But that was putting from ~100' away, and with three good shots before the long putt. That time, I took a drop in 5. Second round through, I had a couple of mediocre shots and awful kicks and missed a 25' come-back putt to end up with a bogey-6. Which I deserved after missing that short putt. I think if a bunch of 1000-rated players played 17 from the pro tees, the average scores would work out to be more than 5, but closer to 5 than 6. Definitely a lot more bogeys than birdies -- but it isn't unrealistic to expect true pros to take a 5... Though without question, it's one of the hardest holes I've ever played. And boy is it an awesome hole. So is hole 5.

I am pretty much drooling over the chance to get back out there soon. Totally worth the 2 hour drive each way.

The worst part about Iron Hill is that it spoils you for par-3 courses. I haven't played a single disc golf hole since the IHC, and I've hardly wanted to, because I know that most of the places I can get out to are hardly going to feel like real disc golf after getting to play Iron Hill. Iron Hill will give most other courses an inferiority complex. It's almost like a different sport.

I agree, most courses will seem so much easier and mundane after playing Iron Hill. I'm still looking forward to the MAAC at Seneca Creek in a few weeks though. I need to get some revenge on Seneca from the Soiree a month ago. Been practicing my rollers! Although I lost my Sidewinder Friday at Codorus rolling down 8x from the Pro tee. It was a good shot and was stoked cause it should have been an easy 3, but I couldn't find my disc when I got down there. DOH!!!