• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just discovered Disc Golf, very humbled by this game

toddy74

Hey guys, just moved from Boston to the country (about an hour west) and went to a couple parks and saw Disc Golf. Didn't really know what it was. I play many sports, teach golf, and I must say there has never been a sport that I've had more trouble with than Disc Golf. If you have any pointers for someone new to the game I'd appreciate it. Having trouble keeping my disc straight (they are going to the right and not very far) , im guessing this is very common for beginners like a slice in golf.

Last edited:
slow discs first. putters and mids.

this ... get yourself a midrange and a putter and learn to throw those.

also, try throwing from a standstill at first before trying a run-up.

edit - and don't be afraid to ask a local player for help/pointers! live help is eleventybillion times better than interwebz help.

this ... get yourself a midrange and a putter and learn to throw those.

also, try throwing from a standstill at first before trying a run-up.

Thanks for advice guys. Could be part of my problem. I have never practiced. The first time I played was literally an 18 hole round. Also if you have advice for a set of discs that'd be great. I'm buying a set tomorrow. Was using a friends.

youtube, also check out the technique thread tons of great information there too. No matter what have fun this is a great sport!!!

do not be in a rush to throw 400 feet there are few that can throw that far. Like its been said get a nice mid and putter and go to the course with those two discs for a bit. when you can start throwing your mid straight and about 250 ish you are on track.

Thanks for advice guys. Could be part of my problem. I have never practiced. The first time I played was literally an 18 hole round. Also if you have advice for a set of discs that'd be great. I'm buying a set tomorrow. Was using a friends.

get something like a roc or a buzzz and any putter. if you must get a driver, get a fairway driver, something slow like a leopard.

i always tell new players to forget drivers altogether and to learn to throw a midrange properly first; you could even start with discs like a cobra, stingray or stratus.

stay away from high speed drivers, you'll only get frustrated.

Best advice....RUN!!! Run now while you can and before you get sucked in by plastic sickness.:D Second best advice if you didn't heed the first...have fun. Start slow and work up and it will all come together eventually.

If you're planning to buy discs, I highly recommend you make your way to Marshall Street in Leicester. Both courses there, Pyramids or Maple Hill, have full pro shops stocked with a good variety of discs. Plus, and this is the most important part, they've got people working there who are knowledgeable and can help you pick the right discs for your skill level (and they might be able to give you a couple tips as well).

What you don't want to do is walk into a Dick's or some place like that and buy from them. Their employees are far less likely to be able to help you, and you might end up with the wrong discs for where your game is.

^^^^everything above^^^^

Take your time don't be in a rush and learn proper form and grip. Unless you are a super freak distance will be a slow process so don't rush it. This comes from my experience of not learning proper technique and injuring my elbow to the point that I had to stop playing for a year. Check Dan Beto on youtube he has a great technique and driving videos.

Awesome.. Get a mid like a buzz or a roc.. Putters get something light or under stable like a magic or magnet maybe try a dart.. Are you ordering online or going to a store to pick them out? An they are going right? Are you right handed or left handed?

If you're planning to buy discs, I highly recommend you make your way to Marshall Street in Leicester. Both courses there, Pyramids or Maple Hill, have full pro shops stocked with a good variety of discs. Plus, and this is the most important part, they've got people working there who are knowledgeable and can help you pick the right discs for your skill level (and they might be able to give you a couple tips as well).

What you don't want to do is walk into a Dick's or some place like that and buy from them. Their employees are far less likely to be able to help you, and you might end up with the wrong discs for where your game is.

This is exactly what I am going to do. I was actually going to play here this morning but wasn't sure if i could (was going to play at 6am). Saw on the website that the proshop doesn't open til 9. Wasn't sure if there was some sort of honor system box, or if i could just go out and play. This is where I will buy my discs tomorrow.

The most shocking thing to me about disc golf so far is that there is an active forum. When I posted this thread I thought maybe I'd get 1 response all day. Love that this is a game people are passionate about. Excited to learn and get better.

The most shocking thing to me about disc golf so far is that there is an active forum. When I posted this thread I thought maybe I'd get 1 response all day. Love that this is a game people are passionate about. Excited to learn and get better.

If you're interested in an active disc golf forum closer to home, check out the forums at nefa.com.

My advice is to watch a lot of Youtube videos. Make sure to stick to the professionally produced onces like the Discraft series.

They will teach you many techniques such as grip and form that are easier to learn visually than through words on an internet forum.

Since you said your discs go to the right, I'm assuming you are throwing Right Hand Forehand. Personally, I would advise you to start learning backhand NOW. Forehand may be easier for you to pick up quickly, but backhand will be better for you long term (learning both well is important, don't abandon either).

This is the an example of the series of videos you should probably be checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43F-tExi69E

Anything that says "Discraft Disc Golf Clinic"...watch it over and over until the techniques are stuck in your brain

In terms of disc selection, my suggestion right now is Leopard for a driver, Buzzz for a midrange, and Aviar for a putter. You eventually will branch out and get other discs, but you need to really get more advice and work on your technique first. Until you learn about disc flight characteristics, picking discs is an impossible task. Also, at your skill level, pretty much all discs are going to fly the same anyway.

And always remember: DO NOT get sucked into thinking that throwing far is the best way to improve your scores. While it certainly will help, a much faster way to improve your scores is to work on your short game.

Last edited:
My advice is to watch a lot of Youtube videos. Make sure to stick to the professionally produced onces like the Discraft series.

They will teach you many techniques such as grip and form that are easier to learn visually than through words on an internet forum.

Since you said your discs go to the right, I'm assuming you are throwing Right Hand Forehand. Personally, I would advise you to start learning backhand NOW. Forehand may be easier for you to pick up quickly, but backhand will be better for you long term (learning both well is important, don't abandon either).

This is the an example of the series of videos you should probably be checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43F-tExi69E

Anything that says "Discraft Disc Golf Clinic"...watch it over and over until the techniques are stuck in your brain

In terms of disc selection, my suggestion right now is Leopard for a driver, Buzzz for a midrange, and Aviar for a putter. You eventually will branch out and get other discs, but you need to really get more advice and work on your technique first. Until you learn about disc flight characteristics, picking discs is an impossible task. Also, at your skill level, pretty much all discs are going to fly the same anyway.

And always remember: DO NOT get sucked into thinking that throwing far is the best way to improve your scores. While it certainly will help, a much faster way to improve your scores is to work on your short game.

Oops, my discs are going to the left. I am throwing backhand> I am not even going to tackle the forehand for awhile.

Hey guys, just moved from Boston to the country (about an hour west) and went to a couple parks and saw Disc Golf. Didn't really know what it was. I play many sports, teach golf, and I must say there has never been a sport that I've had more trouble with than Disc Golf. If you have any pointers for someone new to the game I'd appreciate it. Having trouble keeping my disc straight (they are going to the right and not very far) , im guessing this is very common for beginners like a slice in golf.

Like many have said, don't be worried about getting big distance early. I've been playing about a year, and my max distance is about 240', although I seem a lot slower at picking up distance than others.

If you're going to an actual store then feel a bunch of putters and find what you like. Aviar, Challenger, Wizard and Rhyno are all pretty popular. Find a plastic type that feels good in your hand. Unlike your other discs, I'd recommend putters a little heavier.

Roc and Buzzz are probably the most popular midranged out there, but shark and cobra are both very good for beginners.

Def stay away from distance drivers. I have a couple I play around with, but I don't regularly use them. Teebird, Leopard, JLS are all very nice discs that fly really straight before their fade. Definitely lighter on your drivers, as close to 150 as you can get.

Latest posts