• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JK Aviar - r-pro?

This could have come from JK herself? Perhaps she prefers this plastic, or it might have been a managerial decision. Perhaps she thinks this improves upon it instead of destroying it. It's all personal preference. But, to ultimatly say the plastic is crap, I think it serves it's purpose very well for putters.

Lithicon said:
riverboy said:
Lithicon said:
What do you mean the durability? Unless you're full forcing driving these into a tree from 5'. R-pro has immense durabilty.
I use 175 R-Pro's for driving and approaching, and even in some of the rockiest places has never gouged out like DX plastic. The most I've seen is scuffs and a few little scratch marks from tree's and rocks. I don't see how anyone can say R-pro is less durable than DX. R-pro always goes back to it's shape, and doesn't lose dome either. I know some of these other plastics do.
Lucky you. For putting R-pro holds up fine but if you drive with it you can expect some rather quick beat downs. And if possible I like to drive with putters.

Lol, perhaps you're not reading everything. I say in this post that I clearly use R-Pro's for driving.
I read it. I suppose I should have put in my experience R-pro is crap for driving with.

riverboy said:
I like soft putters but I was disappointed in the feel and durability of R-pro. So I agree with the majority that R-pro=shit. FLX=R-pro. :|

FLX = R-pro?? Are you crazy???? I am not the biggest fan of soft putters(for putting at least), but I switched out all of my 1st run and midnight buzzzes for FLX buzzzes. They are amazing. Can't say much about the other molds in FLX, but from someone who has thrown buzzzes since they came out the FLX version is just as good as the other plastics.

Lithicon said:
This could have come from JK herself? Perhaps she prefers this plastic, or it might have been a managerial decision. Perhaps she thinks this improves upon it instead of destroying it. It's all personal preference. But, to ultimatly say the plastic is crap, I think it serves it's purpose very well for putters.
I believe when they were phasing out regular pro due to limited availability they ran it in R-pro and liked how it molded up. Even though the regular pro is available again they most likely are going to keep running it in R-pro. I am pretty sure even Innova's most valued pros have little or nothing to say in plastic runs.

Greatzky said:
riverboy said:
I like soft putters but I was disappointed in the feel and durability of R-pro. So I agree with the majority that R-pro=shit. FLX=R-pro. :|

FLX = R-pro?? Are you crazy???? I am not the biggest fan of soft putters(for putting at least), but I switched out all of my 1st run and midnight buzzzes for FLX buzzzes. They are amazing. Can't say much about the other molds in FLX, but from someone who has thrown buzzzes since they came out the FLX version is just as good as the other plastics.
I have never thrown the FLX buzzz but in other cases my FLX discs magically turn squirrely one day. A bit different from the way R-pro beats, but Neither is very good IMO. My experience comes from FLX challengers and FLX predators mostly.

I've thrown FLX buzzes and FLX preds, and threw another FLX disc. But, FLX holds their flight for a long time. I gave up the buzz, but my Preds start out SUPER over stable and even my 3 year old Pred is still over stable, and still very stable in the wind. First ace disc as well, and this thing has gone through hell. And, still flies amazing.

But, soft plastics in drivers and putters is a completely different world. I still like a "softer" driver, but of course completely floppy drivers hurt you. But, R-pro isn't droopy floppy. It's stiff enough to hold, but soft enough to grab. I haven't got to try FLX putters, but I'd like to try them just for comparison. I love FLX plastic.

riverboy said:
Greatzky said:
riverboy said:

I have never thrown the FLX buzzz but in other cases my FLX discs magically turn squirrely one day. A bit different from the way R-pro beats, but Neither is very good IMO. My experience comes from FLX challengers and FLX predators mostly.

gotcha.. i do want to try out some of the FLX drivers just to see how they beat...
on another note.. I haven't tried anything in R-Pro yet.. it also kinda stinks that the JK is in R-pro now, but it could just be a price thing or an availability. when they ran out of CE plastic they ran Champion which was also less expensive.

I'd rather throw a sheet of notebook paper than FLX when it's 100 degrees out. Might be just as consistent. I'm sure you cold weather guys love FLX but down here in GA, when it's 100 degrees out, FLX is so floppy it's not even a disc anymore.

DiscDemon25 said:
I'd rather throw a sheet of notebook paper than FLX when it's 100 degrees out. Might be just as consistent. I'm sure you cold weather guys love FLX but down here in GA, when it's 100 degrees out, FLX is so floppy it's not even a disc anymore.

I disagree with you. I also like FLX in cold weather, but I also use it in the summer. I've played down in Florida when it was over 100 and I had no problems with it whatsoever. It gets 90+ in south Jersey too(especially this year where almost every day in the summer was in the 90's) and it didn't bother me at all.

I guess it comes down to the way you throw and/or your preference of feel in your hand, but the discs aren't "so floppy it's not even a disc anymore".

DiscDemon25 said:
As a guy from ND I can honestly say I hate FLX even in winter. :wink:

Greatzky said:
DiscDemon25 said:

I disagree with you. I also like FLX in cold weather, but I also use it in the summer. I've played down in Florida when it was over 100 and I had no problems with it whatsoever. It gets 90+ in south Jersey too(especially this year where almost every day in the summer was in the 90's) and it didn't bother me at all.

I guess it comes down to the way you throw and/or your preference of feel in your hand, but the discs aren't "so floppy it's not even a disc anymore".

Yeah, in TN it's easily over 100 at times down to the teens if not lower, and I've thrown FLX all year round. FLX retains flight characteristics well from what most have said. Everyone says it magically turns crazy unstable one day. But, my Pred for 3 years now has been easily holding strong in any weather. Everyone keeps saying that R-Pro is too floppy, not durable. And, I can take pictures of a white 175 R-Pro dart that is scuffed up and looks like shit, but has nearly no physical damage to the plastic. Other than a few little scratches, and minor nicks, and this thing has been beat against all sorts of things! But, it still flies well and isn't destroyed like DX would be.

nothing wrong with a softer putter in cold/wet conditions inside 40-50 feet, any more force with them on my SSS or a soft magnet and they dont fly right, they flop and flutter, but inside that theyre just as good if not better (not talking R pro specifically, just defending softer putters having a place in someones bag) i prefer a more firm putter from outside that range.

and for the record r pro is shit
dunno bout flx, never actually played a round with a flx plastic disc, but its semi-premium so that means its automatically better than r pro

Roc Lover said:
dunno bout flx, never actually played a round with a flx plastic disc, but its semi-premium so that means its automatically better than r pro

Well if you want to say that then R-Pro is just as good as Flx, it's a semi-premium. From everything I've read about R-pro it's recycled Pro plastic.. So you your theory is invalid. Everyone says the plastic is "shit" for various reasons but can't prove it. I play weekly if not daily with R-pro disc. I know there are some slightly less durable r-pro disc out there. But, the majority are quite durable. Again, when comparing drivers in r-pro, to putters and mids. It's a different world, most people try to compare the drivers to the putters. It's just not the same!

Lithicon said:
Roc Lover said:

Everyone says the plastic is "shit" for various reasons but can't prove it.

A pro I play with from time to time (Matt Orum) told me, "To get better is to play with better players and learn things from them."
I don't see these guys throwing FLX/R-Pro so why should I? No, I'm not saying we're all pro caliber, but if they aren't using it, it obviously isn't what it's cracked up to be.
Even Feldberg said to using stiff/firm putters is the better option and he's won enough tournaments and has sank enough putts for me to trust his word.
If throwing burrito wraps around a course is your idea of great plastic, so be it, to each their own I guess.

That's just it. The disc aren't that floppy. Even the flx stuff. They are much stiffer than people realize, but give when needed. You can argue all day long it's a tortilla, but I have plenty of r-pro disc and unless you sit there and force it to bend, it won't. It's just stiff enough. It doesn't deform sitting there in grip as you're getting ready to throw. It holds it's self up right. And this is even true for the lightest R-pro dart I've been able to find at 165. Which is my main putter.

No, my logic is sound. Pro plastic isn't what I consider to be premium, however much u like it or I like it, its not premium, Not being a base plastic doesn't make u premium. The flx is a floppier esp, esp is a premium plastic. Is r pro good for putting and soft approaches, sure, to a point. Is it going to hold up better than dx? No. This makes it shit. And to my knowlege the r in r pro means rubber, not recycled

Roc Lover said:
No, my logic is sound. Pro plastic isn't what I consider to be premium, however much u like it or I like it, its not premium, Not being a base plastic doesn't make u premium. The flx is a floppier esp, esp is a premium plastic. Is r pro good for putting and soft approaches, sure, to a point. Is it going to hold up better than dx? No. This makes it shit. And to my knowlege the r in r pro means rubber, not recycled

The R in R-Pro stands for shit.

Again, I have not found an R-pro disc yet that is less durable than Dx, UNLESS you're talking about in drivers and that's a different situation. As I stated before. It is far superior to dx, infact I'd almost go as far as to say that it's about the same durability as Pro. The claims of these disc being so poor quality I have yet to see physical proof.

Roc Lover said:

Regardless if the plastic is recycled, or rubber. I quoted you in saying, it's SEMI-premium. The fact still remains PRO is a semi-premium plastic, it lies between base, and premiums. Therefore, SEMI-PREMIUM. Now, if you take R-Pro, it would lie probably just under Pro plastic. Regardless how much I like it or you like it, It is SEMI-premium. I still don't see how you can say it's less durable than DX, as I DX I've had for less than 2 weeks has some pretty deep gouges out of them from hitting tree's. Now, I've had some of these R-Pro disc 4-5 months and they've NEVER taken gouges. Even when driving and approaching. WILL they? Perhaps they might at some point, given the right circumstances. But, to say it's less durable than DX, is almost just absurd.

i highly doubt you tee off on a tree heavy hole with your r pros, why would anyone? and this is why your r pros last longer, not that i throw my dx's at trees, but im less afraid than with any r pro ive had. the fact of the matter is, it is a less durable plastic period, regardless of your opinion, than the dx. if you wanted to take turns throwing them into a brick wall to see which one was mangled faster, i think most people would agree dx would last a bit longer, its more stiff and rigid, and the principal that the r pro takes impacts better because of its flexibility only would apply if the plastic would hold up to the impact (like flx most likely would). I had an r pro boss for 2 hours, hit a tree and a pin, it was forever fucked. 2 impacts at midflight, not like 20 feet away, like 200 and it bent the wing down so bad it flies like an epic now.

I personally feel that the plastic has a place, but its not with a driver, maybe a wet/cold putter would be the only thing that makes sense to me. If you like the plastic, throw it. I dont, so i dont. But im not telling people i dont like it, and making up reasons to support my opinion, they are facts. I like dx plastic, i know its less durable than most plastics, i dont say that it is more durable, but I know what uses it can have, so i use it for that. R pro could have its own specific use, but an off the tee max distance disc is not that purpose IMO.

You get similar grip with dx, and better durability with Pro, so IMO, just use one of those.