• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is concrete overrated: Poll

Are concrete tees overrated?

• yes

Votes: 67 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 213 76.1%

• Total voters
A big plus. Grass tees get docked.

Bottom line is if I can throw off any surface - given that if each different surface is perfect, I rather play on concrete.

i don't mind dirt tees but they never stay maintained. i can't think of a course i've played where there are dirt tees in perfect condition. they will eventually get rutted if not fervently maintained. and with the cost of bringing in new dirt and the effort that goes in to maintaining them, the cost ratio is probably not that out of balance in the long run compared to concrete.

and concrete is not forever. you could remove it if necessary. sure, it's a pain in the a$$ but you could remove it.
a better option would be to just leave it as a rec/beginner tee and put another one where you'd like the new pro tee to be. nothing wrong with having an extra tee as an option.

Good and Bad

The best thing about concrete is it lasts forever with no maintenance and is consistent from one tee to the next.
The worst thing about concrete is it also lasts forever. If the course changes it can be expensive. And my right shoe would really like the toe area back. lol
Concrete is one of those love/hate kinda deals.

Lets compare the options:

Grass . . . will not stand up to lots of use because of the compaction (just look around all teeboxes)

Gravel . . . will rut and move around and eventually erode away creating uneven surface

Rubber . . . when installed correctly will still need maintenance to level the gravel or whatever surface is underneath them. They also will rip because of repeated settling and raising due to the freeze/thaw cycles of the earth. I have also seen them deteriorate from sunlight to the point where they actually rot away or start flaking away from where they are attached to a frame.

Mulch . . . softer on the knees than any other surface because it has some give but will become very inconsistant and need replenishing on a yearly basis and also leveling and/or compacting on a monthly basis under heavy usage.

Asphalt . . . a cheaper alternative to concrete, but can be very slick in rainy weather compared to a properly roughed concrete teepad. Will also chip away eventually because of freeze/thaw cycles.

Concrete . . . needs no maintenance, can be shovelled in winter to leave you with a nice safe planting surface.

Some may not like concrete because of their knees (and I understand it, I just don't agree it is a reason to not have concrete) and the hard surface, but they are clearly the most consistant and most sustainable surface requiring the least amount of labor/expense long term. Sure they cost a fair amount of money up front but in the end if the parks department had to send someone out monthly to keep mulch in place or to reseed dead grassy areas it would cost way more than the $200 (and I really have no idea what the cost of one teepad would be) that the concrete pad might cost up front.

Does that help anyone make a decision?

I've often wondered if strategically placed strips of skateboard grip tape to less-than-ideal teeing surfaces would add any benefit, or if the friction would be too great and non-conducive to the required turning of the plant foot on the release and follow-through.

Working and walking on concrete floors 8 hours a day sucks. My knees aren't the best. But concrete tees are great if installed properly. I just have to be careful with the concrete tees that have the 2-3 inch dropoff and the puddle at the end of the tee from follow-throughs. I don't need to screw up my knee. Besides that, I don't see a lot of drawbacks.

Players perspective...concrete is ok
Maintenance wise...concrete is ok
Long Term designers POV...it sucks your stuck with it forever unless you hire Harr and pay him I suppose and numerous tees evrywhere would become an eyesore if you ask me

My personal bias towards them is my justification. That way you can not refute what I say. I am always right when I disguise my opinion as fact.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially because so many are too short, too narrow, and not flush (or eroded with a puddle in front).

Not to mention the wear and tear on your ankle, knee, and hip from planting your leading foot on a har surface with absolutely no give!

It detracts some from a natural setting in a beautiful park.

My personal bias towards them is my justification. That way you can not refute what I say. I am always right when I disguise my opinion as fact.

Opinions are fine....hearing others thoughts makes for learning opportunities....arguing for the sake of arguing is not discussion and therefore doesn't work well in the Discussion Format. If there was an argue for the sake of argue board I'd imagine it would be ok there.

I like concrete the best, however somebody mentioned the ball golf greens grass, and I really like that too :) Allows for a basically infinite run up, you know, if your into that kinda thing.

HELL YES! I like concrete teepads but would much rather have a good dirt

I like concrete the best, however somebody mentioned the ball golf greens grass, and I really like that too :) Allows for a basically infinite run up, you know, if your into that kinda thing.

I've seen someone do a 720 spin throw from a concrete pad starting from the grass. You ALWAYS have an infinite runup, unless you're in a thick woods :D

I've seen someone do a 720 spin throw from a concrete pad starting from the grass. You ALWAYS have an infinite runup, unless you're in a thick woods :D

LOL I love when people do that! Although I've only witnessed the 360 myself...did he get a triple S turn out of that throw....threadjack over.

Latest posts