• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is a disc the equivalent of a ball or the club?

Is a disc equivalent to a ball or a club?

• Ball

Votes: 41 29.5%
  • Club

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • Apples and Oranges

Votes: 55 39.6%

• Total voters
G.M.Burns: "Quit dilly dallyin around over there Simpson and just use an open face club, a Sand WEDGE!"

Homer: "MMMmmmm, open faced club sandwich"

This argument is a rather bizzare way to try to equate our sport to an utterly irrelevant sport, which happens to share a name. Same as baseball and bat. A more accurate comparison would be the motorcycle or the experience of the ride. One is intangible but would not exist but for the other .
That said, I dont put info on my discs. If I lose one, I suck.
I have returned discs.
I've also had this discussion after my (unemployed) brother found a disc on the path. He kept it, I dont think he's a Douche, any more than any random kid finding a tennis ball at a park. His call.
Sit by a skate park and watch how many folks break boards trying to hit their perfect run. Their gear costs more! They dont care.
I think it's funny how many folks took umbrage to disc golf being called a 'hippy' sport, where folks burn and drink beer, then in the next breath bemoan their discs not being returned free of charge. Just 'cause I do doesnt mean you should 'expect' it.
What are we? In 4th grade? Seriously!

A new rule in golf: If the ball lands in the water the golfer must throw the club in after it, in that way the club becomes a frizbee(disc). Losing just the ball is too easy. Must toughen up the game. Getting your ass kicked by the course seems to be the ultimate complement. Getting my ass kicked by the rules- priceless! Long live the yellow rope and buncrs. Sorry just kidding.

mrt%20pity%20this%20thread.jpg

Here is a quote from the Yellowstone disc golf page I found in another thread and thought I would add it to the argument. I want to change my vote to the disc being the ball and the club.

http://www.ycerp.org/disc_golf.php

"The sport involves mapped courses with 18 "holes," similar to golf, and the discs vary in design much like golf clubs for specific purposes and distance."

Food for thought:

1. An economy golf disc costs more than a premium golf ball.

2. An economy golf club costs more than premium golf disc.

This argument is a rather bizzare way to try to equate our sport to an utterly irrelevant sport, which happens to share a name. Same as baseball and bat. A more accurate comparison would be the motorcycle or the experience of the ride. One is intangible but would not exist but for the other .
That said, I dont put info on my discs. If I lose one, I suck.
I have returned discs.
I've also had this discussion after my (unemployed) brother found a disc on the path. He kept it, I dont think he's a Douche, any more than any random kid finding a tennis ball at a park. His call.
Sit by a skate park and watch how many folks break boards trying to hit their perfect run. Their gear costs more! They dont care.
I think it's funny how many folks took umbrage to disc golf being called a 'hippy' sport, where folks burn and drink beer, then in the next breath bemoan their discs not being returned free of charge. Just 'cause I do doesnt mean you should 'expect' it.
What are we? In 4th grade? Seriously!

Are you angry at someone about something?

I say club. a ball is a ball if you are putting or driving. you have to pull out a seperate club for distance.
I agree with KPC2004

"Are you angry at someone about something? "

Yes. I'm always angry. All the time. Even when i'm asleep.
No wait, that's flatulent. Sorry.

You cant compare a disc to a golf ball man, its like comparing a diamond to a piece of monkey poop. Ball golfings for old farts in pink sweaters!!

So true, but you don't let go of the club

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

So many other things to comment on in this stupid thread.
Club- I play a lot of card games, so Clubs comes to mind first for me.
Zenbot- Is that pic of Mr. T signed? Lucky man.
Bolf- love the repeated use! That should annoy some people.
Answer- Neither/Both, however, when I answer the common question "Why do you have so many Frisbees?" I reply with a parallel to golf that you use different discs for different shots like you would use different clubs.

Club.

You can throw your putter as hard as you want, but it will only go so far.
You can hit a 7 iron as hard as you want, but it too will only go so far.

Try to play a short disc golf course with only a destroyer...see how well you do. Try to play any ball course with just a 1 wood...see how well you do.

The "arm" can only make up for so much. There are less differences in what a "ball" can do than what a "disc" can do.

As far as the disc being the object that finishes the hole...yeah it would be similar to the ball.

Last edited:
LOL for something that started as just hypothetical banter, there seems to be a lot to discuss about this.

The disc is BOTH!

That's why our sport is so great, we incorporate concepts of club (distances) and ball (variants on technology such as plastic type, domey/flat, weight, etc) all into one item.

Latest posts