• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] is Innova's DX plastic, is it even worth it?

An interesting bit about DX plastic:

I found a DX Wraith out at the course a few months back that I have dubbed "Angel's DX". It is rubbery like a JK Pro disc, has the stiffness of Champ, and has a bit of a Pro grip. Just the best plastic ever. It does exactly what its supposed to do, glides forever, and is the longest disc in my bag now. I wish I had my entire bag in this plastic.

Looking for a replacement, I noticed there were lots of "similar" feeling ones but nothing quite right. I ended up getting an Orc in the "closest" DX I could find. Literally after one tree-bashing round, it went from seriously overstable to flippy. ONE ROUND. I am a DX-advocate for the most part, but now I see why many people do not like it.

DX Plastic...because, well, it could be good.

Perhaps that Wraith I have is just a happy accident, but I am inclined to believe what many posters here have mentioned that DX just works better with the slower speed molds.

Orcs are notorious for being one of the most frail DX molds. I know a lot of DX fans, NONE of them carry a DX Orc.

Like a lot of people have said. It is all about preference.

But man do them DX stamps look tacky

To be fair, 30 seconds with a cottonball and acetone gets rid of the stamp if you really don't like it.

my fav mid is DX and so is my main putter...
sharp edged drivers just get brutalized while snub-nosed mids (thinking of a Shark) take a lickin and keep on spinnin...out of my hand that is

Star for over 10 speed
Champ on fairway drivers and drivers under 10...
it's a recipe for success

One thing to keep in mind is that, at least with Innova, the premium plastic molds are not always identical to the DX mold for the same disc.

For example, I would love to have a Firebird in champ plastic, but the Pro and Champ plastic Firebirds I have seen all have a significant dome compared to the very flattop DX model. They fly completely different than my DX Firebird. So I'm "stuck" with DX.

And I wouldn't want to throw nothing but Champion and Star plastics in heavy dew/rain/etc conditions. The grip sucks in wet weather compared to DX.

One thing to keep in mind is that, at least with Innova, the premium plastic molds are not always identical to the DX mold for the same disc.

For example, I would love to have a Firebird in champ plastic, but the Pro and Champ plastic Firebirds I have seen all have a significant dome compared to the very flattop DX model. They fly completely different than my DX Firebird. So I'm "stuck" with DX.

And I wouldn't want to throw nothing but Champion and Star plastics in heavy dew/rain/etc conditions. The grip sucks in wet weather compared to DX.

The 12x Champ Firebirds are domey but the 11x OOP ones are flat as a pancake. They can still be found but are getting pricey.

The 12x Champ Firebirds are domey but the 11x OOP ones are flat as a pancake. They can still be found but are getting pricey.

If you can check out your plastic before purchasing it(or order from an online place that will hand pick stuff for ya), you can find current run flat-top Star Firebirds that fly like Firebirds should. Nice and overstable, at least thats how my 172g flat-top Star behaves.

Dx are great. Especially for that one beat to hell disc thata can do that special shot like no other disc will. I have a beat dx leopard I wouldn't trade for a 50 dollar bill. But on the otherside its the only dx in my bag

I found that some of the broken in dx disc fly really good.

Although the durability is questionable at best, there are just certain flight characteristics achieved by DX plastic that cannot be reproduced in premium plastic. I think that their ability to break in faster is a positive quality. Depending on the disc, it could be advantageous to carry DX molds, especially a couple in different stages of wear. That being said though, I don't carry alot of DX plastic that are drivers. I prefer them in putters and mids.

I was thankful to see this thread. I'm a newbie, three months in to what I expect will be a life long pursuit. I raced road bicycles for 18 years and I've fly fished for 5. Both have overwhelming opinion factories that run full production on numerous message boards.
So naturally, after playing a few times with a DX Wraith and DX Stingray and then ditching them and buying an Innova bag and jamming it full of Star, X, and Champion didn't turn me into a pro I ran to the internet.
The message I found was if the manufacturer recommends a disc to beginners--believe them. And if you can't throw a disc 150 feet when others are throwing it 400, it ain't the disc.
That said, the Beto video changed my world. I watched it Friday night and again this morning and then went to my home course (Kentwood, Raleigh NC) and threw flat and farther than I ever had thrown backhand before. Essentially, after seeing that video and separating the wheat from the chaff on some disc weight and make choices, I ditched the Champion Wraith, Champion Sidewinder, Champion Beast, Star Mako (180g!) and I picked up a DX Valkyrie (167g) and a DX Leopard (166g) and I kept my DX Shark, X Buzzz (167g), and Pro Valkyrie (???g) and DX Stingray (168g). My plan was to keep the DX Valk, DX Leopard, DX Stingray, and DX Shark in play and focus on form, and accuracy, building slowly.
Now, my problem is that the course I play most often is all trees, large gravel, and big rocks. I folded the Leopard when I hit a tree Saturday and this morning I took a chunk out of the Valkyrie the size of a quarter. It's a treacherous course with the rocks.
I'd rather not buy a new DX Valkyrie and Leopard every Saturday. My Shark and Aviar are both holding strong and I really like them. So, my long, drawn out explanation yields to my question (which is actually relative to the threat topic): what Innova plastic can a beginner use and still have some durability?
I've learned from this thread that Champion is overstable and Star is less so. And I know that beginners need understable discs to learn on. So do I go with Star? Or do I buy four drivers and four fairway discs a month and just suck it up?

I was thankful to see this thread. I'm a newbie, three months in to what I expect will be a life long pursuit. I raced road bicycles for 18 years and I've fly fished for 5. Both have overwhelming opinion factories that run full production on numerous message boards.
So naturally, after playing a few times with a DX Wraith and DX Stingray and then ditching them and buying an Innova bag and jamming it full of Star, X, and Champion didn't turn me into a pro I ran to the internet.
The message I found was if the manufacturer recommends a disc to beginners--believe them. And if you can't throw a disc 150 feet when others are throwing it 400, it ain't the disc.
That said, the Beto video changed my world. I watched it Friday night and again this morning and then went to my home course (Kentwood, Raleigh NC) and threw flat and farther than I ever had thrown backhand before. Essentially, after seeing that video and separating the wheat from the chaff on some disc weight and make choices, I ditched the Champion Wraith, Champion Sidewinder, Champion Beast, Star Mako (180g!) and I picked up a DX Valkyrie (167g) and a DX Leopard (166g) and I kept my DX Shark, X Buzzz (167g), and Pro Valkyrie (???g) and DX Stingray (168g). My plan was to keep the DX Valk, DX Leopard, DX Stingray, and DX Shark in play and focus on form, and accuracy, building slowly.
Now, my problem is that the course I play most often is all trees, large gravel, and big rocks. I folded the Leopard when I hit a tree Saturday and this morning I took a chunk out of the Valkyrie the size of a quarter. It's a treacherous course with the rocks.
I'd rather not buy a new DX Valkyrie and Leopard every Saturday. My Shark and Aviar are both holding strong and I really like them. So, my long, drawn out explanation yields to my question (which is actually relative to the threat topic): what Innova plastic can a beginner use and still have some durability?
I've learned from this thread that Champion is overstable and Star is less so. And I know that beginners need understable discs to learn on. So do I go with Star? Or do I buy four drivers and four fairway discs a month and just suck it up?

Maybe try a Star Leppard or Star TL to use with your Shark and Aviar.

...So, my long, drawn out explanation yields to my question (which is actually relative to the threat topic): what Innova plastic can a beginner use and still have some durability?

Any slow, understable disc will be beginner friendly, regardless of plastic. A Leopard, the de facto noob driver, is going to be most overstable in Champ, then Star, then Pro, and lastly DX but the difference in stability is fairly small. DX typically holds up pretty well in slower drivers like Teebirds, Eagles, etc on down to putters unless you're playing in the desert/forest every week, so don't be afraid of trying out another DX Leopard, yours might have been from a bad run of DX plastic. But the Champ and Star Leopards will beat in to be more beginner friendly over time.

(PS, at Kentwood, all you should be throwing is mids and putters anyway).