• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacky Chen - Winner of 2020 Asia Open

Yeah, looking at the actual round ratings there was probably nine hole round which messed up ratings, there are no ratings available for that round when you look at the actual tournament.

Yeah, PDGA Facebook posted that Jacky's 1040 is a record and the guy with the error 1041 initial rating is posting on there defending his record 😂.

For 2 rounds, it says his final score is 80. 26+44 = 70. Likely should have actually been 26+54 = 80. That would have put the round at around 926 rating instead of 1041

Well I had a back and forth with him and his buddy on instagram. Apparently the 80 was the typo and he did shoot a hot round that day.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 131
This dude rolls out of bed and he's already better than Dustin Keegan.

The two constants of DGCR: Streets' over the top hate of all things Trilogy, and your over the top hate of Dustin Keegan. The difference being yours is really funny

Terry Miller noted on Reddit that Jacky throws mostly Innova, with some Discraft mixed in. You'd have to imagine that those two will go to a bidding war to sponsor him.

From what I see on the front nine:
- Smooth swing, good arm speed, nice angle control. Regularly the furthest thrower on the card, though not by staggering amounts. Doesn't seem like a Simon or Gurthie-style aggressive or creative crusher, he followed the same lines as everyone else. Worth noting that Conrad in particular was probably curbed short here by the uphill and natural teepads.
- Seems like a very good putter, made multiple impressive circle 2 putts here.
- Only saw one forehand, on a short chip approach.
- Maybe the course is harder than it appears on camera, but Conrad/Philo/Perkins/Manabu don't seem to be playing all that well. As a result, I have a harder time gauging Jacky's true level. Even if we completely ignore ratings, I think it's still fair to say that he's one of the highest-level introductions we've ever had to the sport.

Terry Miller noted on Reddit that Jacky throws mostly Innova, with some Discraft mixed in. You'd have to imagine that those two will go to a bidding war to sponsor him.
Discmania or Prodigy might also jump in due to working with Asian disc manufacturers.

Well okay, on the back 9 he parks a 360 ft forehand hyzer, so that's clearly not a limitation. Plays a little shakier on the back overall though.

Side note, wasn't aware that Philo is eligible for Masters divisions this year. Says he'll play Tim Selinski and Pro Masters Worlds, but will otherwise stay in Open.

Sponsorship deals assumes the guy wants to fly to the USA and spend half his year here playing the tour and selling discs.

Sponsorship deals assumes the guy wants to fly to the USA and spend half his year here playing the tour and selling discs.

Asia is a lot bigger than the USA. In the long run, he might be more valuable getting things started there.

- Maybe the course is harder than it appears on camera, but Conrad/Philo/Perkins/Manabu don't seem to be playing all that well. As a result, I have a harder time gauging Jacky's true level. Even if we completely ignore ratings, I think it's still fair to say that he's one of the highest-level introductions we've ever had to the sport.

There was quite a lot of unpredictable wind.
The design at the Asia Open course was very wide open. It would be fun to see Jacky tackle some courses with tighter fairways and more going on by way of low ceilings etc. I hope he takes the time to get Stateside for a few events. If he's going to do it, it's probably a good time based on age and he's not stuck into a career yet.

I don't quite understand the statement here, "Jacky Chen is definitely on [Innova's] books for a pick-up."

Does that mean he's officially sponsored by Innova now, or soon will be? Or just Innova confirming that they've reached out to him?

On the books means it's supposed to happen, in the books means it's a done deal. I.....think. lol...

Latest posts