• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Katana..big D for little arms

What weight TL are you throwing? If you can throw a 175 champ TL then you would be able to throw a 166-168 Katana.

You guys are going to get my introuble with my wife. I am going to raid the family budget and go get one of these on Friday

If it will help just tell your wife, "at least I didn't buy 20 of them like that idiot on DGCR!"

I am that idiot, I have purchased over 20 Katanas since they came out! Still have small stock pile of them.

so its designed to provide big D for little arms..in the hands of big arms is it a flippy useless disc or not. Do big arms get better results out of stronger stability discs. Is the katana a mirage that might hamper my game...I have never thrown one. I throw a destroyer and wraith now and feel these are at my limit.

If you're throwing your destoyer and wraith 300-320' then I think the Pro Katana whould be best suited for your power. I have a 168 star worlds, 168 champ Selinski, and a 171 pro. The star and the champ are much more overstable than the pro with the champ being slightly the most overstable. I think if you could throw a valk 300'+ then you could throw a pro katana 20-25' further.

threw a pro 171 for the 1st time yesterday and it was nice

I picked up a 171 Pro Katana from the Morley Field pro shop in February. On Friday, I threw my first 350-foot RHBH drive with it. Before that, my longest was 330ft with a 172 Champ Valkyrie. A great disc, but it can flip violently in the wind.

Innova just wrote me back and said that the Production Star Katana is due to hit the streets "End of this month or beginning of May".

/I'll take 3 please Mr. Dunipace. 169, 172, and 175.

I am quickly becoming a fan of Katana... got one in a player package for Cracked Plastic Classic... field tested it and had it nose dive into a rock and get some experience... put it in the crate for a couple months... pulled it out today and bombed some long throws... about 50 ft gain on my drives... I am liking this disc more and more... can't wait to trade in my pro for some Star Plastic

ive never thrown a surge ss but...I throw a 171 champ... in my opinion the katana is a very fast understable disc that thrown at high speeds with hyzer it goes straight and then turns late with some fade at the end... its not really my furthest flying plate (i dont think, close though) it has deffinatly gotten me a bunch of eagle oppertunities on a par 5 on my home course (French Creek)... sometimes its a little too understable, could just be my fault for not throwing it right though... i do like it better then the nuke(but ive only thrown it a couple times though.

I usually throw a Star Wraith as my go-to max distance driver. Whenever I have my game in check and I'm not drilling trees, I can put the Wraith out to 300-320' on flat terrain. With my Star Katana, I can go an extra 20-30' assuming a tail wind or no wind.

Optidiscic - If you want to test drive a Katana, I could meet you at the Parkway and you can uncork it for yourself.

Heck, I might even have a 175g Star Katana for sale ;)

Katana

I was reading your thoughts on the Katana, I saw it for the first time last week! Great feel in my hand. Grip is second to none! But I am 49 years old and let me tell you last year I picked up an R-Pro Boss and if you only use it in open areas you can really see the increased distance. I really think Ive increased my distance by 50 ft. Beware hit a tree and you just inherited a great turnover disc. I can't wait to try the new Katana as well.

Yep. I like the R-Pro Bosses, but I've threw a Pro Katana this week a few times and haven't seen any extra distance. It has been windy and the Katana definitely didn't work in a headwind.

Yep. I like the R-Pro Bosses, but I've threw a Pro Katana this week a few times and haven't seen any extra distance. It has been windy and the Katana definitely didn't work in a headwind.
Maybe you need to steal one, disc stealer. :p

I usually throw a Star Wraith as my go-to max distance driver. Whenever I have my game in check and I'm not drilling trees, I can put the Wraith out to 300-320' on flat terrain. With my Star Katana, I can go an extra 20-30' assuming a tail wind or no wind.

Optidiscic - If you want to test drive a Katana, I could meet you at the Parkway and you can uncork it for yourself.

Heck, I might even have a 175g Star Katana for sale ;)

I may take you up on that...let me know if you wanna do a round at the parkway and maybe a stop by dodos as well.

Is a Katana like a Surge SS? A friend was telling me about his and the description seemed pretty similar.

I've thrown both of these discs and I can tell you that they are not even close to the same. When I throw the pro Katana it flips no matter what. The other day it flipped and accidentally turned into a roller at 400ft. Ended up going a really long way but the point is that for me the Katana is almost unusable. The Surge SS on the other still has a decent amount of stability on it and is a very useful disc for me.

I will say that if I could find a Katana that isn't as flippy I would use it all the time.

I've thrown both of these discs and I can tell you that they are not even close to the same. When I throw the pro Katana it flips no matter what. The other day it flipped and accidentally turned into a roller at 400ft. Ended up going a really long way but the point is that for me the Katana is almost unusable. The Surge SS on the other still has a decent amount of stability on it and is a very useful disc for me.

I will say that if I could find a Katana that isn't as flippy I would use it all the time.

From what I've thrown, the Pro Katanas are less stable than the Champs. The Champs are less stable than the Stars. That could be why it's so flippy for you. Take a Star Katana for a rip and see if you don't change your mind.

Latest posts