• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it just me or...

Kids love the long disc game. Nevermind that 500 ft of distance, will come into play on about none of the holes they play.

It's not just you, but throwing 500 feet is also 20x, or 100x, or whatever harder than consistently parking 100 foot approaches. Plenty of the terrible players that I play with regularly park their 100 foot approach shots VERY consistently.

It's not just you, but throwing 500 feet is also 20x, or 100x, or whatever harder than consistently parking 100 foot approaches. Plenty of the terrible players that I play with regularly park their 100 foot approach shots VERY consistently.
Usually with 12 speed drivers too.

Approach shots are not fun and exciting.
learning to throw them isn't terrible, but you gotta do a lot of practice on them also.

There are ways to do approach shots better, but nobody really cares to learn them. They wanna keep throwing their high speed drivers for short holes because they dont think they can make it with a putter or a midrange.

I had a video on it a long time ago, one of the first DG video's I did.

And Loopghost rolled in on it and started saying I was doing something wrong, then didn't explain himself when I asked for clarification. It was really demoralizing.
Which that issue was me "spinning out" which..
To be honest, I could care less if anyone "spins out" for upshots. It's not a power shot. do what makes that shot consistent for you.
But it took me like 2 years to find someone who could explain what the hell he was saying to me.

It is really easy for everyone to see on video how good the touring pros are at driving and putting. The quality of their approach games does not come across at all and is often overlooked. A lot of players (most?) just play courses where driving and putting is sufficient for success as well.

I think they are confusing ft with cm.

Ok, I'll bite. Best tactics for 100' approach seem to be:
1. Jump putt
2. Zone OS flick
3. Berg
4. Glitch
Yay or nay?
A variation on #2--Tempo flick--for me, although I'll occasionally grab the Berg if I need it to sit down fast.

Taking 2 or better every time from 100' seems a bit more more useful to me than throwing 500', but what do I know?

At 100', I'm either throwing a touch shot with my putter or if there's room just letting the Stego do it's thing.

For me 100 feet is pretty much always stall a flippy putter (PA4) near the basket and hope it goes in.

I should do that a bit more. I tend to try to come in at chain height with the Tempo, but if I don't hit anything, the comebackers can be a bit nervy.

I throw a lot of scoobers that slide up under the basket from inside 100. Otherwise, I float a Dart anny up there.

One think to think about with the pros and upshots. Or even long putts (that are upshots for the rest of us). They're trying to get that disc in the basket. So they often overshoot or misfire in some way that leaves them with a significant comebacker. That's easier for them to recover, which is why they "run it" in the first place. But people might unintentionally get the wrong idea when a pro tries to make it from 120', ends up with a 60' comebacker. If they _really_ wanted to park the basket, they could. They made a risk calculation. And if you watched the Chess.com Invitational last week, that was often a losing gamble.

Nose up. Slight anhyzer release. Aim at the lower right hand corner of the cage.

Got that advice from Val Jenkins in 2007 for lining up short approaches, and I've held onto it ever since.
Same for me as well. I've played "catch" with a warm up disc which happens to be the same mold I use for my approach shots and practice repeatedly hitting my throwing partner in the chest with floaty soft controlled shots from varying distances. We usually stretch it out to 200 ft. Transfers well to the course via muscle memory and I play "catch" with the basket. Although as a lefty, I aim top of the left side of the tray rather than bottom right side but its whatever works for anyone who wants to create a repeatable common aim point and approach throw. I get a lot more throw ins, metal hits, and generally 10 footers or less this way than back when I was actually trying to "park" baskets, which is weird that trying to make it with a soft run works out better.