• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is Disc Golf Really "Exploding"?

jhgonzo

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Anyone who has played the game seriously for more than a few months has probably heard it: "Disc golf is...the fastest-growing sport in the world/exploding in popularity/experiencing record growth!" We hear it from not only the PDGA, but from locals who've been playing for years, as well as our regional clubs and message boards/forums. But is it really blowing up the way we think it is?

Up until today I hadn't used Google Insights, but figured I'd look into this claim of DG being such a fast-growing sport by verifying it against Google searches (note: you'll need a Google account to view the Insights pages)...and I realize that my data-searching methods are VERY general, which is half the reason for this post; I want to encourage those stat-nerds and number-geeks to show me otherwise!

So, using Insights, I checked the trend of searches for "disc golf" (U.S. only) from May 2004 (the earliest year you can go back) until May 2012 (to keep the years even), and saw no distinct increase in searches over that time; in fact, there is an annual spike upward between May-July, which would be expected with a lot of states in temperate climates. What I found was slightly surprising: No clear upward swing in Google searches for "disc golf"; in fact, a pretty obvious trend of bell-curve-like interest with the maximums at the aforementioned summertime peaks.

What interested me further was at the bottom of the Insights results page, where "Rising Searches" are broken down and DO indeed show some explosion (specific searches for "disc golf bag," "disc golf courses," and "disc golf review," for example), with many of these search terms classified as "Breakout" (i.e. more than 5000% increase) searches.

I should note that expanding the Insights for the same time period, but for worldwide, shows interest declining since 2004! And if I narrow it to JUST WISCONSIN, the trend of interest remains pretty unchanged from the national U.S. graph.

So, what am I missing here? Are we disc golfers just victims of our own confirmation bias wherein we intentionally surround ourselves with enough of the subculture that we come to believe it's really exploding (where in reality we are simply seeking out more people/places that are DG friendly and confirming our own suppositions)? Is it really that DG is experiencing greater growth in technology and course installation, but the population actually participating is remaining constant (a la Malthusian principles, where X players are "born" into the sport each year but Y players "die" [i.e. lose interest; only play once and never again], or the notion that there is only "so much room" for disc golf and we probably have reached the pinnacle)?

I am one that definitely believes that DG is growing as evidenced by the sheer number of new courses in the last decade, as well as new startup companies and players! I'd just like to see if someone with real insight into a feature like Insights can show where I'm wrong!

For comparison, I looked at DG vs. Roller Derby over the same period of time (I had posted this speculation on Facebook and was prompted to look into the DG v. Derby issue from one of my female friends who plays DG and participates in roller derby), and roller derby has experienced a much more measurable upswing in popularity based on the Insights graphs (though it is important to note that the biggest spike in interest correlates with the release of the roller derby flick starring the adorable Ellen Page, Whip It, whereas DG has yet to receive an entire Hollywood film dedicated to its subculture; Chains doesn't count!)

Can/did you also search "frisbee golf"? Wondering if the search results would be similar.

I think a biggest part of the 'explosion' is by super duper casual players, i.e. Chuckers, who will never ever google anything about disc golf.

Im sure its growing very fast. The sheer number of players on my home course suggests that. Far more people on the course now then the same time last year. My friend and I even recently started a disc golf shop in town and its doing well due to the influx of newer players.

I think a biggest part of the 'explosion' is by super duper casual players, i.e. Chuckers, who will never ever google anything about disc golf.

This. One disc wonders, and their buddies who will show up, and refuse to let you pass, and always throw into the woods, and take 20 minutes to find ONE of the people in their groups disc.

Don't know if the "fastest growing" claim can be validated, but----

Disc golf clearly has impressive growth by most measurable standards. Number of courses, number of tournaments, number of tournament participants, merchandise sales, presence of merchandise in mainstream stores.....

I think the actual existence is a better measure of growth than google searches.

The interesting question would be why searches have not kept pace.

The time lapse map that shows the changes in searches is pretty cool. It was interesting to see what regions and states had the most searches. N. Carolina, Oregon, Minnesota, and Wisconsin all had very high searches. Makes sense considering the number and quality of the courses.

I guess I'm just seeing more of a plateau than anything, albeit a plateau where brick-and-mortar DG vendors stand a slightly better chance than they did previously due to constant clientele, and an environment more conducive to start-up DG companies where players have become more receptive to trying new equipment...I DO recall the time when the explosion was evident (that is, prior to the Google data I've linked), but I keep hearing the same claims of record growth year after year, and I think we maxed out a while ago!

Does this "influx" correlate to the annual trend in interest from May-July, or has it been a constant measurable uptick? I'm not questioning any vendor's success here, so please don't take my speculation on the validity of "explosive growth" in our sport as a knock on any record profits you may be experiencing! Perhaps the market is just saturated enough with people willing to keep buying new stuff they don't necessarily need?

I agree that the number of courses continues to grow at astounding rates, especially here in Wisconsin!

And I'm with you guys on being actual witnesses of the sport's growth...and the "Breakout" search terms definitely show a HUGE increase in interest in very specific DG-related terms, so even if the numbers of participants aren't increasing exponentially, the players are certainly better informed and have easier access to DG information!

Lets just hope it isn't exploding because there are already way too many chuckers on the course...

Does this "influx" correlate to the annual trend in interest from May-July, or has it been a constant measurable uptick?
We just opened up this monday lol. But yes, i assume our steady sales are due to the fair weather golfers and newer players. I do expect a drop come november or so. Not everyone is inclined to play in the Oregon sunshine (rain).

I just want to throw it out there, but of all the sports I have played I think disc golfers are the least technologically inclined. Obviously not anybody here, but I am surprised by how many people on the course do not know of ANY others. Based on this it would be hard for me to use google as a gauge for disc golfs popularity.

most older places have basketball courts , tennis , baseball fields already. the only new thing most places are adding is dg courses

try to think of a game created in the last 50 years or so that is as poplular as dg

most established games have been around like 200 years , and hiking, jogging ,skateboarding,mma, arent really sports

There's definitely some confirmation bias. Was in a store this week, and one of the long-time veterans was explaining the sport to a newbie. He tossed out the "Fastest growing sport" line without a hint of a smile (though I had to work pretty hard to keep from losing it).

As long as the number of courses keeps increasing, the sport will keep growing. So far, so good. Courses are cheap to put in, and relatively low cost to maintain (vice soccer or baseball fields), so parks departments see real value.

One thing to keep in mind is that when we start playing we will google 'disc golf', after that you know the sites to go to (ala this site) , or you are googling specific terms. So people googling that term consistantly shows constant growth.

I just want to throw it out there, but of all the sports I have played I think disc golfers are the least technologically inclined. Obviously not anybody here, but I am surprised by how many people on the course do not know of ANY others. Based on this it would be hard for me to use google as a gauge for disc golfs popularity.

Quite interesting that on our site 'Internet explorer' only comes 3rd out of desktop browsers, (Safari just behind in 4th).. shows me the guys are actually pretty tech savvy, but different market perhaps (we are still very small here in SA)