• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JoeMic's Bag

Joemic

Par Member
Well, I've got a full summer of serious play under my belt now, so I think it's time for a new bag thread with updated info. I've learned a lot from reading these forums and playing leagues, so here it goes.

Background:
-Years playing: Only about 3-4 months of actually playing for real; 3 years of Ultimate
-Other Sports: Baseball, Football, Lacrosse, Ultimate
-Throwing styles: Right-handed. Mostly BH off the tee, FH when necessary on approaches and drives, capable of OH shots
-Distances: Putters (~220'), Mids (~265'), Drivers (~300-325')

-Issues with the bag: I have difficulty feeling confident that I am choosing the right disc for each shot. This leads me to buy new discs and, as I've realized finally, just amplifies the lack of disc confidence. I want to work on simplifying my bag. Getting there, but still working.
-Short-term goals: Improve accuracy off the tee so as to stay in the fairways of my wooded courses
-Long-term goals: Increase distance so that I can compete better at leagues. Uphill shots are difficult for me and I end up missing out on birdie opportunities where others find them simple.

Drivers
-159g M Lace: There are only like two holes that I take this out for. I like to rip it on open field holes. Not many of those around here.
-169g S PD: More of a distance driver for me than a fairway. I use it when the fairways isn't too tight and I can afford the fade. Only a few holes I'm confident in throwing it without losing it into the trees.
-170g Z Avenger SS: I avoided throwing this disc for a long time because MSt has it as speed 11. I realized the rim is more like a speed 9 and I finally decided to roll with it as my wooded driver. Straight for me with a little fade at the end. Not much high speed turn, as it hasn't been beat up too much.
-169g Pro D Avenger SS: Long-range turnover drives. Pro-D isn't ideal, but it'll hold over until I beat up the Z.
-174g ESP Predator: I made the mistake of thinking that my wind fighters had to be super heavy. I can't get it up to speed, so I just use it for really hard fading shots, heavy winds, and OH shots.
-166g M Ascent: It's super beefy and IDK why! I was hoping it could be a straight fairway with fade, but it's like my Predator almost. Thinking I just need to hit some trees.
-168g M Trak: This has been a great disc for me. Very straight, tracks (ha) to the right a little, and then dies down with minimal fade. I've been using it for wooded shots that are too long for mids, but don't necessarily need A-SS distance. Differentiating between the A-SS and the Trak has been tough. Not sure why, but I can't seem to hyzer-flip this guy. Thinking about going with Leopards instead, but I'm not too wild about moving into Innova territory with the inconsistent plastics/molds.

Midranges
-169g Z Buzzz: This disc is money for me. I ditched it for a good 2 months, thinking I could find something better in an Ibex, Ghost, M4 (proto was super straight rather than US), or Comet. I had some luck with all 4 of those discs, but there's nothing like a Buzzz for me. This is where I've initiated my simplification. I'll use it on drives between 230-300'.
-167g ESP Buzzz: This was one of the first discs I bought when I started figuring out that high speed drivers were NOT what I should be getting. It's beat up now and turns over beautifully. Parked a 330' dogleg right at my home course for the first time ever with this disc. It hyzer-flips for me nicely as well.
-170g Pro D Drone: This is not the Drone that most of you are expecting. I got this disc as a gift 3 years ago when I had no idea what I was doing. I used it as a distance driver for a long time, nailing tree after tree after rock after log. As you all know, this plastic does not take a beating well. It's got gashes that I've smoothed over and now it's just absolutely straight when I rip it. I use this disc on downhill shots that I used to use putters for (my Judges turn right a little too much now, so that became an issue). Probably going to retire this when I figure out the putting situation.

Putters
-2x 175g Classic Hard Judges: My pink one is inside the circle only. My red one is the jump-putter and driver. The red driving putter has seen better days, and will not hold the straight line on longer drives anymore. It's okay for some holes, but really screws me on others. Should I get a better plastic Judge?
-175g Classic Soft Judge: I use this disc for drives or approaches that I want to avoid skips or roll-aways on. Not used often, but grateful for it when the situation arises.
-175g M V.P: Rare OS putter shots. High wind approaches.

That's everything, guys. I am very very open to new disc suggestions as well as pointers regarding holes in my shot selection. Again, I'm trying to simplify things a little bit, but I'm wary of getting OS discs because they seem to fade out on me too early. Thanks for reading, ya'll :D

Edit: I want to add one last thing. I have small hands! I have bought multiple beaded discs, but the added depth makes it very hard for me to grip. I like to throw shallow discs because of this. The Buzzz is very comfortable for me, for reference. I like the bead on my putters, but not for anything else.

Last edited:
Drivers
Get a Z Predator instead of your ESP, Z plastic helps OS discs stay OS longer than ESP. Though if you really don't think you can get your Predator up to speed then I'd say get a slower OS driver like a Banshee. Replace your D Avenger SS with an ESP Avenger SS. It may take a while to beat in to the stability that your D is right now but it will be worth it b/c it will hold the stability you want a lot longer than the D will. Another option is to just drop the Z & D Avenger SS & just cycle ESP Avenger SS's. Drop the Ascent completely & if your having problems with your Trak replace it with a Leopard or River.
Mids
I'd say drop your Drone b/c it overlaps with your Buzzz. If you want to you can power down an OS driver for shorter OS shots but I'd recommend getting an OS Mid like a Z Hornet or Ti Drone.
Putters
They look pretty solid, I don't know what your MVP OS putter is so I don't know how OS it is but I'd say get a Fuzion Judge for a driving putting. It could end up replacing your Soft Judge but if you feel you still like the Soft Judges ability to stick when it lands I could see still you using the Fuzion for drives more OS than the Soft Judge but less OS than your MVP disc.

Thanks discin! Your advice is always much appreciated. I think I'll take your advice on the Preds...mine happens to be heavier than all of my other discs, so I think that's the issue. I like the disc though. Thanks for the input on the Avengers as well, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

the hornet was actually going to be my next purchase, so you're dead on! I should clarify that that OS putter is a Medium x-link V.P. Sorry it looks like an MVP putter haha. Valid points all around. The trak/leopard/river point is one I need to decide on though. I think that speed/class will be my go-to in the woods considering my distance numbers

I'll throw my 2 cents in there.

I think your Avengers are fine. If the Pro D gets too flippy there is way you can fix that in less than a minute.

I say once the Ascent gets beat in a little it will start to throw how you want it.

I would drop the Trak for a River. Gold Line is a little Understable and the Opto is a little Stable. Don't go with a Leopard,they start out really stable and it takes a long while to get them broke in. The River pretty much flies as is out of the box,only getting just slightly flippier as it ages.

For your mids I would probably drop the Drone and get you a Latitude 64 Fuse and a Discraft Hornet. You'll have all areas covered in the mid range with a Buzzz,Fuse and a Hornet.

One thing I would look into on the Putters is get a Discraft Zone. This disc is a must in Everyones bag and I don't understand why everyone don't use one. This disc has saved me multiple times when all I have is a forehand or tomahawk out of the crap. Works well as it's a very overstable disc and can handle heavy winds no problem.

One other thing when picking drivers,mids and putters try to keep your weights the same. Some will say get this driver in a light weight and get this one in a heavy weight. I disagree a 100%. Make sure they are the same weight and if you need a bit more beef then use something more stable,not something heavier.

Oh and Putters drive better at 175. Just a tidbit of info I've picked up over the years. I should know I drive with putters all the time.

I would drop the Trak for a River. Gold Line is a little Understable and the Opto is a little Stable. Don't go with a Leopard,they start out really stable and it takes a long while to get them broke in. The River pretty much flies as is out of the box,only getting just slightly flippier as it ages.

For your mids I would probably drop the Drone and get you a Latitude 64 Fuse and a Discraft Hornet. You'll have all areas covered in the mid range with a Buzzz,Fuse and a Hornet.

One thing I would look into on the Putters is get a Discraft Zone. This disc is a must in Everyones bag and I don't understand why everyone don't use one. This disc has saved me multiple times when all I have is a forehand or tomahawk out of the crap. Works well as it's a very overstable disc and can handle heavy winds no problem.

In other words, throw exactly what StarFirebird throws lol.

Haha. I could see that working. He has small hands I have small hands. It would be a win win for him. :D

aside from star being able to throw a lot further than me, I'd say it would work just fine haha. Since I joined a few months ago, Star has consistently given me solid feedback that hasn't failed me to this point. It also helps that he gives his reasoning, rather than saying, throw what I throw because its awesome! Haha I always appreciate the advice and I probably will grab a river or two. I love my Trak, but it isn't versatile enough for my minimalist (sort of) goals. The V.P was supposed to be my Zone but that's not working out particularly well.

Thanks again Star. I try to reciprocate on the advice, but I don't quite have the experience haha

One thing I would look into on the Putters is get a Discraft Zone.

I'm with Star on this one. If you don't like your VP (MVP ;)) or it isn't OS enough for you definitely get a Z Zone. They are considered a putter but I consider them between a Mid & a Putter. You can get some good distance out of it even with how OS they are. Since you have small hands I bet you will enjoy it even more.

aside from star being able to throw a lot further than me, I'd say it would work just fine haha. Since I joined a few months ago, Star has consistently given me solid feedback that hasn't failed me to this point. It also helps that he gives his reasoning, rather than saying, throw what I throw because its awesome! Haha I always appreciate the advice and I probably will grab a river or two. I love my Trak, but it isn't versatile enough for my minimalist (sort of) goals. The V.P was supposed to be my Zone but that's not working out particularly well.

Thanks again Star. I try to reciprocate on the advice, but I don't quite have the experience haha

No problem man. :hfive:

I'm with Star on this one. If you don't like your VP (MVP ;)) or it isn't OS enough for you definitely get a Z Zone. They are considered a putter but I consider them between a Mid & a Putter. You can get some good distance out of it even with how OS they are. Since you have small hands I bet you will enjoy it even more.

thanks, discin! I'll definitely check it out tomorrow at MSt. Your advice is yet to fail me as well! Zones, Z Preds, and Rivers are my next ventures.

Played a round at borderlands this morning. Long wooded holes with a lot of technical nuances. The Avenger SS was awesome. I think mine is a freak, though. It's straight with a medium sized fade at the end. Really no turn on it. Works well, though. Perhaps the River will be what I need without the fade!

Yeah, get a Banshee instead of a Pred if you think the Pred is too fast. Banshees are plenty overstable and beat in to be really manageable. If you get a Zone, try using it for both your overstable mid and putter shots, it's kind of a 'tweener and definitely capable. If you get a River for the purpose of being out of the box understable, try and get a lighter GL or else it will probably overlap with your Trak or A-SS IMO.

If you have small hands like I do, and like Vibram, definitely look into a Summit if you feel like dropping the Judges.

Yeah, get a Banshee instead of a Pred if you think the Pred is too fast. Banshees are plenty overstable and beat in to be really manageable. If you get a Zone, try using it for both your overstable mid and putter shots, it's kind of a 'tweener and definitely capable. If you get a River for the purpose of being out of the box understable, try and get a lighter GL or else it will probably overlap with your Trak or A-SS IMO.

If you have small hands like I do, and like Vibram, definitely look into a Summit if you feel like dropping the Judges.

Thanks, Dave! I'll take your tips into consideration. After playing today's round, not sure I'll be grabbing any Rivers for now. Not until I can add some distance to my game anyway. Since I max out around 330', there likely wouldn't be a big enough difference between them and my Avengers. I'm hoping to keep adding distance so that the addition will mean something!

I still think you should get a River. :D

I think they have helped me out in being a lot better at finesse Driving. Kind of how a Comet helps you with form issues.

I still think you should get a River. :D

I think they have helped me out in being a lot better at finesse Driving. Kind of how a Comet helps you with form issues.

My wallet hates you haha. Despite saying that I'd hold off, I'm pretty certain I'll be walking away from MSt with one tonight haha. Oops.

I'm a little worried that my bag is made up of pretty much all understable discs, but it hasn't been a problem yet.

My wallet hates you haha. Despite saying that I'd hold off, I'm pretty certain I'll be walking away from MSt with one tonight haha. Oops.

I'm a little worried that my bag is made up of pretty much all understable discs, but it hasn't been a problem yet.

My wallet has been hating me as well as of late. :D

Latest posts