• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just curious, but why down vote a review?

Was wondering why I got so many thumbsdown on my review for Trophy Lakes, Charleston, SC? Plz help me become a better reviewer.

While it's hard to tell exactly why someone would thumbdown a review I think I have some ideas. You need more specifics. That review is very general in terms and comments. I could write a review like that about any average course. Put something in there that shows you were actually there like, "the mando on #6 halfway down the fairway is brutal." Or things to watch out for. It doesn't have to be a novel but more information would be good. Just try to think of all the things that would be handy to know for a first time visitor to the course.

Just put 2 new reviews up from my trip this weekend. Played 7 courses and reviewed the 2 that I felt had changes or info that people might want to know. I have 1 up and 2 down so far lol

I'd say thumbs-down raters need to provide feedback as to why they're thumbs-downing, unless the review is clearly a spam/troll (in which case it goes to mods/admins). Otherwise the reviewer has no idea what they need to add/change about their review to make it more useful to the community.

I'd say thumbs-down raters need to provide feedback as to why they're thumbs-downing, unless the review is clearly a spam/troll (in which case it goes to mods/admins). Otherwise the reviewer has no idea what they need to add/change about their review to make it more useful to the community.

There have been many times where I wish there was an option to do this both for reviews I've thumbed down and ones I have written.

There's always the PM option but that can get quite contentious if you are in disagreement. I've been told my review was wrong more than once lol.

I feel like people lately just like to go down the front page and give reviews a thumbs down. I don't understand the reasoning behind that...

I feel like people lately just like to go down the front page and give reviews a thumbs down. I don't understand the reasoning behind that...

After a couple of years of reviews with almost no thumbs down, I suddenly started getting a thumb down on every review I did. Got six thumbs down on seven reviews. I don't know if I made one person mad or if it was this trend that you've mentioned. Oh, well...

I've got more thumbs down in one or two reviews than you two have had all time. Somehow I've lived through it :)

After a couple of years of reviews with almost no thumbs down, I suddenly started getting a thumb down on every review I did. Got six thumbs down on seven reviews. I don't know if I made one person mad or if it was this trend that you've mentioned. Oh, well...

Yes! That has been my experience as well. Ah well, some people just do it just to do it.

I've got more thumbs down in one or two reviews than you two have had all time. Somehow I've lived through it

:) Hm, true. Maybe you could use a thumbs up.

Was wondering why I got so many thumbsdown on my review for Trophy Lakes, Charleston, SC? Plz help me become a better reviewer.

I agree with davetherocketguy, to describe a few of the aspects that you liked or didn't in detail so as to leave no doubt that you actually played the course. Not because everyone will assume that you didn't, it's just a good habit to pick up if you want to start reviewing courses more often. Plus if there are multiple things that you didn't enjoy about a course and you explain them in detail, you might save other like minded golfers a wasted trip. If they decide to go anyways and wind up saying to each other during their round "We should have listened to Chainsgoching's warnings" then they might log in when they get home and give you a thumbs up". Chalos13 mentioned giving navigational tips on courses that have multiple "next holes" that are hard to find. This is always something that I find helpful.

Last edited:

Latest posts