• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

keeping your cool

chuck_D

I recently have been losing my patients and just getting down on myself while playing. What do you all do to keep yourself grounded and in the moment? I know i get stressed out easily of the course and unfortunately it transfers to the course too.

One method: pushed off goals.

Pushed off goals? Yeah. I'll explain. In the most recent Discgolfer magazine there is an interview with open women's professional Ragna Bygda. Most of the article doesn't apply here at all, but it was one section where she referenced not goaling for a championship (or major win or something) before 2017.
So, coming into the running earlier than that was unexpected, a bonus, and no sweat if it didn't pan out. In other words, She allowed herself some breathing room on expectations.

So... To the advice: decide what the goals are, push them off beyond near reach and work on the skills and composure skills for now. You might find that when approached that way, the ultimate goals will come sooner. More focus on skills, less on scorepoints.

That is, if the frustration points are being triggered by not meeting goals. If its about overall self control in stressful situations then that's a different discussion that I'm not as well versed at.

Play for fun. If I'm not having fun, I don't play. Then I just go back to DG when it sounds fun again.

Good weather, good friends, good attitude and a fun course. That's what its about.

just show your stress, you are human after all and we all have stress.

i throw my discs at trees that are close. spike discs into the ground like a football. kick my bag/throw my bag at the basket.

almost every word is a swear word. be loud and proud. be creative with your vocabulary. general rule of thumb- 2 swear words to one regular word.

Play for fun. If I'm not having fun, I don't play. Then I just go back to DG when it sounds fun again.

Good weather, good friends, good attitude and a fun course. That's what its about.

I gotta agree with Mike C.

I remember the times I was injured and couldn't play at all for an extended period. It makes playing bad seem, well, not so bad.

Play for fun. If I'm not having fun, I stop playing. Then I just go back to DG when it sounds fun again.

FTFM

Troof.

Definitely DO NOT listen to elmexdela......ever!

i throw my discs at trees that are close. spike discs into the ground like a football. kick my bag/throw my bag at the basket.

almost every word is a swear word. be loud and proud. be creative with your vocabulary. general rule of thumb- 2 swear words to one regular word.

This guy knows what he is talking about:thmbup:

I struggle with this also, and it's something I've worked on my entire life but never quite conquered. When I find myself enjoying something new, I eventually get obsessed with mastering it. And when my expectations don't match my ability (which is always, because I have unrealistic expectations) I get frustrated.

In disc golf, that translates to expecting to match or beat my best round every time out. Heck, if I did it once, I should be able to do it every time, right? If you're like me, you're your own worst critic. And now something that started out as a lark and a pastime becomes something that suddenly I think is my career, or a measuring stick for success in life. It sounds crazy, but that's how I roll. But it isn't healthy and has led to no small degree or personal embarrassment over my antics when things don't go properly.

You get angry because of expectations. When you lower those expectations, the successes are more frequent, and the disappointments aren't quite so severe. We're all in the same boat - we play because we love the game, and because we love the game we want to be good at it. Nobody enjoys tramping through the forest looking for a lost disc, or bouncing a putt off the rim of the basket. But if you watch the pros, they do it too. So no one is immune. We just do it a little more often.

Remember the feeling you had when you first took up the game, how much fun it was before you expected to shoot a certain score, and the feeling of excitement you have when you get up in the morning knowing you get to go to the course today. And commit yourself to not letting your sense of expectation rob you of any of that joy. If you want to get really radical, play a round without keeping score.

If you can train yourself to keep that perspective, you'll enjoy the game more. And you'll probably play better when you're not lining up your next shot with the mindset that your family's next meal depends on whether or not you make it.

I think a lot of it comes with age and experience. I'm still known to kick my bag once in a while, but these days I get over it in seconds instead of hours.

I used to play a lot of poker, and was halfway decent at it (paid off a car, paid some bills, etc), but when the bad swings would come, it dominated my life and pushed me to make everybody miserable. When I was running well, it didn't make me equally happy, as I always thought that's the way it SHOULD be. I eventually had to give it up, because the lows were ten times lower than the highs were high. I was actually fortunate to get out before Black Friday, but that's beside the point.

At some point, you have to force yourself to take things for what they are...in this case, a fun pastime. If it's not that for you, walk away for awhile. If you truly love it, you'll come back.

Wow! Thanks everyone for the very insightful responses. The "pushing the goal away" strategy seems to be an interesting way of going about playing the game. I have to say some of my better rounds where were I was playing Doubles. I didn't have to worry about or over analyze each throw since I had a partner whom I had faith in as a player. Definitely will have to try this this weekend since I have a tournament.

when I want to play a round with a friend of mine I just send him a pic of Chuck D. Which came from me asking him multiple times previously "Hey wanna go chuck some d's?"......not a double entendre

Pretty much. And bring a couple beers lol.

In all seriousness, I get pissed at myself often when I play, missed putts that I make 9.9999 times out of 10. Rushing myself causes a lot of it. Just slow down, take a breath. Which doesn't always work for me, the I pull out the curse words and rifle another disc at the chains. Which deflects and I'm looking for it in the bushes with my tail between my legs.

I know this is trite, but after a bad shot your next shot is crucial. A bad drive followed by a great approach and a drop in par will make you feel better. Think about what you did wrong while you walk to the crap shot, you do need to figure it out and not do it again. Once that's done start thinking about the next throw you have to make. Develop a pre-shot routine that forces you to focus on what you're trying to do (not what you've already done).

I know this is trite, but after a bad shot your next shot is crucial. A bad drive followed by a great approach and a drop in par will make you feel better. Think about what you did wrong while you walk to the crap shot, you do need to figure it out and not do it again. Once that's done start thinking about the next throw you have to make. Develop a pre-shot routine that forces you to focus on what you're trying to do (not what you've already done).

this! on a serious note - I've been saying for as long as Ive played - "its all about the recovery shot". If your in the trees, nail that tommie to get out, or whatever that get out of trouble shot may be. for me, its a tommie with my eagle.

If I feel my round and/or attitude taking a turn for the worst, I switch gears to focus on practicing weaker shots in my game. Then poor scoring or execution is to be expected. Maybe the practice will pay off in the next round.........and when you pull off a few decent shots you are learning, it feels like a victory and lifts your spirits. Of course, a few just for fun rounds with your friends and a few cold ones is never a bad idea. Having a hissy fit here and there is normal, but being that guy all the time can ruin the game for others. Recently I missed a 7 foot putt and proceeded to empty half my bag in frustration putts.......as I began to clean up my stupidity, I notice the group behind waiting patiently:eek:.

I recently have been losing my patients

Are you even a real doctor?

I guess you dont play tournaments then?

Playing for fun only is all well and nice, but what if you are at a tournament and on hole 3 on saturday morning you really wish for nothing else but your bed at home? Do you just pack your things and go home?

I recently have been losing my patients and just getting down on myself while playing. What do you all do to keep yourself grounded and in the moment? I know i get stressed out easily of the course and unfortunately it transfers to the course too.

If I'm going to play well, I'll be too busy weighing/judging all of the necessary factors that go into reaching the basket in the least number of throws to get frustrated.

Focus where you should and the problem will go away.