• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Katana like cheating?

dang those are crazy long holes. The longest around here gets close to 500 but thats about it. Are they still par 3's?

dang those are crazy long holes. The longest around here gets close to 500 but thats about it. Are they still par 3's?

All of those are Par 4's, but if you land in the fairway past the bends they're pretty easy to get a 3 on, especially with extra distance I'm getting from the Katana on these types of holes. On these longer holes it allows me to do a drive and approach instead of having to do 2 drives.

Here's another hole I use the Katana to cheat on- Hole 1 @ East Metro- sky anny from the long tee (you don't want it to fade out here cause there's cactus on the left after the bend):
50bd5cbe.jpg

11f4b771.jpg

Well, I can say that sometimes it takes weeks or months for a disc to do what you ultimately want it to do. Everyone needs to learn to be patient with their discs. Study the flight charts, evaluate your needs, and then expect that eventually you will get the disc tuned to the desired flight patterns.

I'm not saying the Katana is right for you, just offering advice b/c you gave up on a disc so easily. You bought it today and already you are done.

That may be true, but I can say that sometimes it only takes a few throws to know that a disc is not right for you.

That may be true, but I can say that sometimes it only takes a few throws to know that a disc is not right for you.

and sometimes, it only takes a few throws to "get" what a disc is all about.

with less than 5-6 throws (assuming i throw right) i can get a very clear feel as to what a disc will do, how it throws (in general; vs other discs; vs. the flight patter chart) and how i *might* use it.... (ooh it's just like my <XXX> but it's longer and a touch flippier...)

i cant count the times in tourney rounds where a competitor pulls out a Katana and throws a TERRIBLE shot with it allowing me to easily move past him on the leader board, im all for them, everyone should throw them on every hole

went thru and picked up some f2s that i havent used in my almost 3 years of disc golf, a pro katana , star orc, and a champ valkyrie.

For a 330ish arm, those things bomb straight, or at last the f2 run i got sent. it reminds me of pro wraiths but more turn and about 20--30 ft longer. Very interesting disc and flight. Other discs i get similar distance with are a f2 halo mamba and esp flx scortch.

I picked up a star that is a flat gummy run and it's out distancing my Pro Wraiths by a bit as well. I have been testing it out against a Star Tern and Star Shryke, and the Katana and Tern seem to get about the same distance. I might need to pick up a Pro Katana to try out.

PS: Nice Necro

I picked up a star that is a flat gummy run and it's out distancing my Pro Wraiths by a bit as well. I have been testing it out against a Star Tern and Star Shryke, and the Katana and Tern seem to get about the same distance. I might need to pick up a Pro Katana to try out.

PS: Nice Necro

something about these new plastic blends seems like gstar and pro are more stable than all the reviews from 4+ years ago. Seems like its all shinier and gummer. My 21-22 gstar stuff seemed more matte and the last 6 months its been shiny. I recently bought a gstar & star teebird thinking there would be a big difference and really very little. This katana feels like a cross between pro and gstar(the newer kind) but the shine is there, very glossy

I keep reading these very old posts and people talk about how flippy they were and this would turn but i never got close to flipping it over like a star Mamba.

these new F2's i bought all had an iridescent f2 bar stamp

Get GStar. A GStar Katana and GStar Corvettes make a great max distance lineup. It's between those two and domey Destinys for longest discs I have ever thrown.

G* Katanas can be maddeningly inconsistent. They're often flat, beefy, and glideless. I've had way better luck with regular star Katanas.

G* Corvettes, on the other hand, are perfect. I haven't seen a bad one of those.

Katana is probably the longest mold out there that no one really talks about anymore. Perfect blend of speed, glide, high speed turn, and late fade to create some very long S curves.

Get GStar. A GStar Katana and GStar Corvettes make a great max distance lineup. It's between those two and domey Destinys for longest discs I have ever thrown.

Not sure if I've tried a GStar Katana. Over the last few years a Pro Katana and GStar Corvette have clearly stood out among the rabble as my longest discs. I know we have beaten this GStar Corvette horse before. It's well deserved.

That being said, I have a 160-164 GStar Daedalus F2 experiment arriving tomorrow. I am curious to see how it stacks up. Seeing as I typically play at 4500-6500 feet in windy conditions, and it seems like Daedaluses (Daedalii?) typically are a bit domier (at least in Star/GStar) and more understable than Corvettes, I can envision a 160-164 GStar Daedalus stealing some bomber drives, especially in tailwinds and uphill (so many of those 'round here). Excited to see if my dreams come to fruition or if they will be shattered.

Last edited:
Also, anyone try the recent "drop" of champ glow F2 katanas? I picked one up at 175, haven't thrown it yet. Not a ton of dome but it feels great.

Not sure if I've tried a GStar Katana. Over the last few years a Pro Katana and GStar Corvette have clearly stood out among the rabble as my longest discs. I know we have beaten this GStar Corvette horse before. It's well deserved.

That being said, I have a 160-164 GStar Daedalus F2 experiment arriving tomorrow. I am curious to see how it stacks up. Seeing as I typically play at 4500-6500 feet in windy conditions, and it seems like Daedaluses (Daedalii?) typically are a bit domier (at least in Star/GStar) and more understable than Corvettes, I can envision a 160-164 GStar Daedalus stealing some bomber drives, especially in tailwinds and uphill (so many of those 'round here). Excited to see if my dreams come to fruition or if they will be shattered.

Daedalus is another mold that can be finicky in G*. Hopefully the one you're getting has some dome. I've thrown flat G* Daedali before that simply wouldn't do anything.

In most cases the Daedalus is noticeably more understable than the Corvette or Katana. The Daedalus can be very, very long if you can keep it from turning over entirely. A hyzerflip release will probably be necessary with it.

With any fast bomber driver you want as much dome as possible. I could list probably a dozen molds that work for this purpose, but none of them are any good when they're flat. Dome = glide.

Daedalus is another mold that can be finicky in G*. Hopefully the one you're getting has some dome. I've thrown flat G* Daedali before that simply wouldn't do anything.

In most cases the Daedalus is noticeably more understable than the Corvette or Katana. The Daedalus can be very, very long if you can keep it from turning over entirely. A hyzerflip release will probably be necessary with it.

With any fast bomber driver you want as much dome as possible. I could list probably a dozen molds that work for this purpose, but none of them are any good when they're flat. Dome = glide.

Yep, the Daedalus has to have dome if it's going to have a chance. Most stars and gstars I've seen have healthy dome though. I used to have a champ that was flat flat.

I have a domey blizzard champ Katana, and its flight is completely unpredictable. I have to sling it really high and hyzer so it will not turn and burn. However it will listen to the slightest gust of wind that is blowing in the heights required to make it fly a reasonable distance. Just for reference, I can get it to about 350 feet. If you want to push internet distance, this is the right disc. It is also the right disc to impress other people on your card with your noodle arm, however it is not the disc that will land in the fairway.

I have a domey blizzard champ Katana, and its flight is completely unpredictable. I have to sling it really high and hyzer so it will not turn and burn. However it will listen to the slightest gust of wind that is blowing in the heights required to make it fly a reasonable distance. Just for reference, I can get it to about 350 feet. If you want to push internet distance, this is the right disc. It is also the right disc to impress other people on your card with your noodle arm, however it is not the disc that will land in the fairway.

Blizzard discs are never the way to go for on-course use. They're just terrible. They might go 500' once in 10 throws, but the other 9 throws will be all over the place.

Of all the disc companies that make air plastic I feel like Innova's is by far the worse/least consistent.

I've trifled with blizzard Katanas a time or two, and never had any real success. You get the one tantalizing bomb followed by nothing but misery. As you mentioned, wind exacerbates the problem greatly.

Latest posts