• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is putting too easy? too hard? Just right?

Putting is?

• Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses

Votes: 90 17.9%
  • Putting is about right, keep the basket size

Votes: 398 79.1%
  • Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters
I'm NOT a fan of standardized baskets. One of my favorite things about course bagging is seeing all of the unique courses and baskets along the way. Places like Lake Stevens or Horning's Hideout or NSRA DGC just wouldn't be the same without the fun baskets they provide. Even the baskets on those courses aren't all perfectly the same and it's more fun because of it.
I am not even a fan of basket standardization across a single course.

Putting is all three, too easy, too hard, and just right. It all depends on the person putting. I'm a lousy putter outside of 15 feet....in one way the current baskets are too hard or I would make more putts out to 30 feet. In another way they are just right....it's not the basket's fault I don't make more putts outside 15 feet. For players who consistently make 30 foot putts....current baskets are probably too easy.

But before we change the size of baskets, maybe standardization should happen. Each company has its own basket design....some with horizontal chains which rarely allow a disc to go through and out the other side no matter how vertical the disc is thrown. Some have few chains and even a disc on an angle has a good chance of going through the chains and out the other sides. Some brands have chains that hang at an angle that make spit outs more likely. I would like to see a standardization so that if I throw a disc a certain way, certain speed, it will react the same way regardless of what brand of basket I'm throwing to. Even the trays aren't the same dimensions from company to company.

I am not even a fan of basket standardization across a single course.

We have 3 models at Stoney Hill. That's if you don't separate out the various generations of Discatchers.

My personal experience is that, when I miss the entire thing, the chain configuration doesn't matter much.

I'm NOT a fan of standardized baskets. One of my favorite things about course bagging is seeing all of the unique courses and baskets along the way. Places like Lake Stevens or Horning's Hideout or NSRA DGC just wouldn't be the same without the fun baskets they provide. Even the baskets on those courses aren't all perfectly the same and it's more fun because of it.
Might be interesting to have a different Championship basket model on every hole for temp layouts in DGPT events. They could potentially get more sponsors involved and provide more content for commentators.

Might be interesting to have a different Championship basket model on every hole for temp layouts in DGPT events. They could potentially get more sponsors involved and provide more content for commentators.
Pros would have a cow.

Golf doesn't make the cup smaller for pros.

They make the greens and approaches more difficult.
Sounds right to me! Tougher courses for pros, guarded baskets, and they already do a lot of raised up baskets, but the basket sizes are just fine the way they are.

Speaking as a newbie, and who NO CHANCE of ever competing seriously, putting is about right. But it's me who needs fixing.

Another thought, in the realm of unattended consequences, is that more missed putts means more drop-in putts.

If you think nearly-automatic 20-footers are boring, bear in mind all the 2-footers that will result if putting is made more difficult.

Golf doesn't make the cup smaller for pros.

They make the greens and approaches more difficult.
Great in theory and great where we can actually have time and resources to manipulate the greens and approaches. If manipulating the green simply means painting a line in a different place however I think there are times when a less accepting target would be useful. In general I would prefer a target with some degree of directionality rather than one that is simply the same configuration but smaller unless someone can create a smaller target that catches with some consistency.

Great in theory and great where we can actually have time and resources to manipulate the greens and approaches. If manipulating the green simply means painting a line in a different place however I think there are times when a less accepting target would be useful. In general I would prefer a target with some degree of directionality rather than one that is simply the same configuration but smaller unless someone can create a smaller target that catches with some consistency.

One of my home courses when I first started playing:

13254-45a05158.jpg

The side away from the camera is either open with a bar splitting the opening in half or one side of the split half has chains blocking you or the entire side away from the camera is chained off and blocking you. Sometimes you get only one of the split sides open and the rest chained off, It's different on every hole on this course. The idea is the chained off section is like a sand trap so knowing where to land on your drive is key. When you land on the wrong side you see players do everything from laying up to the open side from 10 feet away or you see some of the most hilarious spike hyzer putting with sharp drivers or soft, floppy putters. This course is very short and very wooded and these baskets add fun and challenge to the course... if you have the right mindset anyway. Long live Dr. Fred baskets, if you know, you know.

@Getty @drkstr @cefire

I remember Dr Fred and his baskets well from the PDGA forums when they existed. At the time I was not a fan but things change. I am still not sure how I feel about completely blocking off a side of the target.

These are a couple things I threw together out of junk laying around the farm for what I called a Disc Golf Faux Tour event a couple years back.
IMG_20210423_164904031.jpgIMG_20210424_104743312.jpg

I remember Dr Fred and his baskets well from the PDGA forums when they existed. At the time I was not a fan but things change. I am still not sure how I feel about completely blocking off a side of the target.

These are a couple things I threw together out of junk laying around the farm for what I called a Disc Golf Faux Tour event a couple years back.
View attachment 327720View attachment 327721

I can envision something similar to what you have on the green basket, except using colored bungee cords. Using a different color for different location on basket. By using different colors, players would know where the blockage is on the basket and can try to land to the side most beneficial for a putt. If the players is truly parked (ie, a drop in) then the blockage is inconsequential. Being slightly off may require a different angle for putting.

Latest posts