• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

just a cool story from dubs tonight

adamtheviking5

Throws only Pink Discs
So its weekly dubs at ford tonight and me and my partner are playing well enough to be in the lead so I'm having a good time. There's 2 ponds on the course and the lower one is currently undergoing renovation so its got a fence all the way around it and its 90% drained. As the remaining water dries up, discs become exposed and I happened to see one while we were walking between holes so I go through the fence and grab it. I took it over to the other pond and washed the mud off it to reveal that its an elite x xs with no ink. Pretty unexciting so I put it in the bag and continue the round. I didn't think about it again til this kid joey asks if he can chuck it on 18. I said sure and handed it over. When we get to the tee box for 18, he pulls it out and walks up. It was my box but whatever, we already got it sewed up so I don't care. We were -9. The next closest team is -7 and joey and his partner are behind them at -6. Joey backhands the xs out on a lazer beam line and it looks good as soon as he released it. When its halfway there I say "if it goes in, its yours". It holds the line and smashes chains and drops into the basket beautifully. He turns around for high 5's and celebration. Couple of us grab fivers out of our pockets and give em to him and we all throw our drives. We birdie, the guys who were in 2nd par and joey and his partner end up taking the 2 spot from them. WITH AN ACE! ON 18!! WITH POND MUD STILL ON IT!!! It was a very coool disc golf moment.

Had a similar situation with a friend a of mine while we were playing for tags. He hit an ace on #17 and ended up beating me by one. Thanks for sharing!

That's pretty awesome. Seeing/throwing aces is one of the coolest things in disc golf. I played Saturday night and watched my friend ace to steal my #1 tag. Then Sunday afternoon I watched another friend ace to keep the #1 tag he had won from my other friend that morning.

Lucky disc - a month ago it was under water and mud - then suddenly it's making an ace.

Talk about changing fortunes.

Just think, maybe that ace has been sitting, as the next throw, in that disc for months as it lay covered in mud and pond water. Poor guy that lost it probably never knew.

Does this mean I need to throw my whole bag in a pond and come back months later, fish them out, and start playing again? Still looking for my first ace.

That's pretty awesome. Seeing/throwing aces is one of the coolest things in disc golf. I played Saturday night and watched my friend ace to steal my #1 tag. Then Sunday afternoon I watched another friend ace to keep the #1 tag he had won from my other friend that morning.
That's some intense, tight competition! :thmbup:

I had a magical, pink ESP Buzzz that aced the very first time I threw it. A couple days later it ricocheted into a nasty, deep, bog-like pond where I left it. Occasionally I stop at the edge of the pond and pay my respects.

I had a magical, pink ESP Buzzz that aced the very first time I threw it. A couple days later it ricocheted into a nasty, deep, bog-like pond where I left it. Occasionally I stop at the edge of the pond and pay my respects.

Memphis course? Which one? I learned to play in the Memphis area.

So its weekly dubs at ford tonight and me and my partner are playing well enough to be in the lead so I'm having a good time.

If you weren't in the lead would you be having a good time?

:)

me and my buddies play by same rules, you ace i pay you five, you ace with my disc its yours to keep. i never let them throw discs i like on the off chance it might not come back.

Just think, maybe that ace has been sitting, as the next throw, in that disc for months as it lay covered in mud and pond water. Poor guy that lost it probably never knew.

Huh. Interesting way of looking at it. Now every time I lose a disc I'm gonna think about this.

If you weren't in the lead would you be having a good time?

:)

me and my buddies play by same rules, you ace i pay you five, you ace with my disc its yours to keep. i never let them throw discs i like on the off chance it might not come back.

Depends how many strokes bsck I am. Winning is always the most fun. I don't care what anybody says.

Here I am, thinking I really need to get to know the discs in my bag to shoot well. And that some very precise disc specifications are the answer to my problem---a 171g light-blue star sidewinder, from the early 2013 run, is the disc that will make me a star, I'm sure.

Only to have someone throw a mud-caked unfamiliar disc into the basket!

I never thought of it like that. I like it.