• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jealousy?

MDR_3000 said:
I love it when people run off at the mouth in competition.

People who talk shit are funny to me: If they are spending that much time trying to get me off my game (and a little shit talking isn't going to do that :p ) then they are spending that much less time focusing on theirs. People around here don't really do that, but if someone starts talking crap I - more often than not - beat them.

I have a friend who plays poker like that. He's read all the books, knows the perfect bet to represent all the hands, knows all the percentages by heart, and is also full of shit. When we play we'll inevitably get the same fit of "You only had a pair? You shouldn't have called that!" after he loses a hand. If you've ever seen "The grand" He's like the guy who says "If people played correctly I would win every time".

You could have always stopped playing with them, if dude was bugging you so much. If you needed an excuse, you could've told 'em your foot was bothering you and you wanted to sit a while and let them get ahead. Honestly, I go out to relax with my friends, or to chill by myself. If dude was wrecking your vibe, then I would have said "see ya".

JohnnyB said:
I have a friend who plays poker like that. He's read all the books, knows the perfect bet to represent all the hands, knows all the percentages by heart, and is also full of shit. When we play we'll inevitably get the same fit of "You only had a pair? You shouldn't have called that!" after he loses a hand. If you've ever seen "The grand" He's like the guy who says "If people played correctly I would win every time".

Anyone who has watched much WSOP on TV probably automatically thought "Phil Hellmuth!" when they read your post.

When ever I play with a group, or in a tournament, I always try to act very humble. Even if I make a really cool shot, I act suprised. I figure that way, if I make a really lousy shot, ( and it will happen) I won't look like a jack ass.

Midnightbiker said:
When ever I play with a group, or in a tournament, I always try to act very humble. Even if I make a really cool shot, I act suprised. I figure that way, if I make a really lousy shot, ( and it will happen) I won't look like a jack ass.

i do the same but when i make a lousy shot i usually say fuck under my breath. :oops: :lol:

Read my post, I have seen this crap a lot.

There are people like this in every sport/past time/facet of life. People suck, and people do everything, therefore there are people in everything that suck.

Reminds me of when I used to play paintball hardcore. I played for like 8 years - a LOT. I Went from woods recball to speedball tourneys were tempers flared. For the last three years I became jaded with spraying paint everywhere and switched to shooting a phantom(top of the line pump gun) to challenge myself. And I played on the speedball fields with the kids who shot 20+ balls per second and had every peice of matching gear their parents bought them. I rocked a stock-class pump, two tubes of paintballs, and pretty unassuming clothes. The crap that these babies would say when I would stitch them was unbelievable. And it was always from the kids who had the flashiest gear and the worst skill set.

You just have to see it for what it is(jealousy), and let it roll off your back.

I'm surprised this guy was 30 and still acting like this though, with paintball it was basically just the young teen angst that caused a lot of the drama.

I am convinced that there is no other sport that is as jam packed with poor sports as paintball was. Disc golfers(mostly)are way easier to deal with so i'm enjoying it while it lasts - as soon as Johnny Knoxville nails Steve-O in the nads with a distance driver , they will all be jumping over here.

I have never had a problem with getting beat by anyone, even if they are younger than me. Usually, I'm trying to figure out what they're doing which enables them to pull off shots I previously wasn't able to do. I come from a very competitive sports background, but I feel that discgolf just lends itself to being more laid back, hence I'm more laid back.

But, as metioned above me, there are a-holes everywhere no matter what the sport or activity.

sharkthrower said:
I have never had a problem with getting beat by anyone, even if they are younger than me. Usually, I'm trying to figure out what they're doing which enables them to pull off shots I previously wasn't able to do. I come from a very competitive sports background, but I feel that discgolf just lends itself to being more laid back, hence I'm more laid back.

But, as metioned above me, there are a-holes everywhere no matter what the sport or activity.

I'm glad when younger people beat me. I mean they have to be competitive. Not like I'm hot shit or anything. But just because that. I'm not yet hard to beat so if someone wants to be good I should be one of the first :-( stepping stones on the people to beat. There are some younger people here that win against me so I wouldn't say mission accomplished because of me but a good start to them. And I'll get you yet if I won't stiffen up before I recuperate and get to practice better.

Luke,

As someone who has been observing people for close to six decades, and leading people for 35+ of those years, I will say that if you were my third son, I would tell you how proud I am of how you acted and how you are now thinking about this.

As DGers, we're about the same age, and as a fellow intermediate, I'd say your game improved immensely during that round, and only partly because of how well you shot. Feel fortunate you were confronted with such a sniveling pinhead. What you learned from it, and about yourself, will gird you for encounters yet to come. While I love fellow-Charlottean Ric as much as anybody ("To be The Man, you got to beat The Man"), you would have left a trash-talking, confrontational round with far less takeaway.

Small-minded people belittle others to make their pitiable selves feel bigger. You did the right thing. And when you finished that round, everyone you played with knew it, except the dick, who at some point in his unrewarding life will shrivel to inconsequence.

Jim

I remember joining a couple of young guys one day when I was playing alone. These guys were about 20-21. This one guy was only about 5'8 and a little chubby, and he was throwing one birdie after the next. My reaction was -----> :shock: . He finished the round 12 under par. He must have rubbed off on me, because I shot my best round ever at 6 under.

Who knows he might have had a bad day outside of disc golf. Regardless, a person shouldn't be dissing on anybody's game, especially if they beat you.

Latest posts