• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Island Hole OB

vonDrehle

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
This occurred this weekend and we weren't sure how to rule it.

It was on an Island Hole surrounded by asphalt. The grass area short of the asphalt is in bounds, any asphalt is OB. There is a drop zone if you happen to land on the asphalt. What wasn't discussed in the players meeting, at least that we could remember, was what to do if you hit the Island and pop off. Do you play it like usual OB and place your lie where it was last inbounds or do you use the drop zone?

Another question I have is if you layup short to play it safe and your up shot hits the basket and then rolls OB are you required to use the drop zone or can you go up to where it went out beside the basket?

The rule book says
B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).

Since of the 4 of us in the group, including some1 that had TD's at this particular course, couldn't remember the TD saying anyhthing before hand does the player get their choice as of what to do?

The players book for this hole says
"Road and all areas across the road that are not part of the "Island" are OB. Concrete/Grass line defines boundary"

AFAIK, if the TD has designated a special condition for that hole, that rule is what applies, albeit the rule should be explicitly stated, preferably in literature provided to the players, to alleviate any confusion.

A default assumption on "island holes" with drop zones is that's where you play your next lie if you end up OB, especially off the tee, no matter what route you got there including hitting the island and back into OB. Likewise, once you have safely landed on the island, you do not go to the drop zone if your putt happens to flyby the basket or roll OB. You play it where it went out or sometimes your previous lie depending on where you putted from versus went OB.

I agree with scarpfish. The proper play would be any shot that hits asphalt would be played from the drop zone unless otherwise stipulated.

edit: chuck beat me to it.

A default assumption on "island holes" with drop zones is that's where you play your next lie if you end up OB, especially off the tee, no matter what route you got there including hitting the island and back into OB. Likewise, once you have safely landed on the island, you do not go to the drop zone if your putt happens to flyby the basket or roll OB. You play it where it went out or sometimes your previous lie depending on where you putted from versus went OB.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking with the drives going OB and believe that is how we ended up scoring it. He did play one from the Drop Zone and one from where it went out just in case we weren't right.

My second shot on the hole after laying up went OB, yes very upsetting because I could have gone for it from the tee :doh:, and we played it where it went out on the Island. Because I was never actually safely on the island should I have played from the Drop Zone even though it was my second shot that went OB?

Last edited:
Unless specifically stated otherwise play it from the island as OB. Take it from where it went out, even on the drive. That might not be what the TD had in mind but it's not your fault that it wasn't stated clearly in the players meeting or literature.

Damn....that island hole got you. Most of the pros I followed around filming shot it safe then threw over for the par.

I would think any part of that island should be in bounds since the outer edge of the island is made of asphalt and it is technically not part of the street.

Let's say if that island had a wood/log/timber/concrete edge? If you land on the wood or concrete edge would it be in bounds?

As far as where you shoot if your 2+ shot goes OB...I'm not sure. How is it at other courses with a drop zone?

Damn....that island hole got you. Most of the pros I followed around filming shot it safe then threw over for the par.

I would think any part of that island should be in bounds since the outer edge of the island is made of asphalt and it is technically not part of the street.

Let's say if that island had a wood/log/timber/concrete edge? If you land on the wood or concrete edge would it be in bounds?

As far as where you shoot if your 2+ shot goes OB...I'm not sure. How is it at other courses with a drop zone?

Yeah, even after laying up safe and going for three I manged to grab some basket and roll OB :(. Wish I had played the course before hand there were a lot of holes were I took safer routes because I just wasn't sure what I could do on the hole.

Normally if you toss a putt and it hits the basket and rolls OB you can either replay from your previous spot or play it where it went out. With a drop zone I would imagine after the initial drive it is an optional option not automatic. Just can't find that info listed anywhere lol.

Agreed.

If you have a drop zone you have to play it from there in all cases except when you are taking a shot from the island and goes OB.

Hitting the basket and rolling OB is no different than throwing it across the island on the fly - it never came to rest in bounds so you use the drop zone.

Agreed.

If you have a drop zone you have to play it from there in all cases except when you are taking a shot from the island and goes OB.

Hitting the basket and rolling OB is no different than throwing it across the island on the fly - it never came to rest in bounds so you use the drop zone.

If that's the case we ruled my second shot the first round incorrectly :confused:. Played an awful second round and didn't cash so really no harm no foul. :|

We have an island hole at my local course. Albeit quite different than this hole. The island is reachable from the teepad, when we play it in league it's always a re-throw if you miss. However once you're on the island if your putt happens to travel off the island you re-throw from where it lands with a one stroke penalty.

Like I said quite different from your hole I'm sure but hopefully that sheds a little light on the subject.

We have a temp island hole that we only use for tourneys. If you're OB on the drive ONLY you go to the drop zone. All other subsequent errant shots are played as normal OB, marked where the disc was last inbounds.

We have a temp island hole that we only use for tourneys. If you're OB on the drive ONLY you go to the drop zone. All other subsequent errant shots are played as normal OB, marked where the disc was last inbounds.

We play one like this at Stoney Hill. We used to play "Drop Zone 'til you land one safe", but it resulted in some dreadful scores.

Special Provisions, including or maybe particularly island holes, give TDs a great opportunity to make a mess of things. We try to make it very clear, and even write it down very clearly so, we think, no one can get it wrong. But we screw up the wording or people don't pay attention at the meeting and, presto, misplayed holes.

But I still love'em, and we're keeping ours. And I cross my fingers that players AT LEAST play provisionals.

Latest posts