• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's time for a new bag

Considering you can get a new Grip for 222 shipped right now, that has to be the choice. Their customer service is solid. Their bags are the best you can buy right now. They've been around long enough to have fixed a lot of the issues you'd see with other bags.

Sidenote to DG, I thought the Catalyst was a "smaller backpack bag." He wants more storage. Like, 5 more than a mojo, so he wants to carry 20-22. That's a grip for you.

it's deceptively small. the main can hold any where from 12 to 18, 18 being the max but the bag can hold up to 25 discs with still having the ability to store a lot of extra things

I guess.

When I look at getting new stuff, I don't usually count the "side storage." If I know how many I wanna carry, I want the bag to actually carry that many.

the side storage has 2 compartments. one disc size and one for actual extra items. it makes the bag versatile for either casual rounds or for tourney rounds if the player is like that. I am one of those people. I will most likely keep 18 discs with me for casual rounds but will keep spares with me on tourney days. also the go get it storage can hold 4 drivers and the top zipper pocket can hold two putters. lots of ways to organize discs

Considering you can get a new Grip for 222 shipped right now, that has to be the choice. Their customer service is solid. Their bags are the best you can buy right now. They've been around long enough to have fixed a lot of the issues you'd see with other bags.

Sidenote to DG, I thought the Catalyst was a "smaller backpack bag." He wants more storage. Like, 5 more than a mojo, so he wants to carry 20-22. That's a grip for you.

I agree here. I feel like a lot of people don't go grip bc it is the mainstream bag at this point. I've had mine for a while now and can't complain about a thing besides it falling over occasionally. A buddy if mine just bought a ranger two months ago and the bottom has already wore out. The grip is a well designed, tank of a bag. You won't regret it.

Grip or Mahal. Both are the most comfortable bags on the market and the highest quality. Just choose how many discs you want to carry and make your choice from there.

Rangers still need some upgrades before I would suggest someone to get one.

Spinal Tap as well needs a few quality upgrades before I would suggest it.

No Excuses makes some really nice quality bags that you can customize.

Gorrilla Boy Simian - You can sit on it but you cajnt carry that many discs and its not the comfiest or the best looking.

And the Catalyst. Lol. The bag isnt even tested by the masses yet. Id stay away from it just for that fact and others as well.

IMO Get a grip. Holds plenty of discs (I keep the amount of discs i have in my bag in check using the grip) , plenty of room for stuff needed for casual rounds and even tourneys, Great build quality (i'm rough on my bag and there's been no problems yet) , superb styling , etc.

I agree here. I feel like a lot of people don't go grip bc it is the mainstream bag at this point. I've had mine for a while now and can't complain about a thing besides it falling over occasionally. A buddy if mine just bought a ranger two months ago and the bottom has already wore out. The grip is a well designed, tank of a bag. You won't regret it.

haha Disc Golf Hipsters, in the sport of Disc Golf things are "Mainstream" for a reason , and that reason is quality.

I own a Mahal and it is a truly great bag. Really the best back pack I have ever owned

That said, this year I was able to pick up a very lightly used Prodiscus and there is so much I like about this bag over the Mahal. Its the new tourny bag. Tight design and only lacking in D-rings (needs more attachment points)

Both are expensive. Both will last a long long time

I can certainly get alot more in my prodiscuc than the Grip bags can. The ProD is better built and more comfortable to carry. If you don't pack it to the brim then it is super easy to find stuff in.

Spinal Tap - I've heard about a lot of quailty issues with on DGCR. My friend has one & the strap ripped in a month. Normally Voodoo has great bags but I don't recommend this one.

Simian - I agree with what horsman said. The seat is nice but it doesn't hold many discs & its comfort isn't on par with like likes of the Ergo, Grip, Prodiscus ect.

Catalyst - its untested & unprooven by the masses. I don't like buying first run bags, I'd rather have other people be the Guinea Pigs. In general I like to go with tried & true bag companies & bags.

Ranger - Its an alright bag but I'd say its a little expensive for its quality. It only has one place to hold an umbrella or stool unlike most backpack bags. It isn't made out of as good of materials as the Grip, Ergo, GM, Prodiscus & other backpack bags. It also doesn't have a rainfly & the bottom of the bag isn't even close to the durability of a Grip or GM. All in all I think its worth just spending another 50-75 dollars on a bag that will last twice as long & have more bells & whistels.

Ergo - Made out of great materials, unique storage with multiple ways to set it up & a very solid bag overall. Its got more than enough disc & extra storage. I dislike the rainfly with the hood but it isn't a bad rainfly overall. The newest Ergo is better than the old one but they both are great. In the top three bags on the market IMO.

Golf Mahal - Tried & true bag that been out for some time now. Made out of great materials & is designed well. Can be collapsed for times when less discs/extras are needed. Has more than enough discs & storage space. Made for people who carry a lot of discs, food, clothes, drinks ect. In the top three bags on the market IMO.

Grip A-Series - amazing bag that is tried & true from a tried & true company. Top three bags on the market in my opinion. Has decent storage & is the perfect bag for people who carry around twenty discs. Great design & quality materials. The rainfly is awesome in the rain. Grip pays attention to detail better than most if not all bag companies. They also listen to their customers. The L-Series main complaint was it fell ovet on inclines easily so they fixed that on the A-Series. Grip even improved things that I would of never thought needed improvment like lowering the backstraps compared to the L-Series. It has some of the same components as other top bags but Grip did them better. For example the handle for carrying the bag short distances is made out of better materials than the Ergos & is intagrated right into the backstraps. Also the Grips rainfly is better than tbe Ergos. I think most backpack bags are ugly but the Grip looks sleek & professional. Overall its the best bag I've ever owned & if I ever need a new bag Grip will be getting my money.

I recommend the Grip especially because the grey & black A-Series is on sale. If you for some reason dislike the Grip I'd recommend the Ergo or GM.

thanks for all the advice guys. I think Ive decided to go with a Grip. Now, who wants to donate to the "buy me a grip" fund?

Has anyone ever weighed these bags empty?
Grip L-Series, Ergo, Mahal or others?
Obviously comfort and design is important, but I never hear about the empty weight of the bags.
Is this documented anywhere?

Has anyone ever weighed these bags empty?
Grip L-Series, Ergo, Mahal or others?
Obviously comfort and design is important, but I never hear about the empty weight of the bags.
Is this documented anywhere?

Its says on there website when you look under details. I know the Mahal is on there site just went to look for grips and used to be but cant find it now but it hough it might of used to be 4lbs.
MAHAL - 4lbs 8oz.
GRIP - 4lbs... ???? cant remember.

Bought a Grip A-Series today...

I pulled the trigger on the $222.00 and it included free shipping which was a surprise. I currently own a 1st run Physical Flight Contender, but have it sold I believe. I love the bag for it's sturdiness and roominess, but it's by no means comfortable. My caddy (read that as wife) refuses to wear it. The material are of such a strong grade that they feel "rough" to me. It's indestructable, but not comfortable. I always know it's on my back.

I tried on somebody's A-Series and it was like putting on house shoes... so that's my comparison... steel-toed boots vs. slippers. I think the bottom feet will protect the bottom better as well. The Contender feet really provide nothing to the equation.

So while I'm not at all unhappy with my Contender, I truly am excited about my GripEQ becoming the last bag I own for quite some time... that makes 6 now in my short 1.5 years of playing.