• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a reason that the PDGA does not follow rules?

The rule is poorly written, and any court of law would rule that the "Super Groups" are legal, due to the use of the word "should" in the rule instead of "must."

The rule says "should" not must. Any rule containing the word "should" is actually unenforceable, since "should" leaves the impression that it's possible to ignore it.

It's a matter of semantics perhaps but the Super Groups don't violate any pDGA rules.

After round one the groups are grouped by score, so it's not really so traumatic that you need to sue the pDGA.

sometimes I wonder if those super pros give each other super breaks in those super groups.....I mean if you were traveling with your buddies and needed to eat your winnings would you not be somewhat inclined to help one another out?

Same problem with Worlds. Players are grouped into pools based on their players ratings. Yet we all know players ratings are not 100% accurate.

Shouldn't PRO's playing an event be considered as equals prior to an event starting? I know that players are grouped by score after the first round. But shouldn't it be fair that players are grouped randomly as the PDGA suggests for the first round?

I mean it is in the PDGA rules. Why are these rules changed for certain events?

Where is this waiver that I hear about?

I'm not bored, I just think that the PDGA needs to stick with what they say.

I'm just really pissed off at the PDGA's inconsistencies. I love disc golf, I love PDGA events, but I don't like people not following rules that are laid out. Supergroups are cool to watch. It makes it more exciting for the live scoring. But it goes against the spirit of the game. ALL PLAYERS ARE EQUAL. EVERY PLAYER SHOULD BE GROUPED RANDOMLY. If you want to do a REAL live scoring, put a Marshall every 3 or 6 holes and have them get every players score. Not just the supergroup.

If you are going to make rules or suggestions, follow them. Don't make some imaginary WAIVER to change the rules.

C'mon! This argument fails both the "letter of the law only" position AND the "common sense/intent" position. Realistically you're arguing a personal pet peeve or preference -- not a PDGA failure.

It fails on letter of the law, because the rules manual says specifically, "...should be grouped...," "...two methods...," and "...TD's may request a waiver...." So one can easily see why supergroups in the first round ARE within the the letter of the PDGA guidelines (not requirements).

It fails on common sense because for some tournaments, if we would like a different level of media exposure, provide some visible bonus for former champions, and/or increase online viewership and therefore money and therefore exposure and so on..., the TV entities are going to want to negotiate some of the conditions. It happens in sports all the time in the US. TV networks change start times for games, require certain athletes of specific talent or novelty who are being showcased in competition to be held until "prime time," promote certain athletes and not average ones, etc. I mean realistically, how many events have Anna Kornikova and Danica Patrick actually won??? [here's a hint: I can count them on one finger for both put together.] and then how much relative media coverage do/did they get? But that's part of the common sense of trying to increase exposure.

I absolutely respect that such a situation will NEVER occur in an event you run -- even if 10 years from now discgolfplanet.tv was offering a $10,000 donation to your local organization in exchange for one round of a supergroup. People who stand on principles and values absolutely deserve to be heralded for standing on those values. In this case, what I see, though, IS your personal value and NOT a failure on the part of PDGA to follow rules.

P.S. To my knowledge the PDGA only is responsible for hosting a few events per year; the rest are sanctioned by the PDGA but run by a local club. Given this, the rules not be being followed by the PDGA s tremendously over-stated. Remember that your complaint about Worlds was players being assigned to groups by ratings -- yet you quoted a competition manual which states that grouping by ratings is one of the suggested models.

You guys can think I'm whining all you want. I just want to see rules be consistent. No matter what the circumstance.

Really??? That's what you want, that level of black and white with no room for judgment. I have no knowledge of who you are -- you very well may be a top pro & long-time TD and I am just Joe every day weekend warrior new to the sport, but that sounds awfully unrealistic for the state of our sport right now.

Don't get me started on dg planet who breached their contract with us last year. Promoting that they would be at our event. We raise money based on their commitment and then backed out two weeks before the event. Really making our sponsors happy.

And yes what I say may seem trivial but it just doesn't sit well with me. I think all pros should be treated as equals when an event starts. Any round after the first round is based on your play. The first round should not be based on who you are

Just curious Chris - why are you not posting this all on the PDGA discussion board?

I'm not sure why this is directed towards the tournament director(s) that do this. The PDGA is the governing body. They aren't the ones running this event. Why not call the PDGA directly and report the TD to them.
PDGA Memberships
111 Wills Rd Suite A
Alpharetta GA, 30009-3437
Phone: (888) 840-PDGA (7342)

PDGA International Disc Golf Center
Wildwood Park
3828 Dogwood Lane
Appling, GA 30802

Phone: (706) 261-6342
Fax: (706) 261-6347

I do agree with the frustration and have played in a field set like this. It sucks!

my local club allows this for weeklies and it really isn't fair. the President trys to keep the groups random but the 1000 rated guys always play together in a group.

i think the high level guys like it since they get to compete with other great players but sucks for the scrubs trying to get better.

The supergroups are often happening because of DGP.TV. They generally only have one camera out there and they want an interesting group to film for their coverage.

One of our local sourpuss pro's came to his first hole of the tournament whining and complaining about the same exact thing . . . that he didnt get to play with any of the good players in the first round. He made it a few holes into his round and then DNF'd. I'm sure the supergroup appreciated his $150 donation, lol.

On another note, are the rules/suggestions any different for fields that are divided into separate pools? For example this year at Worlds the MA1 field had multiple pools and they grouped the top 40 something rated players in the top pool and then a different method from there on out. Just curious . . .

Of course the few who might see it on PDGA.com could actually do something about it even if they don't engage in thread dialog.

I personally have an issue with it because it certainly goes against the rules. However, I'm sure a waiver was requested and approved.

The only unfairness I can think comes from it as a playing stand point is it's easier to play better with better players.

But in the end, I think it's better that we do it. The groups with the big names are going to get the most viewers and the more viewers we have is a good thing.

But according to rule 1.6 of the PDGA competition manual:

1.6 Grouping and Sectioning

B. All players within a division for the first round should be grouped via two methods:

(1) Random grouping; players within a division may be randomly grouped for the first round.

There's your answer right there Chris. The first round of cards were drawn randomly, and they just so happened to be the 4 previous winners of the event.

Can you prove otherwise?

Judging by the amount of bitching which was reportedly emanating from the 2008 world champion and current BoD member because the supergroup gallery was so distracting him during the first round of Pro Worlds on Tuesday at Renaissance Park, I suspect that this issue may come up for debate at the Fall Summit of Board of Directors. I'm sure they will weigh the benefits of live discgolfplanet.tv coverage and broadcasting a group of players who hundreds if not thousands of folks will want to tune into watch, and in doing so, draw them in for the rest of the week's coverage, over the prima donna needs suffered by the sport's biggest whiner.

We shall see.

There's your answer right there Chris. The first round of cards were drawn randomly, and they just so happened to be the 4 previous winners of the event.

Can you prove otherwise?

I used to seed things randomly using the MS Excel random (RAND) function. I would refresh it and sort the column on it. If we (event staff) saw some situation that we did not like (notoriously slow or contentious players grouped) we would re-randomize and sort. In all of our minds that was still random (and it is).

As you point out, the same could be done and repeated until the lead card was the super group.....it might be on the first try or the 20 millionth, but it could be done.

Judging by the amount of bitching which was reportedly emanating from the 2008 world champion and current BoD member because the supergroup gallery was so distracting him during the first round of Pro Worlds on Tuesday at Renaissance Park

He shot pretty well the first round. Only 2 off the lead. So I find that even more interesting.

Latest posts