• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacky Chen - Winner of 2020 Asia Open

Looks like Jacky will be competing in a tournament next weekend, the Taiwan National, his first since the breakout Asia Open win back in Feb.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/47381

And quite literally his 3rd PDGA event......ever. Has to be the quickest rise to 1040 in PDGA documented history. Ratings wise it certainly makes sense to hone in the skills before playing rated rounds. Maybe he has a master plan and everything is proceeding as planned. lol.. (get good, win a tournament, get high rating, get sponsored) ;)

And quite literally his 3rd PDGA event......ever. Has to be the quickest rise to 1040 in PDGA documented history. Ratings wise it certainly makes sense to hone in the skills before playing rated rounds. Maybe he has a master plan and everything is proceeding as planned. lol.. (get good, win a tournament, get high rating, get sponsored) ;)

https://www.pdga.com/player/128836/details
Jacky Chen, 1040 initial rating, Feb 2020

https://www.pdga.com/player/40214/history
Wes Mauney, 1041 initial rating, July 2009

Ratings are gonna be a nightmare for that tournament. 1 propagator, 13 players who have a rating at all.

I had to look up what happens in cases like this. From the PDGA Ratings System Guide:

The ratings team uses a manual process to produce ratings when there are fewer than 5 or even no propagators.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on the unofficial vs. official ratings then.

Last edited:
Tournament got bumped to January. Local government group came in with about 500 people to camp out at the venue the TDGA was scheduled to use. Not much the TDGA or the owners of the camp ground could do. Rescheduled to January 9-10. TD has not updated the date on the PDGA website yet.
But yeah, ratings are going to be a bit weird. My friends and are are all really curious what's going to happen to Jacky's and our ratings. A few of the better players don't even have PDGA numbers or ratings either so that won't do him any favors. I'd love to have more PDGA sanctioned events here but the TDGA doesn't really see it as a huge priority at this point. Not sure if that would be better or worse for Jacky though. Covid really screwed him over, along with the rest of the pro tour, making it pretty unrealistic for him to hit up a few of the bigger tournaments.
There is footage of Avery and Manibu playing in the tournaments final 9 holes on a card of 4. I'll see if I can find it.

Tournament got bumped to January. Local government group came in with about 500 people to camp out at the venue the TDGA was scheduled to use. Not much the TDGA or the owners of the camp ground could do. Rescheduled to January 9-10. TD has not updated the date on the PDGA website yet.
But yeah, ratings are going to be a bit weird. My friends and are are all really curious what's going to happen to Jacky's and our ratings. A few of the better players don't even have PDGA numbers or ratings either so that won't do him any favors. I'd love to have more PDGA sanctioned events here but the TDGA doesn't really see it as a huge priority at this point. Not sure if that would be better or worse for Jacky though. Covid really screwed him over, along with the rest of the pro tour, making it pretty unrealistic for him to hit up a few of the bigger tournaments.
There is footage of Avery and Manibu playing in the tournaments final 9 holes on a card of 4. I'll see if I can find it.

Where is the course? I plan to bring some discs for the next business trip to Taipei in 2021.

Where is the course? I plan to bring some discs for the next business trip to Taipei in 2021.

The course for this tournament is a pop up course near Fulong Beach at the Longmen Camp ground.
However, there is at least one permanent course in Taipei maybe 2. I believe U Disc has them listed. They're in Banqiao district. There are some facebook groups that have some members who'd likely be willing to show you around if you reached out. I'd do it myself but I do not live in Taipei.

Do you know....
Is Jacky planning on making disc golf a priority in his life? A career? Or is he going to be more like David Wiggins with a focus on a more traditional job/training, and owning everyone at disc golf when its convenient?

Do you know....
Is Jacky planning on making disc golf a priority in his life? A career? Or is he going to be more like David Wiggins with a focus on a more traditional job/training, and owning everyone at disc golf when its convenient?

I don't talk to Jacky a ton, my mandarin is terrible. From what I understand through mutual friends he wants DG to be a priority. Covid is making that very challenging.
Everything was in place for him to make it stateside for some tournaments and do some touring. For the time being he's dominating the local scene at the monthly tournaments. Japan Open is also on his radar and I believe he's planning on being there 2021.

Based on the ratings pool, he's going to need to win by a decent margin to shoot his rating or better.

https://www.pdga.com/player/128836/details
Jacky Chen, 1040 initial rating, Feb 2020

https://www.pdga.com/player/40214/history
Wes Mauney, 1041 initial rating, July 2009
Dig a little deeper and you'll see that Wes got his 1041 rating based on one round in intermediate. While yes, technically history will say he has a 1040+ initial rating, evidence suggests that it was a fluke of the ratings system and not legit.
There's already been some discussion of this earlier in the thread...
Well I had a back and forth with him and his buddy on instagram. Apparently the 80 was the typo and he did shoot a hot round that day.
Sounds like he shot super hot.

Based on the ratings pool, he's going to need to win by a decent margin to shoot his rating or better.

And I'm afraid those of us who do have a PDGA # are not going to be terribly helpful.

I really hope he gets the opportunity to come stateside and compete. It would be great to see another Elite player join the ranks!

We really hope he gets to go too. We really want to see him tackle some of the pro level courses over there.

event canceled per PDGA tour schedule page.

I'm sure it'll reappear in January. However, I will be messaging the TD to make sure they don't forget. That would be a very TDGA thing to do.

Latest posts