• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is Infinite the new Discmania

Horsman

Pandamonium Discs
Gold level trusted reviewer
Lately it seems like Discmania has not been able to get their Original molds in stock to appease the masses while Infinite keeps pumping out the Innova molds. With this it also seems like Discmania is now becoming Dynamic Discs Lite with all the Swedish plastic they are releasing. Thumbs up for Infinite, thumbs down for Discmania, imo.

Infinite use moving some serious volume, so I wonder how much pull that nets them? Probably a lot.

I agree that Discmania should have gotten some machines of their own. The fact that they are not only beholden to other manufacturers, but in the case with Innova they use many of their mold pieces, so they couldn't even buy those molds.

I do like some of the active and Evo discs, but there are many discs that they will not easily replace from their originals collection.

Discmania's screwed because their original lineup is all Innova mold pieces. Even if they bought their own equipment, Innova's unlikely to share their files to allow them to have new molds cut.

It would've definitely been better for them moving forward though. Agreed on that one.

Lately it seems like Discmania has not been able to get their Original molds in stock to appease the masses while Infinite keeps pumping out the Innova molds. With this it also seems like Discmania is now becoming Dynamic Discs Lite with all the Swedish plastic they are releasing. Thumbs up for Infinite, thumbs down for Discmania, imo.

Yes and no. There's nothing wrong with L64 plastic, IMO. But Discmania should consider owning production equipment to stay alive.

Flip side, is Infinite has great molds too. And now they're in Innova's pocket. Infinite will need to keep the 2nd fiddle mentality where Dismania did not.

I was expecting DM's move from Cali to Colorado to involve them molding their own stuff.

Still some type of collaboration with Innova, but DM just having the equipment in house to produce their discs on their own schedule. Still Innova plastic and molds, just produced at a different location effectively. There are probably business reasons why something like that didn't happen, but we'll more than likely never know.

I could see Infinite's lineup really picking up given the availability issues with the DM Originals. And if Innova owns those mold pieces the only thing Discmania about them is the hot stamp...so if that business relationship were to change those molds could be recycled.

Dynamic was identical to Infinite at one point, a retailer who carried pretty much everybody. Eventually they dropped everybody else, any idea if that was by choice or a stipulation to getting their own line of discs?

I just want to know which molds to expect them to continue putting out... Am I going to need to scrap the MD3 and go back to throwing a Buzzz? What about CD3? Back to Wraiths? Actually Krait looks closer to the CD3... Hmm... I've already scrapped the FD2 and purchased a few Teebirds to pick up the slack. What about the FD3? FD? I've been really pleased with the FD as a better version of the Leopard...

I just want to know which molds to expect them to continue putting out... Am I going to need to scrap the MD3 and go back to throwing a Buzzz? What about CD3? Back to Wraiths? Actually Krait looks closer to the CD3... Hmm... I've already scrapped the FD2 and purchased a few Teebirds to pick up the slack. What about the FD3? FD? I've been really pleased with the FD as a better version of the Leopard...

A Leopard3 is a beat in FD. They feel and look identical in hand. I threw my beat in FD3 into a pond,, but I have a spare. I'll probably switch to the Felon or Raptor at some point.

A Leopard3 is a beat in FD. They feel and look identical in hand. I threw my beat in FD3 into a pond,, but I have a spare. I'll probably switch to the Felon or Raptor at some point.
Less glide, and eventually a Leopard3 becomes a beat in Leopard3. I like the extra HSS.

I've been monkeying with a replacement for my FD's. While nothing seems to be a direct replacement there are several that are close enough.

For anyone else searching I've whittled it down to the TL, Leopard3, Centurion, and the Crave. All of these are similar in feel and flight and much more readily available.

I've been monkeying with a replacement for my FD's. While nothing seems to be a direct replacement there are several that are close enough.

For anyone else searching I've whittled it down to the TL, Leopard3, Centurion, and the Crave. All of these are similar in feel and flight and much more readily available.

Have you tried the Eagle L/Exodus for this slot. When I tried to get into FD's I found that they overlapped with Eagle L's to me.

Have you tried the Eagle L/Exodus for this slot. When I tried to get into FD's I found that they overlapped with Eagle L's to me.

I have not. I accidentally stumbled onto the Crave when my wife picked one up. I threw it a few times on some shots I would normally throw an FD and the flight I got was very reminiscent of my FD's so I bought a couple for myself and I'm giving them a try for a little while and I'll see if they can fill my FD role long term.

I definitely see the overlap, I certainly wouldn't carry them both... the thoughts I have with the Exodus relative to what I use the FD for are:
1. Higher speed disc, requires a touch more pop to get the listed flight characteristics.
2. Stronger HSS than even the FD, so when I bring it to speed it is going to resist turn even more than the FD (not necessarily a bad thing depending on LSF)
3. The LSF is distinctly stronger than what the FD/Leo has. This is really my biggest problem - a heavier hook at the end, I prefer a straighter more settled finish for the job I have the FD performing.

I *did* use the CE Eagle-L way back when I was an amateur from 2006 into 2008. But the Leopard did the job I wanted better, and when I made a switch off of all Trilogy a couple of years ago I found the FD did the job even better than the Leopard. (for the record, nothing Trilogy had seemed to really do the job for me, that could have changed in the past few years)

My Gstar TL is better than the C-Line FD I've tried to beat into some turn. TL glides better, turns a little and fades less than the FD. I guess the point is there are other discs and Discmania is running customers off to find them.

Good questions. I had the same thought when I started seeing the CD2 sold as "OOP" on eBay.

The good news is that none of the molds you listed are officially OOP on Discmania.net ... The bad news is, none of them are in stock, either.

A Leopard3 is a beat in FD. They feel and look identical in hand.

That's interesting. I have a couple of FD's (C-Line and S-Line) and they feel a bit deeper than my Glow Champion Leopard3 to me. The Infinite Centurions feel very much like a Leopard3 in my hands.

All great discs though :)

I honestly think any disc with their letter/number naming convention will be gone or so expensive to obtain you are better off replacing now.

Latest posts