• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JK Aviar - r-pro?

Roc Lover said:
i highly doubt you tee off on a tree heavy hole with your r pros, why would anyone? and this is why your r pros last longer, not that i throw my dx's at trees, but im less afraid than with any r pro ive had. the fact of the matter is, it is a less durable plastic period, regardless of your opinion, than the dx. if you wanted to take turns throwing them into a brick wall to see which one was mangled faster, i think most people would agree dx would last a bit longer, its more stiff and rigid, and the principal that the r pro takes impacts better because of its flexibility only would apply if the plastic would hold up to the impact (like flx most likely would). I had an r pro boss for 2 hours, hit a tree and a pin, it was forever fucked. 2 impacts at midflight, not like 20 feet away, like 200 and it bent the wing down so bad it flies like an epic now.

I personally feel that the plastic has a place, but its not with a driver, maybe a wet/cold putter would be the only thing that makes sense to me. If you like the plastic, throw it. I dont, so i dont. But im not telling people i dont like it, and making up reasons to support my opinion, they are facts. I like dx plastic, i know its less durable than most plastics, i dont say that it is more durable, but I know what uses it can have, so i use it for that. R pro could have its own specific use, but an off the tee max distance disc is not that purpose IMO.

You get similar grip with dx, and better durability with Pro, so IMO, just use one of those.

I agree with you on this but my problem with R-Pro lies with consistency, not the durability. I was given an R-Pro Boss in a player's package at an Ice Bowl this past weekend. I cannot get any consistency out out if no matter what, my heavy champ and star bosses fly fine but this 160 gram shit flies like shit. It could be the weight and not the plastic itself but it's the most inconsistent disc I've thrown in a year.

Apparently none of you are reading my post through......
I've stated in nearly probably 4-5 post already comparing the R-pro of the DRIVERS, and the R-Pro of the Mids and putters is a completely different world.

For some reason, and I will agree with you that the R-pro used on the drivers isn't quite as good as the Mids and Putters.
But, you can't compare them. They are night and day. Now I haven't destroyed a Boss in 2 hours, but compared to my putters and the one mid I played with. The plastic is not the same. Both of you stated R-Pro bosses in those posts. While yeah, it's R-Pro. But, I'm going to go back to the putters in saying that isn't what we were really talking about.

Lithicon said:
I've stated in nearly probably 4-5 post already comparing the R-pro of the DRIVERS, and the R-Pro of the Mids and putters is a completely different world.

For some reason, and I will agree with you that the R-pro used on the drivers isn't quite as good as the Mids and Putters.
But, you can't compare them. They are night and day. Now I haven't destroyed a Boss in 2 hours, but compared to my putters and the one mid I played with. The plastic is not the same. Both of you stated R-Pro bosses in those posts. While yeah, it's R-Pro. But, I'm going to go back to the putters in saying that isn't what we were really talking about.

I see your point, I personally have only touched an R-Pro putter once and that was an R-Pro Aviar at an Academy Sport store. While I was tempted to buy it because of how gummy it felt, I thought against it, maybe I'll go back to pick Aviar up just for my own personal experience with one. Don't want a Dart, it's not overstable enough for my putting style. I'll bow out of the debate now though being as I was comparing R-Pro and DX driver consistency.

:)

Lithicon said:

I have read your posts. Durability has still been an issue for me even with putters.

I had an RP putter in my bag for a while, and durability on all fronts was better than DX, similar to driver Pro

Driver R-Pro (Boss) is definitely the least durable plastic I've ever used

IMO the two classes of RP are totally separate blends, one being *horrible* and the other fairly good

lithicon, i sort of agree, but think about what youre saying, what duties due putters aand mids have? theyre never put in the same situations a driver is, therefore they dont get torn up as fast, so the durability you think is there, isnt.

I did however fondle an rpro hydra, thing is beefy as shit, but really, what kind of durability issues are you going to have with a disc you throw 250 max, with a rare possibility of hitting anything very hard?

There are lots of things to hit hard, Tree's. The durability is there. As I mentioned, I did drive with R-Pro putters. So, I do know the durability is there. I wouldn't say these putters or mids are going as fast as an R-Pro Boss. To say their put in the same situation, well not exactly. But, from 5' on 200' power throw. It will easily ding up DX plastic. I've done the same with my R-Pro putters and the few mids I've tried, and got nothing more than scuffs. And, one of my courses play in VERY tough pine tree's the entire course. My DX disc get beat up, but my R-Pro's don't.

To prove this, I'm going to buy a DX Dart, brand new, and a R-Pro Dart, brand new. I'm going to take them and repeat hits on a wall. I'll take the $14 challenge. I really want to see how they fair.
I'm debating about getting the fastest speed disc I can find in R-Pro that has a DX counterpart and doing this test with them as well. But, the fastest I can find is a Cro, with both DX and R-Pro available.

To say that the drivers are of a different quality, I'm not really sure if it's the wing sharpness, the way it molds up, or just the plastic it's self. But, comparing the two is night and day. I had a few R-Pro Boss and I never really took gouges out of them. But, out of the three I had, one of them faired pretty badly in some general use. But, nothing disfiguring even on those. I traded two of them off just recently, and the third I just tossed, cause I didn't want to bother with trying to trade it.

keep us posted on the results, be fair :mrgreen:, pics and what not, video would be better as im sure this test couldnt amount to any more than 5 min of video.

Lithicon said:
There are lots of things to hit hard, Tree's. The durability is there. As I mentioned, I did drive with R-Pro putters. So, I do know the durability is there. I wouldn't say these putters or mids are going as fast as an R-Pro Boss. To say their put in the same situation, well not exactly. But, from 5' on 200' power throw. It will easily ding up DX plastic. I've done the same with my R-Pro putters and the few mids I've tried, and got nothing more than scuffs. And, one of my courses play in VERY tough pine tree's the entire course. My DX disc get beat up, but my R-Pro's don't.

To prove this, I'm going to buy a DX Dart, brand new, and a R-Pro Dart, brand new. I'm going to take them and repeat hits on a wall. I'll take the $14 challenge. I really want to see how they fair.
I'm debating about getting the fastest speed disc I can find in R-Pro that has a DX counterpart and doing this test with them as well. But, the fastest I can find is a Cro, with both DX and R-Pro available.

To say that the drivers are of a different quality, I'm not really sure if it's the wing sharpness, the way it molds up, or just the plastic it's self. But, comparing the two is night and day. I had a few R-Pro Boss and I never really took gouges out of them. But, out of the three I had, one of them faired pretty badly in some general use. But, nothing disfiguring even on those. I traded two of them off just recently, and the third I just tossed, cause I didn't want to bother with trying to trade it.

That's pretty good test because it proves the floppyness. Think it this way: if you throw a towel or a piece of rubber against the wall what happens? And if you throw a rock or something firm against the wall? Every firm plastic will ding and every floppy piece of R-Pro will flex.

Firm disc goes in to the basket. R-Pro goes in to the toilet. Case closed.

Well that's a really funny way to look at. Doesn't make much sense, but if you say so. You're entitled to your opinion, right or wrong as it may be. They still take a significant impact, and it's clearly what we've been discussing through out this entire thread.

Wether the R-Pro gains or looses strength based on it's rigidity isn't the issue. The issue is durability as a whole. However the upper hand is achieved, it doesn't matter. It does prove floppiness, but proves much more in the process.

You're almost saying the floppiness is in a way cheating, and shouldn't count in the test because it's not valid, because the two plastics aren't the same rigidity. Again I'll say however the upper hand is achieved, wether it's rigidity, the plastic is simply more durable, or the fact that it isn't as durable. This test would show, two plastics, put under the same conditions. Which fairs better for WHATEVER reason, is clearly more durable.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't beat like DX. It's so soft that it will flex instead of dinging. I played only 3 months with dart and the one I used the most is much softer than rest of them. So it doesn't ding but instead it becomes softer. If you would live in Finland/or I would live in there, I would sent them to you. I'm sure you would give em good home and they would be loved like your own:D

if you were 20 feet away from a wall, it would taco, the dx would bend up as well, but i have seen the effects of an r pro disc (a driver*) hitting a solid object close to the drive and it was no good, almost 90 degree bent

Hopefully Monday I'll be able to order the the two new disc, and I'll do the tests as soon as I get them.

it really doesnt matter how durable R-pro is if it flies like shit, plastics like that tend to break in really weird too, with FLX at least it will keep its initial stability for months and then just magically lose it all in one tree hit, ive messed with R-pro rocs and aviars and they are pretty much the same deal except they take a shorter time to reach the tipping point.

i got a sweet tourney stamped black jk if anyone is interested.

Jesse B 707 said:
it really doesnt matter how durable R-pro is if it flies like shit, plastics like that tend to break in really weird too, with FLX at least it will keep its initial stability for months and then just magically lose it all in one tree hit, ive messed with R-pro rocs and aviars and they are pretty much the same deal except they take a shorter time to reach the tipping point.

I haven't seen this in R-Pro and especially not in FLX. I might not have had my R-pro disc long enough or something, but some of them have taken a beating. I've had them for several months. They fly just the same as they did from day one. I stated in one of my earlier post I've had FLX Preds for nearly 3 years and it is STILL over stable. It's worn slightly less stable than if it was new. But, it's taken quite a beating as well, and sitll looks almost brand new, and hasn't magically went stupid under stable.

On the side of the R-pro disc, I have several, and even drove off the tee with my 165 Dart. I don't do it often as it's my main putter generally. But, it hasn't taken any damage, and the 175's I drove off the tee with before I got my Star's, the R-pro's never lost stability. I have given them hell and they just don't beat up. I have yet to find stability loss in them.

*Test* I just ordered the two disc. 170-172 DX Dart, and a 170-172 R-Pro Dart. They should be here next week.

Lithicon said:
Jesse B 707 said:

I haven't seen this in R-Pro and especially not in FLX. I might not have had my R-pro disc long enough or something, but some of them have taken a beating. I've had them for several months. They fly just the same as they did from day one. I stated in one of my earlier post I've had FLX Preds for nearly 3 years and it is STILL over stable. It's worn slightly less stable than if it was new. But, it's taken quite a beating as well, and sitll looks almost brand new, and hasn't magically went stupid under stable.

On the side of the R-pro disc, I have several, and even drove off the tee with my 165 Dart. I don't do it often as it's my main putter generally. But, it hasn't taken any damage, and the 175's I drove off the tee with before I got my Star's, the R-pro's never lost stability. I have given them hell and they just don't beat up. I have yet to find stability loss in them.

*Test* I just ordered the two disc. 170-172 DX Dart, and a 170-172 R-Pro Dart. They should be here next week.
maybe you arent throwing hard enough to hurt em

Well from the sound of it, people make them sound like paper mache, but I can throw consistantly 400'. I'm not always trying to throw these as if I'm throwing 400', but I can throw them around 300' pretty regularly. That's easily hard enough to damage most other plastics.

Latest posts