• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just watched winter time open

Philo is on fire this year, love the style too. Silky. Adam Hammes is great to watch for the forehand approaches. Mind-blowing to my noob eyes.

But what I'm most wondering is how to get my hands on a couple of those WTO Lunas...I think that's what I saw him putting with, had what looked like an oak stamp. I'm quickly becoming a fanboy.

And that Spradlin guy had some insane arm speed. . . he really cocks his wrist hard

Philo is on fire this year, love the style too. Silky. Adam Hammes is great to watch for the forehand approaches. Mind-blowing to my noob eyes.

But what I'm most wondering is how to get my hands on a couple of those WTO Lunas...I think that's what I saw him putting with, had what looked like an oak stamp. I'm quickly becoming a fanboy.

It's a picture of the spider hole (hole 4 I think)

Anyone from that region want to comment on why the dry creek bed is OB on hole 2?

Anyone from that region want to comment on why the dry creek bed is OB on hole 2?

It is our rainy season, so sometimes we have run off through there. Mainly though, without it being OB, it's a too easy of a hole.

Aesthetically speaking, a dry creek bed is pretty good OB for 30-days-of-rain-a-year-Southern-California.

Makes it a harder hole?

Why hole 2 & not the other 17?
The course looks pretty uninspiring...

If an area is ever considered OB with water, it should probably be permanently marked OB so the hole always plays the same.

I accept this answer as truth

It is our rainy season, so sometimes we have run off through there. Mainly though, without it being OB, it's a too easy of a hole.

Aesthetically speaking, a dry creek bed is pretty good OB for 30-days-of-rain-a-year-Southern-California.

I guess my point was that the course does not appear to be all that difficult, even with the manufactured ob, so why bother adding it at all.

DISCLAIMER: I've never played the course, but on film & paper it seems pretty short, wide open, & easy...

I guess my point was that the course does not appear to be all that difficult, even with the manufactured ob, so why bother adding it at all.

There, the gorge, and one of the desert holes (both of which the city recently took away) were the only common places we'd see water, especially during WTO, hence the OB.

DISCLAIMER: I've never played the course, but on film & paper it seems pretty short, wide open, & easy...

The course began with Ed Headrick throwing lids and, as with all courses in Los Angeles County, most of the regular holes are short, wide open, and easy.

I accept this answer as truth

This is an A tier on the first ever permanent course. They are also restricted by the city and are unable to do what they want. When this course was designed, length was not something on the mind of the designers. They have tried to extend it and make for more challenging holes but continue to get push back from the city and old timers that want to keep it the same.

I face the same pushback when I talk about making my home course more challenging.
It was designed circa 2000 and has enough spare land to add longer tees and more challenging basket locations.
Even the original designer wants to add difficulty and variety.
The old timers say that it would change the character of the course.
I won't analyze their motives, but the layout could be much improved by some judicious additions.

I face the same pushback when I talk about making my home course more challenging.
It was designed circa 2000 and has enough spare land to add longer tees and more challenging basket locations.
I won't analyze their motives, but the layout could be much improved by some judicious additions.

Whats your home course? Im from Eastern NC too.

I know there probably has to be agreement on any redesign, but have you talked to the old timers about splitting the course between half easy and half hard? Possibly make a survey with the option of "keep" or "redesign" on every hole. I'm sure there are some holes that are not as memorable. Keep the ones that are memorable and change the others, if possible.

Just thinking out loud.

I know there probably has to be agreement on any redesign, but have you talked to the old timers about splitting the course between half easy and half hard? Possibly make a survey with the option of "keep" or "redesign" on every hole. I'm sure there are some holes that are not as memorable. Keep the ones that are memorable and change the others, if possible.

Just thinking out loud.

Talked to them several times, and they refused to budge in the least.
The club did agree to women's tees and is installing those, but would not put in tees that were longer.
Again, not getting into motivation, but that's just messed up.

Last edited: