• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's time for a new bag

magilla311

We're coming into the final moments of my Voodoo Mojo's career. I'm ready for a new bag, but I don't know which one to buy, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm torn between the PF Contender, Grip A, & Golf Mahal.

How much extra stuff/discs do you plan to carry? All three of those bags have fairly extensive threads so what is it about each one that you like?

Help us help you.

Are we.working within a budget today?
What do you feel comfortable paying a month?
Can you really put a price on happiness?
Do you agree to buy this bag today if we come to a price you can agree with?

$250 for the Mahal is as high as I want to go. I considered going with a custom bag, but i don't want to have to wait. The Mojo I carry is about 5 discs too small. I don't carry a lot of extra gear, but I like having options. I didnt know if anyone had owned or has experience with all 3 without me having to search all threads. Basically, I'm lazy.

The Contender is the cheapest monetarily and is of superb quality and feels so great on. Strangers have complimented me on my bag a number of times and owners of Rangers and Grip Bags have said the quality was equal. I love my bag so much.

I have had 2 different grip bags and I currently have a Mahal, I like the Mahal better for how it feels on my back and over all storage in the bag. I carry 15 in my main compartment and 2 putters at all time then on a normal basis those huge side pockets I just collaps down, and put in towels and snacks in there. But for bigger tournaments ill throw in a extra water disc or 2 and it hold my hoodie great.

I have all three. I prefer the Contender, largely because I find it easier to get discs at the edge out, and because it has more storage at the top with the external putter pocket. You give up a little of the side storage (I like putting my approach putter in one of the side pockets - the second runs have a zipper there for storage which just about equals the Grip's) but I like the convenience. And the top storage area remains large.

The Golf Mahal I consider a pack for a day when I'm playing a BUNCH of new courses. I don't need to carry 32 discs or whatever, so if I'm going on a longer trip or playing a lot of new places where I'm not sure, I'll pack a few extras of my favorite molds. I've never been one to pack heavily (extra clothes), but if you are sensitive to temperature ranges and like to take a sweatshirt on or off, the side pouches (or one of them) on the GM can obviously take an extra pair of clothes.

The GM stores more, but it's not as much as you might think, because the "top and side storage" on the Grip and the Contender are just moved down and to the sides of the GM.

Lastly, I sense no real difference in comfort. Sometimes the GM feels a bit better, sometimes the width makes it a bit more of a burden to put on. I often walk with just one shoulder in, so the GM loses out here as it's really built for a bit of a longer walk. It's not as "easy on, easy off" as the more traditional backpack style bags.

I like the rain covers in the Grip and the GM. The Contender is waterproof but you've still got an external putter pocket. Still, if I cared that much, a plastic sheet would work in a pinch.

I know that probably doesn't help you, since I basically said I like all three. Between the Grip and the Contender I slightly prefer the Grip (the storage simply works better for me, and the ease of disc access at the edges), but between the Grip/Contender and the GM, it's really about what you want to do, how you play, the plastic and stuff you carry, etc.

I have the Catalyst on the way, too, because I'm looking for a slightly smaller bag than the Contender/Grip without the discs rattling around. It'll probably replace my Fade Crunch Box. :)

Speaking from my personal experience, I much preferred the grip over the mahal. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got the Grip.

I just got an Ergo 2, but have only played a couple rounds with it so far. I would look into it, it's 190 shipped vs 250 for the grip and 270 for the mahal. My first impression is that it's really comfortable, but I'm still sorting out the best way to carry my stuff.

normally I would suggest a contender. however seeing you have a mojo and the contenders aren't available to order currently. I am going to suggest a salient catalyst. it will be cheaper than a contender with the same great build quality and comfort and lots of extra storage and disc organization options. trust me on this one, go for a catalyst

We're coming into the final moments of my Voodoo Mojo's career. I'm ready for a new bag, but I don't know which one to buy, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm torn between the PF Contender, Grip A, & Golf Mahal.

What's wrong with your Mojo. Couldn't of had it more than 2-3 years.

My mojo is just a little smaller than I'd like. It's seen approximately 1200 rounds in the last couple years & has definitely held up well. The mesh backing over the padding is tearing & I'm not sure if it's covered under warranty. I was considering buying a Spinal Tap, but after reading about all of the quality issues with them, I've decided against it.The Contender looks like it could be cheaply put together, & the Mahal seems like it could be a little large. I'm leaning more & more torwards a grip. Is there anything about the new grips that anyone absolutely hates?

My mojo is just a little smaller than I'd like. It's seen approximately 1200 rounds in the last couple years & has definitely held up well. The mesh backing over the padding is tearing & I'm not sure if it's covered under warranty. I was considering buying a Spinal Tap, but after reading about all of the quality issues with them, I've decided against it.The Contender looks like it could be cheaply put together, & the Mahal seems like it could be a little large. I'm leaning more & more torwards a grip. Is there anything about the new grips that anyone absolutely hates?

if you are leaning towards a grip, research the catalyst. that's all I'm gonna say. grip owners can chime in. if you have any questions about the catalyst let me know

But there aren't any satisfied/dissatisfied customers that can give real life experience stories about it. If you'e even considering the Catalyst, I'd recommend waiting until the pre-order customers receive theirs (whenever that may be) to see what they like/dislike once they're holding them in their hands and have a chance to play a few rounds with it.

Good deal on black and black/gray grips right now (or yesterday at least). $222

Nice deal. :thmbup:

I am very happy I got my Grip L-series for $200 before the A-series came out and the price went up to $252. Personally I thought that was a little on the high side despite how much I enjoy and love my Grip bag. Great bag regardless of price, just a much easier decision when it was just $200.

Grip. /thread. Ive had mine for over a year, and i dont exactly baby my equipment. Looks just like the day i bought it, save from a little dirt on the rails. go with the established company who has their kinks worked out. the mahal is a nice bag, but its a backpack adapted for disc golf. i cant speak for salient, but you cant go by how the contender was made, because that was a physical flight bag. salient is a different entity, with different suppliers and manufacturers. if you are interested in that bag, I would definitely recommend waiting until after the first release bags have been in hand and reviewed. Inevitably, small (or major) things that are wrong with the first run bags will be addressed in future runs as with almost every bag on the market right now (grip, ergo1/2, chally/contender, etc).

Considering you can get a new Grip for 222 shipped right now, that has to be the choice. Their customer service is solid. Their bags are the best you can buy right now. They've been around long enough to have fixed a lot of the issues you'd see with other bags.

Sidenote to DG, I thought the Catalyst was a "smaller backpack bag." He wants more storage. Like, 5 more than a mojo, so he wants to carry 20-22. That's a grip for you.

Latest posts