• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kentucky - Summer 2020

I think we are going to attempt to do this plan. :thmbup:

Thursday: Idlewild (24 holes) and time permitting South Forks (9) twice. If Idlewild runs long and or kicks our arses we will drop SF and find a distillery. Start here since we are fresh and hoping a Thursday means the course will be less crowded.

Friday: Mt Airy (18) in the morning, lunch, then Osage Grove (18) in the afternoon.

Saturday: Back to KY and Lincoln Ridge (24 holes) to close things out. Hoping there is a not a tournament going on here that weekend. :hfive:

Plan to get hotel rooms near the Cincy/N KY Airport, any good night life places to hit up near here? Looking for good food and breweries. Thanks!

Looks like a good plan.

As you may already know, bring your A+++++ game for Idlewild. It's no joke. Sadly, I never got around to playing Mt. Airy or SF, but I do think you all will enjoy Lincoln Ridge and Osage.

Thanks. So Lincoln Ridge on Thursday is better than Idlewild? I was under the assumption Idlewild would be busy on the weekend so I had it first to avoid crowds. We can easily flip them as that works. You think LR will be busier than Idle on the weekend? Like to schedule the popular/busy courses for the weekdays (Thur/Fri) if possible to avoid crowds.

Short of actual tournaments, LR is ALWAYS more crowded than Idlewild.

It really draws from across the entire spectrum of skill levels. Everyone from chuckers to pros still play it because it's just so damn fun.

Honestly, most of the time I'm at Idlewild, there's maybe 3-4 other groups out there. The course is so vast that there's a good chance you won't even see the other groups.

Looking like it will be Thur (6.25) through Sat (6.27) when all of us are there and playing. I am hoping to take off Tuesday morning and play some courses along the way in Ohio or Indiana. Guess we will see which ones line up with the distilleries. :D

I think you're are in the clear for that Saturday. The two bigger events at Lincoln are in May and the first week of June.

Here the local club's event calendar for most of the region so you can keep an eye on it...

https://www.gcfda.com/main-calendar

The only thing that I really see that could pop up would be an event at Osage but that would be Sat/Sun if one does. That would likely actually benefit you, because they would have the course in great shape by Friday I would think.

Mason SP is really good 9holer. Has about every kind of shot you can think of for only 9 holes, except a just outright rip it as far as you can hole... but there is a football field right there for that.;)

Blow the dust off this old thread and check for any updates. Looks like it is finally back on for June 2022.

Update: I did sneak down for a weekend trip to meet a buddy and got a chance to play South Fork, Idlewild and Osage Grove. These were all as good or better than advertised. Idlewild in November is not Idlewild in June so looking forward to a second visit in better conditions. Never knew what an osage orange was until I visited the grove. :)

Looks like 7 of us (40-50 yrs old) playing dubs with a cali, so we can split into 2 groups and play quicker as needed. Five rounds over three days (Thur 2, Fri 2, Sat 1). Need to be close to airport on Saturday so that will either be Lincoln Ridge or Idlewild day. Thursday stay close so LR (or Idle) and South Fork. Friday TBD. Saturday Idelwild (or LR). Would be nice to drive south Friday and play in Louisville area and find some distilleries nearby. But hard to pass up Osage and Mt Airy.

Take a look at Stonelick near Osage Grove. It's a fairly new course that would make a nice second for a day in the Goshen area. I had a blast out there despite losing 5 discs to the drink.

If you're headed/staying south, also consider reaching out to InnocentCrook to see if Hidden Ridge will be available for play. It's a fun little spin that I hear is continually being improved (only played once).

Happy to see your plans coming back FP.

That said, by June I'm guessing Hidden Ridge will be closed for the Summer and not reopen until sometime around Sept./Oct.

Lucked out with some pretty great weather for June with temps below 80 degrees the whole time. Did have to deal with some storms that rolled in/out quickly. Lost one guy to broken elbow days before the trip so had 6 people and managed to avoid crowds and not cause any back ups. Four rounds of doubles and final rd of singles we split into two 3-somes to play quicker.

Wed morning got a little warm up at Boones Woods which ironically had one hole in the woods out of the first 11 I practiced. Few runs to the airport and a later round at South Fork after it rained.

Thursday at Idlewild and had it pretty much to ourselves in the early am. Good times, place was in good shape outside of a few less played holes. Skipped 4-5-6 and played 21 holes. Second round at South Fork, two rounds of nine. Really fun 9 hole course with some quick elevation changes.

Friday decided to go to Ohio and play Echo Valley and Osage Grove. Thanks Wolfhaley for Echo shout out, the course was pretty amazing and probably the favorite course of our group. Echo was in great shape and played the "shorts" only 7,800 feet for those. Moved on to Osage after that and skipped letter holes. Another good day of golf and courses to ourselves.

Finished up on Saturday at Lincoln Ridge and played 24 holes solo. Some really epic holes and then some afterthoughts mixed in mostly in the woods. Go from nicely manicured to ignored and back again. Really great trip so thanks to everyone who supplied some suggestions. I dont think we played a single dud, all quality courses in nice weather. Now to figure out where to go in 2023. :)

Sounds like an excellent trip. All of those are fun courses 👍

You didn't miss much skipping the letter holes at Osage. South Fork was a really well done 9er imo. Really glad I snuck that one in last month. And Echo Valley...Wow!!! That one was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Sounds like an excellent trip. All of those are fun courses 👍

You didn't miss much skipping the letter holes at Osage. South Fork was a really well done 9er imo. Really glad I snuck that one in last month. And Echo Valley...Wow!!! That one was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Agree completely. Did a scouting trip back in November with a buddy and we tried the letters at Osage and regretted it about 2 holes in. Some potential there but lots of work to do to make them more playable.

Echo with the morning dew, manicured fairways and about 65 degrees was wonderful. Beware of the practice basket as it has a pond directly behind it you dont see from the parking lot. Glad those C2 putts were short. Did have some nice restrooms at the opposite end of the parking lot by the playground. Park was cleaning them that morning as well. Very enjoyable park and course.