• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Cheating???

I just turned 60 a few months ago, and those aches and pains are coming a little more frequent. without the meds they seem to go away after a few days except this time I have a lingering dull ache in my non plant hip, the past few weeks. not sure if from disc golf or could be from an aqua track I use on my non-playing days. I felt it before but normally goes away after a few days. I decided to take some ibuprofen over the next few days and maybe the pain will disappear. if not I will move on to meloxicam which is very effective relieving the pain. when I had unbearable knee and shoulder pain a few years ago, disappeared quickly. On occasion May return as a dull ache, but disappears on his own without meds.

I was just rereading the side effects of Meloxicam. somebody had asked what organ is it hard on, it wasn't the one I was hoping for, it's the liver

I'm 78 and have had one knee replacement and am close to needing the second one. I just don't want to deal with the down time and getting the second surgery scheduled. The best pain med I have used is Tramadol, but my old Dr retired and the new one doesn't want to prescribe it for me. All he will say is take more Tylenol. I told him Tylenol doesn't do anything for me pain wise and if I take as much as he wants me to it upsets my stomach. He told me it can't upset my stomach because it is processed by the liver. Uh, how does it get to the liver? I think through my stomach, right?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs known as opioid analgesics. I think you should seriously consider listening to the advice of a physician.

Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs known as opioid analgesics. I think you should seriously consider listening to the advice of a physician.
My doctor told me too much Tylenol can upset my stomach and damage my liver. She said to take no more than 1 every 6 to 8 hours. She has me taking Aleve with Tramadol as needed. I hate taking medicine so I only take it when either I disc golf or the pain is unbearable, even though in in constant pain.

If you regularly take ibuprofen or naproxen make sure you get your kidney function checked. This quote is from a review paper in 2018:

"Long-term NSAID use can lead to chronic kidney disease (CKD). In patients without renal diseases, young and without comorbidities, NSAIDs are not greatly harmful. However, because of its dose-dependent effect, caution should be exercised in chronic use, since it increases the risk of developing nephrotoxicity."

Any free advice for meloxicam at 15 mg doses?

Knee doctor prescribed and my primary signed off as well. I've read up a bit on it as well.

Any free advice for meloxicam at 15 mg doses?

Knee doctor prescribed and my primary signed off as well. I've read up a bit on it as well.
Mobic has been around for a long time. I have seen it ordered and used to pretty good success for arthritis. It is a NSAID and comes with the usual cautions. It is hard on the stomach and come with the usual precautions. Take with food, take with a full glass of water..... Alcohol use can exacerbate stomach issues. You should, of course, discuss this with your primary care physician. I can't advise listening the the disc golfer guy on social media, lol.

Mobic has been around for a long time. I have seen it ordered and used to pretty good success for arthritis. It is a NSAID and comes with the usual cautions. It is hard on the stomach and come with the usual precautions. Take with food, take with a full glass of water..... Alcohol use can exacerbate stomach issues. You should, of course, discuss this with your primary care physician. I can't advise listening the the disc golfer guy on social media, lol.

Thank you for the confirmation. In line with all of the knowledge that I have been present to date. Works wonders on my arthritis so far.

It was discussed last month with my primary care as well.

I'm 70 and pretty much pain free. Switching to a low carb diet four years ago eliminated most of my pain and taking turmeric every day keeps inflammation in check. I play 4-5 times a week and also ride a bike about the same (1.5 hrs 4-5 times a week). I'll get a little sore after a two round tournament, but the next day I'm fine.
How much turmeric do you take? I've been thinking about upping my daily dose.

How much turmeric do you take? I've been thinking about upping my daily dose.
Thank you gentlemen for this conversation. I hadn't heard of this. Went to my spice cabinet and found an unopened bottle of turmeric only past its date by a year (which is young for spices!). Johns Hopkins has a nice article about it. Looks like it might take awhile for the effects to occur? Also, taking it with black pepper helps the active ingredient in turmeric get to where it needs to go. Going to look seriously into this.

I've been doing a teaspoon of turmeric every morning along with same amount of lion's mane and maitake. Started the turmeric a couple years back, the 2 mushrooms much more recently when I foraged enough of each of them for it to be practical (I have a hard time with the concept of buying them). I was targeting inflammation/soreness with the turmeric and it does seem to help- in particular I think I have less soreness after exercise. Maitake's benefits are less noticeable on a daily basis but it is known to boost your immune system and help fight cancer among other things. I think I notice the lion's mane more day to day than the others. It helps with brain function and nerve development/recovery. I have definitely felt "sharper" in the morning since starting it.

As Hippocrates said "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food."

Thank you gentlemen for this conversation. I hadn't heard of this. Went to my spice cabinet and found an unopened bottle of turmeric only past its date by a year (which is young for spices!). Johns Hopkins has a nice article about it. Looks like it might take awhile for the effects to occur? Also, taking it with black pepper helps the active ingredient in turmeric get to where it needs to go. Going to look seriously into this.

I also mix the turmeric with fish oil, which is supposed to help the body absorb it. I've been taking it regularly for about a year now—not really 100% sure if it's working. I started at 500mg/day and have been doing 1000mg/day for about two months, but I've heard 2000 or 3000mg/day is when you really feel it. Haven't had any side effects at 1000mg/day yet so maybe I'll increase.

Latest posts