• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's worse that I thought....

Redshirt

I finally took some video of myself and was amazed at how bad it looked so I'm here for help. When I throw it feels like I'm doing things correct but obviously not.

A few thing's I see wrong:
1. I'm rotating on the ball's of my feet instead of the heel.
2. My stance is more open then it should
3. On my run-up my step is too short with what looks like little weight transfer.
4. On my run-up I'm releasing at a hyzer and everythings fading out. I do like to throw a lot of US stuff so that may be part of the problem.
5. My standstill shot's have a better line so my run-up is messing me up. (There is a pretty strong R to L wind in the vid's that's making things worse, but the problem is still there.)

Anything I missed?

I have a video of stand-still shots and one of my run-up to compare. (They are a little long for here probably but I'm too lazy to make shorter one's. :) Just took these for my own use.)

Thanks for any advice.

No expert tips here, but to my eyes things are looking fairly good. Your stand still looks better than your run up, and it also looks like you're throwing slightly nose up which is probably zapping a bit of your max d potential.

Watching the video again I really see what your saying about nose angle. I'll try to work on that this week.

Thaks for the advice.

I agree with your assessment definitely too open stance and what discfifty said about your disc to forearm alignment. Your throwing shoulder and arm are too high because your because your balance to too far behind your heels and you lean over the rear leg instead of turning into it more upright/athletic in posture, and you end up swinging from high to low with the nose up, otherwise if the disc was aligned correctly you would be throwing straight into the ground.

X-step you turn backward too early, so you are dragging the disc forward before the actually throw and losing a ton of acceleration and rhythm. I keep my arm straight in the backswing, because I make the disc heavy like a sledgehammer. Your backswing is like the disc weighs nothing, so you over heave and lose your posture.

Standstill as well as x-step you are pushing off your rear heel instead of from rear the toes/instep. You need to keep your weight more in-between/inside your insides of your feet both feet more like a skier making a turn. Your weight gets to the outside where you would face plant.

Thanks Sidewinder, lots of good advice there. I went out in the rain today and tried to work on closing my stance and working on my run-up. It's a big change but I was encouraged with the results so far. I'll keep at it.

Herky jerky! Slow down and be smooth! You are moving too fast early to really accelerate at the end. Your shoulder is way open when you plant so your arm swing is way short.

yah, that last video looks like you're energy level would die out after 9 holes or so. Looks like you're really "power throwing" the hell out of the disc. Totally agree with SW. (Love his vids, especially the door frame exercises, changed alot in my game...quickly!! Thanks SW!!)

Slow way down....be as smooth as possible. You'll be surprised how far the disc can go at 50-60% power if your form is dialed in.

Latest posts