• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a reason that the PDGA does not follow rules?

chris deitzel

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I have been seeing these SUPER GROUPS at NT and majors the last few years. They do it at the Vibram where they group the previous winners in the lead card. Also at the Hambrick right now, they put together a super group for the lead card so that we could watch the live scoring at home.

But according to rule 1.6 of the PDGA competition manual:

1.6 Grouping and Sectioning

A. Professional and Amateur players should not be grouped together, and players competing in different divisions should be segregated from each other during play as much as practicable.

B. All players within a division for the first round should be grouped via two methods:

(1) Random grouping; players within a division may be randomly grouped for the first round.

(2) Player Rating grouping; players within a division may use player rating to set first round groups. Highest rated player starting on the lowest number hole, the second highest rated player starting on the following hole, etc. This process would continue until all starting holes have been filled.

C. To promote fairness, groups shall not be less than three players, except under extenuating circumstances, as deemed necessary by the director. In cases where fewer than three players are required to play together players, an official is required to accompany the group and may play as long as this does not interfere with the competing players.

D. Groups shall not be more than five players and should be limited to four players whenever possible.

E. When there are more entrants than can play together in one round, the field of competitors may be split into sections or pools.

F. If conditions differently affect play among sections, the director may consider using a sectioning procedure to determine advancement. Under this procedure, a proportionate number of advancing players would be taken from each section by score and their scores would not be carried forward.

So why do they keep putting together these super groups and not folow the rules that they have outlined?

It's pretty frustrating.

This pisses me off so much that it almost makes me want to start a lawsuit against the PDGA. Perhaps all members should have their money refunded since it is apparent that the PDGA does not care about their own rules?

The PDGA is the hieght of disc golf organization, which isn't saying much! Individual TD's Should and probably do have the right to modify or change rules based on specific situations to better serve their local dg populations.

That said, I get what you are saying and agree it may not be a good idea.

Is it a big deal? If this were a rule that directly affected any of you it woul be a big deal to you. I think the OP has a good point. If the PDGA can't follow their own rules, how can they expect others to follow. They either need to change the rule for first round card purposes are follow them. Simple.

See the introduction of the Comp Manual

Introduction
The PDGA Competition Manual outlines procedures and guidelines for PDGA events, and is to be used in conjunction with the Official Rules of Play and Tour Standards document. These procedures and guidelines are required for all PDGA sanctioned events unless specified otherwise. If a Tournament Director finds any provision in the document unacceptable a waiver may be requested by contacting the Tour Manager at [email protected] or 706.261.6342.

I have not done a consistency check on this on the entire rules, but in all places I have checked they seem to make a clear distinction between good ideas for competition by use of the word "should" and rules that must be followed by use of the word "will". "Should" is used here.

I didn't think the PDGA ran NTs, anyway. Unless I'm wrong, the issue would not be whether the PDGA follows its rules, but enforces its rules. And if you don't know whether a waiver was requested, you can't even know if that's an issue or not.

I have not done a consistency check on this on the entire rules, but in all places I have checked they seem to make a clear distinction between good ideas for competition by use of the word "should" and rules that must be followed by use of the word "will". "Should" is used here.

Missed the edit window. Replace "will" with "will/shall"

Super groups are good!

I like the idea of the super group as long as it doesnt slow down play for others.

PGA does this as well. The PGA championship has already released pairings and the super group is the last three major champs from this season. Els, Simpson and watson. It attracts interest to the early rounds that not many people really follow.

During worlds i checked in on the scoring of the super group to see how they were doing. I may not have checked scores until the next day if they werent doing that.

Also the rules says Should. My local park has a rule that all kids SHOULD wear a life jacket. I choose not to have my kid wear a life jacket. I have never recieved any warning of violating any rule because the rule is i should.

The OP must have had a bad week and is looking for something to complain about. Who in their right mind would be mad about getting to watch a great group of top pros (when there is coverage)?

The OP must have had a bad week and is looking for something to complain about. Who in their right mind would be mad about getting to watch a great group of top pros (when there is coverage)?

The complaint isn't that the top pros are playing together, it's that the PDGA isn't enforcing it's rules as it should.

This pisses me off so much that it almost makes me want to start a lawsuit against the PDGA. Perhaps all members should have their money refunded since it is apparent that the PDGA does not care about their own rules?

Please do. I'd love to see this.

The PDGA has had a habit of pissing people off over the years. Getting 2 disc golfers, let alone several thousand to agree on anything is virtualy impossible. They have a certain way for determining seedings for rounds, they should adhere to those standards. Is it worth getting upset about? I don't think so. Either that or we just got trolled good!

Super groups have been approved (via waiver) when they have been used. Nothing to complain about here. Likewise, TDs are allowed to mix ams with pros even in different divisions in the first round. There's no statistics indicating it makes any difference in the scores players shoot regardless who is in their group. So there's no advantage for those playing in a super group. It may even be a disadvantage due to media and spectators following them.