• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] is Innova's DX plastic, is it even worth it?

jskatt21

Par Member
I have been wondering this for a while now. While DX plastic is affordable, they get broken in very fast. The price can be nice for replacing as well. However Champion and Star plastic is more expensive and holds up better too, however replacing them can get spendy if lost.

What is your opinion?

It depends on what you are using it for. If you only play occasionally, only play open grassy courses, or are constantly shooting over water, then DX is probably for you. It also flies differently than the premium plastics do. And the quickness they become beat in sometimes is a pro not a con. My opinion is use it if you like it, don't if you don't.

Some discs fly truer and better in DX - typically those that were made before star/champ.
And :'( , hopefully you haven't started another fight/semantic/opionated rant

Just recently I have been correcting a lot in my throw and can now throw around 425 on a good throw. I'm generating a lot more power and with my DX plastic drivers I turn them over so much easier than Champion or Star plastics.

From now on, I am going to purchase mostly Star and Champion drivers.

DX is decent for putters, but I prefer R-Pro for its grippy feel. I only have two midranges and both are DX, and they seem to be holding up pretty well after all the punishment I've put them through.

All-in-all...DX is probably just something to start out using and even though Champion and Star are more expensive they will do what you want them to for longer.

It depends on what you are using it for. If you only play occasionally, only play open grassy courses, or are constantly shooting over water, then DX is probably for you. It also flies differently than the premium plastics do. And the quickness they become beat in sometimes is a pro not a con. My opinion is use it if you like it, don't if you don't.

this^...and some prefer dx for mids/putts. it all comes down to preference.

Its definitely a personal preference and there isnt a real 'right' answer

That being said I throw mostly champion plastic. The way I throw I normally hit anything and everything out on the course and Ive found dx drivers get beat up too quick for them to be economical for my throwing style.

NO it isn't worth it.

I carry all four of Innova's primary plastic lines in my bag, and three of Discraft's.

I have discs in both Pro-D and DX plastics, and I'm fairly certain that the Pro-D holds up better than the DX. Has anybody else noticed this? I drove my Pro-D XL right into a tree today, and it barely made a mark. If that had been my DX Leopard, it would have but a nice ding in it.

Also, the Pro-D XL has a stability rating of 0, while the Elite-Z is 1.5, which is why I own them both.

Of course it is worth it. Pretty much anything that is speed 7 or slower was designed to be made in dx plastic so if you want the disc to fly how it was supposed to you should get it in dx. I don't know how you guys play, but it takes me several months to break in a dx teebird, and years to break in a dx roc. I don't find the plastic to be bad at all as long as you stay away from the wide rimmed discs that were designed to be thrown in premium plastic.

DX plastic is definitely worth it. As stated earlier, many older designs fly best in DX. Test it for yourself and I'm certain you will find DX has superior glide to the premium plastics.

I hear (and read) people talk trash all the time about how DX discs are useless after a couple tree hits, but in my experience this is wildy over-stated. Older mold DX discs were designed with the beating the discs take in mind and this works out very well for players who take advantage of it. The classic example is the DX Roc. Fresh Rancho Rocs are great discs and they beat in to become awesome. If you've read these forums about Rocs, you've seen the advice to cycle them. TeeBirds, Eagles, and Valkyries are other examples of molds I believe are well worth your time to experience the DX life cycle with. You might think DX discs don't stand up to whacking trees; but once you lose a perfectly seasoned DX Eagle and want another one; get yourself a new one and see how long it takes to get that new one beat in.

And they're cheap compared to other plastics. Arguably half the price and fly better? What's not to love?

Maybe it's an age thing. Older players who started out when DX is all there was know and love how DX starts out overstable and beats in. Newer players don't like the flight changing on them. But giving DX plastic a fair trial is most definitely worth it.

I'm beginning to question the perception (my own included) that DX plastic beats up ridiculously fast. I've had a few DX discs get trashed after a relatively small number of tree hits, but lately I've been using a DX Banshee for overstable stuff and wind duty, and although it hasn't hit a huge number of trees, it's certainly nailed a good number at high speed, and so far it's holding up just fine. A few scuffs, but no worse for wear.

dx rocs are the only way to go...just got a dx aviar driver in a players pack and it is nice , so yes dx is worth it and it has a place in my bag

Nicest discs in my bags are my broken in dx rocs, I buy my heavier Firebird in dx plastic and the lighter one in champion plastic. DX is well worth it.

DX is well worth it. The old molds that were created in DX are especially better in DX. It varies by mold though, DX Orcs... not a fan.

You will have a definitive advantage if you are using DX plastic in wet weather.

yeah i think it can be espeically cuz it can be cheapest if playing course wehre that is prone to happen. Beats in differently and see people use it to their advantage.

Latest posts