• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is 36 down okay? What should par be?

Yeah, I've thought about that after the USDGC did something similar one year (but not as severe).

Like many other "solutions", it would be a cure worse than the disease, and certainly unpalatable for general play.

Not to mention all the seventy two-way ties for CTP prizes.

I don't think there's any doubt that disc golf could be more refined. The doubt is whether disc golf needs to be more refined. Know what I mean? :p

I agree with this ^^^

In my opinion, Disc golf is an outlier sport and will probably always remain so. It will have it's growing pains, but it's not golf and I think it would be far better for the sport if people stopped trying to make the comparison.

I don't think disc golf is easy because a hand full of folks can shoot a 30 under in a 4 day tournament because I know on my best days, I probably couldn't shoot par on some of these courses.

You don't need to have a problem to be able to make a refinement.

True, but this thread started by asking if there is a problem. A specific problem, at that.

If there's not a problem, and we're just refining and improving, then we have to weigh whether the benefits are worth the trouble. You'd say they are. I'd agree. But a lot of folks don't.

You don't need to have a problem to be able to make a refinement.

D.O.T.S. --- Depends On The Situation. And in this case, the situation is the "problem" of trying to make disc golf more appealing for television/video viewers, disguised as a discussion of the fundamental game of disc golf itself... which doesn't really need 'fixing' nor 'refining'.

And good solutions like making part of the tournament be on a wooded/technical course (or a course that has some of both open and technical) are rejected because of the (IMHO specious) complaint that wooded courses cannot be filmed well nor easily, which shows that the thread really is about videography, not DG fundamentals.

But hey! keep hashing it ad infinitum if you (plural) like... 'par 2' will never be seen as anything but a joke (and make the game look like a joke), and too many big tournaments on only-open courses will bore people to death as well as create the low scores that cause us to question the toughness, and therefore the seriousness, of the course. But don't let that stop the debate from going on forever...

True, but this thread started by asking if there is a problem. A specific problem, at that.

If there's not a problem, and we're just refining and improving, then we have to weigh whether the benefits are worth the trouble. You'd say they are. I'd agree. But a lot of folks don't.

Refinement needed? Absolutely. But, rather than changing how par is assigned (easy for major tournaments, impractical much beyond that) or the size of the target (do we really want major tournaments to have different targets than casual play?), let's refine the standards for courses used for these tournaments so that they provide the proper challenge for the top players. Sure, there may be some holes that are a par 4 for casual play that become a par 3 for the pros, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I think a lot of progress has been made on this refinement based on the tournaments I've watched online, but there's always room for further improvement.

Also, for tournaments in this top tier (however many this may be), limit the divisions to Open men & women. Build a little more of a live viewer base by not having a bunch of the local disc golf fans playing at the same time as the touring pros.

Refinement needed? Absolutely. But, rather than changing how par is assigned (easy for major tournaments, impractical much beyond that) or the size of the target (do we really want major tournaments to have different targets than casual play?), let's refine the standards for courses used for these tournaments so that they provide the proper challenge for the top players. Sure, there may be some holes that are a par 4 for casual play that become a par 3 for the pros, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I think a lot of progress has been made on this refinement based on the tournaments I've watched online, but there's always room for further improvement.

Also, for tournaments in this top tier (however many this may be), limit the divisions to Open men & women. Build a little more of a live viewer base by not having a bunch of the local disc golf fans playing at the same time as the touring pros.

There's no need for "rather than".

And I agree on the progress - both in using more appropriate courses and in setting par. I think next year you'll see enough tournaments with the right sized courses and good enough par, so that we reach a "tipping point" where players start to accept that par doesn't always need to be a random number anywhere from 0 to 9 throws higher than what the players are scoring.

Maybe Trump can make disc golf great again where the contentious par debate is finally resolved.

(eh, probably will remain at 269 to 269 in the DGCR College)

Maybe Trump can make disc golf great again where the contentious par debate is finally resolved.

(eh, probably will remain at 269 to 269 in the DGCR College)

No, disc golf was always great. I have three charts, two graphs, and eight polls that prove it.

At Harry Myers during the Nick Hyde Memorial, the winning score was 13 under both rounds. Shooting even par would have knocked you ought of contention for any prize after the first 13 holes. The round ratings of even par rounds were 956 and 958. Here's how the scores tracked against Official par. There is a lot of drift.

attachment.php

If Gold par had been used, the winning score would have been 7 under both rounds. This course wasn't quite long enough to get to Steve Dodges allowable maximum of nine under. Even par would have cashed in a 4-way tie for 28th place. Here's how the scores would have tracked. It would have been much easier for players and spectators to know how well players were doing, because no matter how many holes had been played, even par would have been a good score.

attachment.php

As a side note, the equivalent of Gold par for FPO just happened to be equal to the pars used for this tournament.

Attachments

• NHTracCoursePar.jpg
    NHTracCoursePar.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 120
  • NHTrackgoldPar.jpg
    NHTrackgoldPar.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 120
The issue is putting is just too easy.

If pro golfers played on larger holes - the equivalent to what a disc to a basket is - they would shoot the same thing b/c all they would have to do is basically hit a green in regulation and they would birdie - exactly what happens in disc golf.

The issue is putting is just too easy.

If pro golfers played on larger holes - the equivalent to what a disc to a basket is - they would shoot the same thing b/c all they would have to do is basically hit a green in regulation and they would birdie - exactly what happens in disc golf.

Wasn't there a winner? The melt over par is getting old.

I'm not advocating for change to baskets or saying that our scores are a problem. I'm saying that the reason the scores are so low is because of putting being too easy.

But I don't support a change to it. There's a difference between identifying an issue and saying whether said issue should be addressed.

Latest posts