• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Cheating???

Bryan Spang

Is using OTC drugs like Advil (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Actedomedifen) cheating? As a MA55 player I seam to be taking them every tournament. I know I can throw farther after they kick into my system. Sunday I was on the practice/warm-up field with all the young guns when I took a disc in the lower leg. It hurt but I shook it off. I had already been on 500 mg of Advil for 45 minutes and my body knew it. I was able to play and play well. After the tournament the Advil worked its way out of my system and the pain and swelling in the lower leg was great enough that I wasn't able to play another round. Even the next day I was sidelined. This wonder drug does enhance my ability to drive further, putt smoother and play rounds my body says I should not be playing. My scores are noticeably lower when I take Advil prior to competitive rounds.
Is it Cheating??

Last edited:
I had a guy who I dont know, ask me at a tournament, "hey, you look like you might have ibuprofen… can I get some?" And all I had was Alieve. A few pills. In a baggie. I showed him and said, you'll have to trust me these are Alieve, but I understand if you don't want one. He took one.

I guess we cheated, lol. I'm only 49 tho.

Not cheating as hard as wearing glasses or contacts.
Or that knee brace.........hearing aids........wool socks and underarmor......oh the horrors..... 😛

I am not convinced my Ibuprofen is performance enhancing, as much as comfort. For several years, I was playing in a statewide bagtag league called Alztimers. The motto on the bag tag was 2 Motrin = 4 strokes.

Definitely not cheating. I take 2 Aleve 1 Tylenol and 1 Tramadol before a round as prescribed by my doctor. I have bad knees, back, AND shoulder and can't make it without all that.

Is using OTC drugs like Advil (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Actedomedifen) cheating? As a MA55 player I seam to be taking them every tournament. I know I can throw farther after they kick into my system. Sunday I was on the practice/warm-up field with all the young guns when I took a disc in the lower leg. It hurt but I shook it off. I had already been on 500 mg of Advil for 45 minutes and my body knew it. I was able to play and play well. After the tournament the Advil worked its way out of my system and the pain and swelling in the lower leg was great enough that I wasn't able to play another round. Even the next day I was sidelined. This wonder drug does enhance my ability to drive further and putt smoother. My scores are noticeably lower when I take Advil prior to completive rounds.
Is it Cheating??
As a fellow 50 something with chronic pain. If someone wants to accuse me of cheating for taking an OTC. I'd laugh at them, and then offer them some weed.

At 58, guess I should just thank my lucky stars I don't use any pain relievers on any regular or predictable basis.

Prescription lenses are my preferred form of cheating.

At 58, guess I should just thank my lucky stars I don't use any pain relievers on any regular or predictable basis.

Prescription lenses are my preferred form of cheating.
Same age. Only time I use NSAIDS is playing dg. I used to eat them by the fist full.

Just turned 60 last week.
Back when I turned masters age the first time, we called Advil "skittles".
Five years later, when I got to be masters age again, Advil was more prevalent in the division, as were some of the less legal pain killers.

Just turned 60 last week.
Back when I turned masters age the first time, we called Advil "skittles".
Five years later, when I got to be masters age again, Advil was more prevalent in the division, as were some of the less legal pain killers.
Happy Birthday.

Aleve for muscle/back pain
Goodfeet inserts to adjust my spine/hips
doTerra Deep Blue to rub into sore spots as they show up on the course
Alevert or Flonase for allergies
Once home a TENS machine to loosen my back muscles.
Hmmm, am I forgetting anything? I think I've covered it all.
Oh yeah, stretches to help loosen up my back.

Otc or prescription drugs can both be ok or not (using IOC rules). I raced in the junior worlds decades ago and before I went I looked up what was illegal. Too much caffeine is against ioc rules. I can't recall the exact amount that makes it illegal but I remember it being about 20 large cups. I believe Chris fromme who won the tour de France was busted for too much ventolin.
Regular doses of otc pain meds is fine. Most pro athletes (or lower level geriatric athletes) can't compete without managing chronic pain.

You could make an argument Propanolol or Adderall are performance enhancing. I'm sure anyone prescribed those medications needs them for something besides disc golf though.

my rounds when my messed up knee other ailments are getting to me; 909

When they are properly managed; 965

Give me all the pain meds.

I'm 70 and pretty much pain free. Switching to a low carb diet four years ago eliminated most of my pain and taking turmeric every day keeps inflammation in check. I play 4-5 times a week and also ride a bike about the same (1.5 hrs 4-5 times a week). I'll get a little sore after a two round tournament, but the next day I'm fine.

Latest posts