• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is my grip hurting me?

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
Please be easy on me. Been playing for a little over 2 years. Im a 830s rated player who has maybe average distance.
I took lessons recently and was told my grip is bad. I like to powergrip with my thumb at the end of the disc, pinching the disc into my pointer finger. I have large hands and it feels comfy to me. He told me i need my thumb further in the flight plate.

I feel as if my thumb isnt doing anything there, and i release the disc early with 0 snap when i switch to that grip

is my grip hurting me? How can i make an adjustment to throw better.

Attachments

• 20230422_172351.jpg
    20230422_172351.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230422_172431.jpg
    20230422_172431.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 49
Bad grip is when you have inconsistent releases and spray all over the place. If you hit the desired release points for your intended throw it's not necessarily wrong. Without a video showing your form it's hard to say if it's bad grip or not. All I can say for sure is your huge hand makes that disc look like a mini so it might work fine for you.

Bad grip is when you have inconsistent releases and spray all over the place. If you hit the desired release points for your intended throw it's not necessarily wrong. Without a video showing your form it's hard to say if it's bad grip or not. All I can say for sure is your huge hand makes that disc look like a mini so it might work fine for you.

Thanks for the info. I wear XXL gloves so i do have big hands. Im very happy with my release poing consistency. I was worried it may be preventing spin or something that'll give me more distance

Our friend "First Available" grips that way too, and I tell people not to grip like that. He does throw some bombs, but also hits lots of first available :D

I used to use almost the same grip and moved away from it when I risked becoming my local First Available. Without seeing more I can tell you're probably not getting great flight plate control or ideal leverage at the wrist.

You might get a lot of mileage exploring modified power grips or fan grips. Play around with a hammer since a lot of grip is really about leverage and force transfer. When you grasp a hitting instrument like a hammer notice where your own thumb is relative to your fingers etc. Take away a pinky or ring finger and find the same leverage. Your finger positions will probably settle differently than they do there after you play with it a bit.

Maximize your wondrous, substantial hands.

Open question to any of you, how much pressure is your thumb applying? When i'm in a power grip I feel like I could easily throw with the thumb completely off the disc (probably a little less control though). My point being - not very tight. Are any of you pushing with the thumb?

I used to use almost the same grip and moved away from it when I risked becoming my local First Available. Without seeing more I can tell you're probably not getting great flight plate control or ideal leverage at the wrist.

You might get a lot of mileage exploring modified power grips or fan grips. Play around with a hammer since a lot of grip is really about leverage and force transfer. When you grasp a hitting instrument like a hammer notice where your own thumb is relative to your fingers etc. Take away a pinky or ring finger and find the same leverage. Your finger positions will probably settle differently than they do there after you play with it a bit.

Maximize your wondrous, substantial hands.

Thanks for the info! What is this first available term you and others are using?

Open question to any of you, how much pressure is your thumb applying? When i'm in a power grip I feel like I could easily throw with the thumb completely off the disc (probably a little less control though). My point being - not very tight. Are any of you pushing with the thumb?

My thumb is basically just hanging out along for the ride until probably the last couple inches and then I crush the disc with my grip.

My thumb is basically just hanging out along for the ride until probably the last couple inches and then I crush the disc with my grip.

I think I would have a ton of slip outs/early releases if I tried that. Which reinforces what I though I already knew: I'm moving too fast early in the throwing motion. You're likely accelerating late and don't need a strong grip until speed starts increasing dramatically late in the swing.

Please be easy on me. Been playing for a little over 2 years. Im a 830s rated player who has maybe average distance.
I took lessons recently and was told my grip is bad. I like to powergrip with my thumb at the end of the disc, pinching the disc into my pointer finger. I have large hands and it feels comfy to me. He told me i need my thumb further in the flight plate.

I feel as if my thumb isnt doing anything there, and i release the disc early with 0 snap when i switch to that grip

is my grip hurting me? How can i make an adjustment to throw better.
I am only playing less than a year, and just took my first lesson recently, but coach said put my thumb further in than that, for sure, and press HARD with my thumb. I think thumb further in and pressing hard is how almost everybody teaches it? Coach also has me keeping thumb and pointer finger pretty near each other on the disc - creating a strong pinch point. Not teaching - looking for input same as accountant… I have many miles to go to maximize my potential.

I am only playing less than a year, and just took my first lesson recently, but coach said put my thumb further in than that, for sure, and press HARD with my thumb. I think thumb further in and pressing hard is how almost everybody teaches it? Coach also has me keeping thumb and pointer finger pretty near each other on the disc - creating a strong pinch point. Not teaching - looking for input same as accountant… I have many miles to go to maximize my potential.
Thumb placement, for backhand, should be near the inner rim of the disc. It's a bit different on putters and mids, and you have to find the spot. But it shoudln't be on the very edge of the disc, and if its to far in, you probably have the disc in a position where it will never fly nose down.

My grip is based on feel of the disc. I use a full grip on putters and mid's. From 6 speed and up can be a full grip Horizon plastic. 3 finger Proton, Fission, Neutron, S-line and most Star Plastic. 2 finger Star Mamba, and what few VIP Air I have. When the wind is blowing at least 15 mph all disc at least 3 finger or I just don't use it. My variety is based on hand injuries over the years and finding a comfort level. The best comfort I've found is Horizon I have 5 of the 6 disc Discmania offers, Vanguard is my last pick up, easy to throw, and I use Horizon for strong or medium wind speeds.

The only thing I use consistent from grip to grip is to pinch my thumb and pointer finger hard. That came from a Holly Finley video that she posted on DGCR 3 years ago before the holidays.

Latest posts