• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is DG your #1 passion?

I used to practice kendo, brew beer, collect euro board games, I started a petanque club, and was a pretty good luthier if I may say so...but **** all that ****.
It was eating into disc golf time.

I don't know if I ever have a true #1 passion, I just enjoy too many things. I do love disc golf, but I also love fishing, lifting, and gaming. It rotates all the time. Right now I'm much more into lifting and gaming, since it's winter and I can't golf during the week. In the summer, at least since I moved to Wisconsin, I do a lot more golfing and fishing.

In the long term, all of those things are great for me and my physical/mental health, so I like to spread out time between them all.

tl;dr - no, disc golf is not (always) my #1 passion.

Last edited:
I guess for me it fluctuates. About 12-to-13 years ago disc golf was all I did. Then I quit cold turkey for about five years. I got back into playing, but I am so bad at it I just like to go in the mornings so I can throw alone and let my dog run without worrying of other people being there.

I am more into promoting the game, building courses, helping new people find it than I am in playing it competitively. Don't get me wrong, I play at least a partial round almost every day year round. I actually like to have rounds to myself compared to playing in a group. It is so peaceful, especially in the winter months.

I bounce back and forth between disc golf, history and watching/playing team sports.

If we're talking about passion- water polo. But that's a lot more involved and not something I can just do on my own with a free afternoon. So disc golf tends to be my most often played rec activity.

In my younger years my main interests were motorcycles and shooting sports. About 5 years ago I played disc golf for the first time and it has been my primary interest from that point on. I'm in my early 70's now and never know how long I will be able to keep playing but I'm going to hang in there and do it as long as I can. I love it!

1. Hiking/Trailrunning
2. Baking Bread/Brewing Beer
3. Disc Golf

Gardening used to be on this list, but California :\

Broomball
Woodworking
House
Disc Golf

Five years ago, I don't think you could've convinced me that I wouldn't choose to throw whenever I had a free minute, but it's happened. I do try to putt a couple times a week minimum in the back yard, but the miter saw is usually calling my name.

That's what's great about it, it can be your passion while giving you time for other activities. During the work week I'll bang out 2 or 3 rounds on my lunch hour and often one morning round on the weekends. Plenty of time left for the ladies, my nightclub, my tequila company, etc.

DG near top of the pastime / hobby list.

The great thing about DG me is that I can play anytime and tons of options for playmates. Easy to drop in and out. It is always there. I am not quite committed to give a slecific day each week to points league, I am a drop-in for those. Casual weeklies, minis and occasional mostly benefit and non-sanctioned tourneys more my style for broader competition.

DG goes well with my baseball fandom as I can listen and love mlb radio.
DG easily gets bumped for time sensitive for my help or my own construction, wood shop and home improvement/ maintenance projects.
Women currently a Necessity and have bumped at least 4 rounds in the last three weeks. (DAting and maybe trying to find a good one)

Last edited:
It was when I lived in the Dallas Texas suburbs. It was honestly the only outdoor activity I did with any regularity. I'm so much happier now that I live in the mountains and have added Snowboarding in the winter and Mountain Biking in the summer. The mountain biking as well as having two young boys to ride with has rekindled my love of BMX and I spent many evenings after school at the skatepark with my kids. Went downhill biking on closing weekend at Angelfire and that was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. I'm lucky enough to call Wolf Creek my home mountain and it boast (on average per year) the most snow in Colorado, no doubt that snowboarding on a deep powder day is the greatest experience of my life (as far as hobbies go).
All that said, I love disc golf and it is my go-to social activity.

One of my favorite aspects of the sport is discovering courses while traveling. About 10 minutes from my parents' house in Connecticut is one of the best courses I've played yet, a patch of old hardwood forest in a city park that was underused. Expertly designed and challenging course that now has a busy league & tournament scene that has developed in just the last decade.

I've taken road trips around the south just to play new courses, and I've sought out courses to check out when traveling for concerts, visiting friends & family, etc. I've played in 11 states in 3.5 years of playing, and looking forward to knocking out a bunch more. There is so much uniqueness to disc golf courses compared to ball golf, the variety of terrain from flat to hilly, surroundings from beach to prairie to mountains, long, short, open, wooded...each set of baskets reflects the place you're visiting. And everyone you encounter is cool as hell.

I wish it was. There is just not a ton of disc golf where i am at currently and so I have to be fairly self motivated to get to the 2 semi maintained object courses or the one very average 6 basket course in the city I'm living in. It saddens me a bit as disc golf has filled that void for a competitive itch and desire to practice and improve at something that was left after 3 knee surgeries took me out of amateur competitive soccer after competing my whole life.
As it stands disc golf probably rotates through various positions between 4 hobbies currently at....
1. Table top board games, got a hold of a copy of Gloomhaven and have been sinking 6-8 hours a weekend into that monstrosity.
2. Premier League soccer watching, this fluctuates depending on how Liverpool are doing.
3. Disc golf.
4. Cycling... cause it is a great way to drop the pounds and it's always warm enough here.

It used to be playing hockey until I tore my ACL. Also I got tired of 10:30 Tue/Thu games. So I guess Disc Golf is my #1 physical activity. But I still go to Penguin games (season ticket holder) and watch a lot of Premier League on TV. (Lets Go Blues).

Disc golf also helps with another hobby, traveling. I've been to a lot of places I never would have gained if not for a disc golf course being in the area.

It used to be playing hockey until I tore my ACL. Also I got tired of 10:30 Tue/Thu games. So I guess Disc Golf is my #1 physical activity. But I still go to Penguin games (season ticket holder) and watch a lot of Premier League on TV. (Lets Go Blues).

Disc golf also helps with another hobby, traveling. I've been to a lot of places I never would have gained if not for a disc golf course being in the area.

The nice is directed more towards the being a major hockey fan and the LGB. I tore my ACL in 2006. Hasn't hampered me since, but it was a heck of an injury to recover from.

Latest posts